My First Road Bike Azzurri vs Giant your thoughts please???

trojan

My First Road Bike Azzurri vs Giant your thoughts please???

Postby trojan » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:37 pm

Hi All,

Im looking to make the switch to road and need a little help please...

Currently looking at the Azzurri Primo with ultegra groupset full carbon frame.

Against the Giant tcr c1 full carbon with ultegra groupset also.

I dont know much about the Azzurri and would love some advice, also looking at the orbea vento euro, alluminium frame with carbon front/rear and campag centaur groupset. priced at approx 3,400.

Am i better off staying all carbon or is a mix ok as with the orbea.
Im 6ft tall weigh 90kg.
Looking to train up to do the around the bay and possibly a few tri's next year.

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:24 pm

Anything you buy in that price range is going to be a damned good bike. From what you say, you aren't in a position now to drain every poofteenth of performance out of the bike, so go with the one that fits you best and which tugs at your heart.

Be aware that carbon bikes (and parts) are non-repairable and damage from bingles comes from the inside - ie, you don't know it's breaking until it's broke. That means that a carbon bike is potentially less long lived than a mainly metal bike (because sooner or later you will crash it), but there's no evidence that carbon wears out more quickly and in a decent crash, you can write off any bike if you're unlucky.

The bling merchants and weight police will go into raptures over saving a milligram here and there, but think about it - you weigh 90 kg, how much bike weight do you need to save before it makes a significant impact on the TOTAL weight (bike and rider).

I don't think you need to go any higher than Ultegra components, but if you've got the money and don't mind spending it, Dura Ace is better. And don't forget to look at Campy gear either - many a love affair has been forged with Campy bit. But go for whatever floats your boat.

If you were a serious, front line racer the relative differences might be important but to be honest, for the rest of the world, the fit of the bike and your fitness and skill are more important. Of course, I can point you to forums where such a comment would be howled down as heresy :?

As I've said often enough for it to be my mantra - look long, think hard, then buy the bike you fall in love with. :D

Cheers
Richard

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:01 am

You could probably consider the Trek 5000 at around the same money too. Personally, I think that everyone has a Trek, but they are quality.

I was recently looking for something similar to you by the sounds of it. Had made up my mind based on pictures from the web :P but the minute I went into my local, I saw IT.

I'm now the proud owner of a very sexy Scott CR1. I reckon it is possibly THE nicest road bike I have ever laid eyes on!! :D I am totally unbiased!! :wink:

I hadn't even considered them before even though I had read about the brand in Tri and bike mags. I will now be cheering for the Saunier-Duval Prodir guys on the pro tour.

Check out www.scottusa.com.

It is amazing how you can just fall in love with a bike the minute you see it...if the cr1 didn't fit me properly, I would have grown or shrunk until it did :P

Moo...

europa

Postby europa » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:17 am

I'm guessing you agree with the sentiments I expressed in my last sentence mooster :D

I enjoy a good love story. My girlfriend thinks this is a nice quality, but she fails to understand what I mean by a 'love' story :wink:

Trojan, Mooster said it all.

Richard

europa

Postby europa » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:22 am

I've just checked out that CR1 - hopeless bike - nowhere to put the rack :shock: How would I carry home my cask of Chateau Cardboard :wink:

Richard
equally in love. Did you know I bought a new bike recently?

merida901

Re: My First Road Bike Azzurri vs Giant your thoughts please

Postby merida901 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:20 am

trojan wrote:Hi All,

Im looking to make the switch to road and need a little help please...

Currently looking at the Azzurri Primo with ultegra groupset full carbon frame.

Against the Giant tcr c1 full carbon with ultegra groupset also.

I dont know much about the Azzurri and would love some advice, also looking at the orbea vento euro, alluminium frame with carbon front/rear and campag centaur groupset. priced at approx 3,400.

Am i better off staying all carbon or is a mix ok as with the orbea.
Im 6ft tall weigh 90kg.
Looking to train up to do the around the bay and possibly a few tri's next year.
OK here we go.

Get yourself a copy of the latest Bicycling Australia as it has ride reports on both the Trek 5000 and the Azzuri Primo. There have been reports (not only the one in the mag) about the Primo haveing bent rear deraliur hangers and the drop outs being slightly out of line. The Trek 5000 is a great looking machine but it is a Trek. The Giant you mention is a nice bike as well but doesn't every one mention this bike.

If my opinion is worthless then i would be looking at either the Orbea or maybe even a Merida just to be different. Giant are great and so are the Trek but why not ride something that stands out a little?

Just my thoughts. Go for the Orbea.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:10 pm

The biggest difference in performance is to be gained not from the bike but from the rider. Get the bike you personally like and focus on fitness and weight loss.

Ricard is correct in saying that carbon is a less forgiving materal. One stack could be the end of the frame.

For the bike, look for a good fit to you, to ensure that the bike gets the best performance out of you and stiffness in the bottom bracket, rear stays and rear wheel, as this will ensure the most efficent transfer of energy from the rider to the ground. The weight of the bike isn't as important as the transfer of energy. And get good shoes that have stiff soles, preferably carbon that fit your feet correctly, as the shoes are integral in transferring the energy.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?