Panniers

rifraf

Panniers

Postby rifraf » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:36 pm

Well Wiggle had what I think was a good promo code on Friday evening and I decided to get
amongst some other goodies some panniers for the front of my bike.
Having looked through a few posts, having done a search, I hope I've made a fair choice by getting
some Ortlieb Front Roller Classic Panniers (Yellow/Black to match my yellow frame).

http://s.this link is broken/images/ortlieb-fr ... 0-zoom.jpg
Their price (with the discount) was 56.66 pound or $87AU in todays exchange rate which I thought was very competitive

Just thought I'd ask for any thoughts, opinions, tips etc
My last panniers were Macpac and I found them a bitch to keep clean and not very waterproof
after their first year of use.
I thought these looked easy clean from their shiny coating and I've heard elsewhere of their waterproofness.
Do they cope ok with the fierce Aussie sunshine?
Anything I need to know to look after them properly?
Should I have asked more questions before biting the bullet?
They have already cleared customs this morning so I wouldnt be surprised if they arrive tomorrow so
that DHL delivery is something else.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

trailgumby

Re: Panniers

Postby trailgumby » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:04 pm

I have the Back Rollers in Grey. They're awesome. Yes, waterproof. Tough as nails. Not worth the $400+ you'd pay locally, but well worth the $134 I paid from Wiggle.

I'd say I'd happily buy them again, but doubt I'll ever need to do so ... unless some idiot hits me again. :roll:

$87 is a great buy.
Last edited by trailgumby on Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:04 pm

rifraf wrote: I hope I've made a fair choice by getting
some Ortlieb Front Roller Classic Panniers (Yellow/Black to match my yellow frame).

http://s.this link is broken/images/ortlieb-fr ... 0-zoom.jpg
Their price (with the discount) was 56.66 pound or $87AU in todays exchange rate which I thought was very competitive
That is an absolute bargain - very well done.
rifraf wrote:Do they cope ok with the fierce Aussie sunshine?
Yes.
rifraf wrote:Anything I need to know to look after them properly?
Not much. Keep them away from sharps and sparks. Keep an eye on the bolts on the wheel-side face and strap mounts. I had one come off and several became loose. Luckily I'd already bought a spare lower mounting bar and it had the required bolt to use.
rifraf wrote:Should I have asked more questions before biting the bullet?
No. You know you can also buy clip-on pannier pockets that you can fit to them. Not so cheap, but very worthwhile IMHO for those little odds and ends you want to have easy to access.
rifraf wrote:They have already cleared customs this morning so I wouldnt be surprised if they arrive tomorrow so
that DHL delivery is something else.
Lucky you. Ready to tour !!
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:22 pm

il padrone wrote: Lucky you. Ready to tour !!
Nearly IP :D
I ordered a front rack on Friday as well (not wiggle) but its turned somewhat to custard.
First the website lied and there was no stock instead of the 1 it suggested it had.
Second it failed to accept my postage fee.
It had no probs accepting the price of the rack off my visa though.
After three calls to England I got someone who believed they could talk me through it.
Their bloody website ended up taking 16 pounds too much.
Despite another phone call which told me theres a supply delay of a couple of weeks
I still dont have my refund.
Its a wait and see what happens deal.
Last edited by rifraf on Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:28 pm

trailgumby wrote:I have the Back Rollers in Grey. They're awesome. Yes, waterproof. Tough as nails. Not worth the $400+ you'd pay locally, but well worth the $134 I paid from Wiggle.

I'd say I'd happily buy them again, but doubt I'll ever need to do so ... unless some idiot hits me again. :roll:

$87 is a great buy.
Thanks Trailgumby,
my wallet is somewhat assuaged with that knowledge and your willingness to buy them again.
I usually ask more questions before I click the buy now but I did see some positive comments
in this forum including one of Ronks which tipped the scales toward making a purchasing decision
and I've been tormenting myself over a front rack and panniers for a while now..
I've got a front flat rack suitable for carrying my camera gear but the I've not been 100% satisfied having
wondered every time I see a bike with front panniers go past.
It'll nice to have a choice me thinks.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:04 pm

Wiggle goodness :!:
The wiggles came through with flying colours this time (well yellow and black anyway) :!:
I wasnt expecting internal pockets but they have them.
Ordered very late Friday or it might have been very early Sat and they are here Tuesday morning
which is great. :D
Just gotta wait and see now what happens with regards to my rack. :roll:

RonK

Panniers

Postby RonK » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:59 pm

If your rack has 10mm tubes, use the large hook inserts, not the small ones.

