Tubular tyres pressure

lemotea

Tubular tyres pressure

Postby lemotea » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:23 pm

Hi, i'm just wondering what should be a proper pressure for tubular tyres? Sorry, I just try a tubular wheels and never done any race so it just keep bugging in my mind. I read couple of people only used like 120-140 psi for tubular but what deduce this act? Btw I have normal body weight like around 70 kg, sometimes can be lower than 65 kg. I think tubular can be pump up to 200 psi, even one specific brand can be maxed out at 220 psi. But anyone have tried to pump it near 200 psi? Or you did it when you just want to race? I heard tubular is more resistance compare to clincher one, but some can get flat on race, is it because over doing the pressure?
And there are pro cons for tubular, but people said tubular is faster because it's less weight compare with clincher, but is that only the reason? Isn't that also because you can put more pressure on the tyres, it makes the tyres more round hence less surface intact toward the road resulting less friction. Anyone can lighten more about this thing?

foo on patrol

Re: Tubular tyres pressure

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:27 am

The other way round Lemotea. Tubs have less resistance than clinchers. :wink:

Pressure is dependent on the brand, weight, and surface condition but would be looking at 125/140psi to start with. :)
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:06 am

lemotea wrote:Hi, i'm just wondering what should be a proper pressure for tubular tyres? Sorry, I just try a tubular wheels and never done any race so it just keep bugging in my mind. I read couple of people only used like 120-140 psi for tubular but what deduce this act? Btw I have normal body weight like around 70 kg, sometimes can be lower than 65 kg. I think tubular can be pump up to 200 psi, even one specific brand can be maxed out at 220 psi. But anyone have tried to pump it near 200 psi? Or you did it when you just want to race? I heard tubular is more resistance compare to clincher one, but some can get flat on race, is it because over doing the pressure?
And there are pro cons for tubular, but people said tubular is faster because it's less weight compare with clincher, but is that only the reason? Isn't that also because you can put more pressure on the tyres, it makes the tyres more round hence less surface intact toward the road resulting less friction. Anyone can lighten more about this thing?
At 70kg, 100psi front and 110psi rear will be HEAPS for a 23mm tyre.

The most I would run is 110psi front and 120psi rear.

If you are running 19-21mm tyres then run with 110psi front and 120psi rear.

Unless its for track racing on a perfect surface I would never run more than 120.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

lemotea

Postby lemotea » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:33 pm

Ow, so actually it's less resistance compare with clincher? Oh wow, I thought it was the other way. Thanks for the info.

So it is safe to put at 110-120 psi, I get it. I almost put it like 140 psi and if something happen, damn would be really expensive to replace the tyre. Thanks guys for the advices.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:20 am

lemotea wrote:I almost put it like 140 psi and if something happen, damn would be really expensive to replace the tyre. Thanks guys for the advices.
140 psi would probably be fine, but it mightn't be super comfortable.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:25 pm

lemotea wrote:Ow, so actually it's less resistance compare with clincher? Oh wow, I thought it was the other way. Thanks for the info.

So it is safe to put at 110-120 psi, I get it. I almost put it like 140 psi and if something happen, damn would be really expensive to replace the tyre. Thanks guys for the advices.
If you go 110 in the front and 120 in the back they'll ride sweet and should be pretty punchure resistant.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:25 am

i weigh 74kgs and run 120psi on both clinchers and singles
when do we stop for coffee???

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:55 pm

I run all my Veloflex tubulars at 10 atm ( ~150 psi). I outroll everything. I need to pump them second daily, but what the hell....
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:11 pm

I always dropped the pressure after the racing on my good singles (strips/tubs) as did all of the other riders. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

aeroslave

Postby aeroslave » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:40 am

Zipp website has recommended Tubular tyre pressures front and rear depending on weight for RR.
http://veloviewer is broken/SigImage.php?a=33 ... ij&z=a.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

david198728

Postby david198728 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:56 pm

it's depanded on what condition of road u ride on. i usually ride on 120 Psi in national park

notwal

Postby notwal » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:26 pm

foo on patrol wrote:The other way round Lemotea. Tubs have less resistance than clinchers. :wink:

Pressure is dependent on the brand, weight, and surface condition but would be looking at 125/140psi to start with. :)
From what I have read this is not really the case or at least it's not that simple.
As a rough rule high end clinchers have the best (lowest) rolling resistance except for track type tubs that are properly mounted with the correct glue.

http://biketechreview.com/tires
(Click on Roller Data pdf.)

These tests are not definitive but the way I read them they supports the general superiority of clinchers in that regard. However the difference is moot. Rolling resistance varies with things like grip and road surface. If you are keen it may be worth a bit of research.

The effect of higher pressure on RR seems to be over rated too. It really is better to keep the pressures lower for the road. You get better grip, better wear, better comfort at very little increase in RR. I haven't seen any tests of this except for a very rough one but this seems to be the general consensus. Ripping downhill into a corner on chipseal with your teeth rattling would you prefer the confident grip and comfort of 90 psi or the dubious grip, blurred vision and numb hands of 120 psi ?
judged, insulted, gone

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:44 pm

If I recall correctly, I read a detailed article from a University research lab in the Netherlands which elegantly looked at clincher/tubular RR. The tubulars were well out infront. Certainly my experience on the road!
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

notwal

Postby notwal » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:52 pm

Have a read of this. It's a pretty good discussion of the topic of rolling resistance:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2007/06/ ... ance_12493
judged, insulted, gone