According to Ortlieb support, the reason for complaints about the inserts falling out is because the small size is used.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:20 pm

This does not make any sense to me :?

The small inserts are designed to be used on 7mm rod racks. If you used these with a 10mm rack the rack hooks would not sit down properly, your security clips would not close on it, and pretty soon your panniers will bounce off :roll: . I have 10mm Tubus racks and eventually the insert clips have become loose in the rack hooks, eventually falling out of the rear panniers when I take them off the rack. I am using the larger inserts The bags still fit on securely, so I haven't bothered about getting new hooks at present.
Mandatory helmet law?

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:11 pm

I bought a pair of backrollers a while ago ($110 or so from PBK), the one has about 9 months of daily commuter use on it - no dramas at all, should be good for years yet.

When it does wear out, I've got a spare ready to go. 8)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:26 pm

lethoso wrote:I bought a pair of backrollers a while ago ($110 or so from PBK), the one has about 9 months of daily commuter use on it - no dramas at all, should be good for years yet.

When it does wear out, I've got a spare ready to go. 8)
Hi Lethoso,
thanks for the vote of confidence in the Ortliebs :)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:41 pm

RonK wrote:If your rack has 10mm tubes, use the large hook inserts, not the small ones.

According to Ortlieb support, the reason for complaints about the inserts falling out is because the small size is used.
il padrone wrote:This does not make any sense to me :?

The small inserts are designed to be used on 7mm rod racks. If you used these with a 10mm rack the rack hooks would not sit down properly, your security clips would not close on it, and pretty soon your panniers will bounce off :roll: . I have 10mm Tubus racks and eventually the insert clips have become loose in the rack hooks, eventually falling out of the rear panniers when I take them off the rack. I am using the larger inserts The bags still fit on securely, so I haven't bothered about getting new hooks at present.
Hi Guys,
I'm unsure yet what the diameter of the tubing used on my yet to arrive front pannier rack.
One good point is that it is made of Reynolds 525 steel tubing - spiel from argoscycles.com:
"Introduced in 1998 Reynolds 525 took over from the legendary 531 mark.
Suitable for all frame designs. Ideal for heavy duty touring frames, commuting, ATB & Audax.
Reynolds 525 - Cold Drawn
UTS - 48 - 58 Tsi
100 - 130 Ksi
700 - 900 MPa"

Not sure what all the above waffle ( "I" posted above about UTS, Tsi, Ksi, MPa etc.) is about - I'm just going from some of your own comments in this forum with regards to steel being better material due to its easy repair (on the trail) qualities for racks.
Another good point in its favour is it has two bidon(?) mounts

After lots of head scratching and some swearing at myself I figured out how to roll the tops and close them properly.
This is great as I hadn't worked out how to close the yellow wet weather bag on my recently acquired Bob trailer and now I'll be able to do it.
After living in NZ for some years I've yet to get over my fear of getting everything drenched every time I go out so paranoia alleviated
I'll be more inclined to get out and about.

elStado

Postby elStado » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:28 pm

Yeah I have the Ortlieb Back Roller Plus panniers in red/black. They are awesome. Very lightweight, waterproof, solid design and construction etc.

Cost me around $140 at the time after discounts etc.

Just ordered a rear rack for myself (Tubus Cosmo) so I can start using them properly on my Orbea which I am converting into a grocery shopping or loaded commuter bike for when I need to carry larger loads or don't feel like riding the fixie.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:12 pm

Another thumbs up for the roller classics. I have a full set in orange/black.

I use the little front ones the most for general day to day stuff. Put the tube/multitool and other junk in it, with plenty of room for other stuff. The bigger rear panniers only come out when I need the room or for touring when I need them all+ a rackbag!. I constantly overload the little ones, I dont recommend it but they will hold 4 longnecks,tube,tool and assorted junk :lol:

I dont use the strap either, just clip the ends to themselves. I find it easier and very quick once you get the hang of it.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:23 am

Baldy wrote:I constantly overload the little ones, I dont recommend it but they will hold 4 longnecks,tube,tool and assorted junk :lol:
On the front, the Sportpacker Classics are a bit bigger capacity, and I prefer to have the flap-over design for a bit more versatility in packing (some things you want handy, or that are wet can be quickly stashed under the flap).

Mandatory helmet law?

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:27 am

il padrone wrote:On the front, the Sportpacker Classics are a bit bigger capacity, and I prefer to have the flap-over design for a bit more versatility in packing (some things you want handy, or that are wet can be quickly stashed under the flap).
I'm curious about this design. Apart from Rifraf :wink: , I think most would understand how a roll-top closure works, so I was not troubled about ordering my Rollers online. But I've never seen a picture of a Sportpacker with the lid open, and I've never seen one in a bike shop, so I wouldn't buy them, sight unseen.

Does the bag have some kind of drawstring closure under the lid, like a rucksack :?: Does the lid close and seal properly if the bag is not full :?:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:40 am

Yes, double drawstring closures (inner one to give an extended throat when fully packed) and then the flap covers it fully. No problem with closing the lid when it's full nor closing it when it's part-empty :? . I have never had any water ingress into my panniers. They are perfectly rain-proof, but not 100% waterproof ie. if they were submerged fully underwater for a few minutes they may leak. My sort of touring does not involve this treatment.

Mandatory helmet law?

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:04 pm

But use the roll tops if this is more your thing
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:19 pm

When I said I overload them I meant weight not space. I do like the look of those backpackers though, they were a bit more expensive when I was in the market for panniers. I dont need anymore space though, with the panniers and a M rackbag being enough.

I cant find it but I thought I read the front roller classics have a 5kg load limit? That could be rubbish though....
All I know is when it has 4 longys, U-lock and other assorted junk things start flexing :lol: I would not tour with that kind of weight in them but just for the short trips here and there.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:53 pm

Baldy wrote:I dont need anymore space though, with the panniers and a M rackbag being enough.
Depends where you're heading and for how long (my bike on the right)

Baldy wrote:I cant find it but I thought I read the front roller classics have a 5kg load limit? That could be rubbish though....
Yep, that'd be rubbish. I'd estimate I've carried up to about 15kgs in mine - fully loaded with food for 5-6 days. They handle it in style.
Mandatory helmet law?

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:55 pm

Yeah of course some people need or want more space. All I was saying is I am not one of them. Not for what I plan to do with the bike.

You put 15kg in each front pannier? Even if they could take it Im not sure I would like that much weight up front.

The 5kg figure could be from anything :oops: :lol: I never weighed each pannier loaded, just the bike and all which was about 45kg[15kg bike with 3ltrs of water]

It will probably take me the rest of my life to do the amount of touring you have done already, its just a small part of my cycling addiction so this works for me now :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:06 pm

Ah, I see. My error. Yes I meant 15kg total in the two front bags - so 7-8kgs each side. 5kg sounds still a good bit low for their maximum.

The real determinant anyway is the quality of your front rack. Tubular steel > aluminium.
Mandatory helmet law?

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:38 pm

Ah gotcha, yeah I reckon thats about what I had in mine,food/tools/cooking and stuff, anything small and heavy.

When they were full the front ones felt as heavy or even more than the rears,with the idea of making the front wheel do its share of the work[not my idea of course but it made sense to me].

Ok I will pull some more figures out of the mire between my ears.....

Typical ali rack rated to 22-25kg. With the Tubus cromo or SS being rated at 40kg. That is the rear. I cant remember anything about the front?

I have the sexy SS front and rear 8) I got them for the capacity,no rust and looks. I didnt realize at the time they were roughly the same weight as the ali ones.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:51 pm

I use the Cargo on the rear, yes rated to carry 40kgs. On the front I use the Duo - rated to 15kgs. The Tara has a similar weight rating, as does the ss Nova.

I doubt that I will ever carry a load of 55kgs in luggage :o . I normally carry 20-25kgs, sometimes as much as 30kgs for remote tours. So the racks have an excellent safety margin.
Mandatory helmet law?

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:07 pm

Well I've left a question on the Moulton owners website with regards to tube diameter on my ordered
front pannier rack so might have an answer soon and know which inserts will be used on the Ortliebs. :?: :arrow:
Its actually for the TSR model but apparently fits fine with some different bolts and spacers.

Ronbellows

Postby Ronbellows » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:18 am

Moulton Tsr rack is 9.75 mm diameter. I have found the ortlieb panniers/tsr Rack/drop bar combination a bit tight. My bar end shifters sometimes get caught on the tops of the panniers.