Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

mattg

Re: Point Cook (Melb) weekend rides

Postby mattg » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:35 pm

Gents, just checking in to see who is up for the ride this weekend. I know a few of the regulars are out this week, but if anyone is interested let me know.

regards

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:02 pm

mattg wrote:Gents, just checking in to see who is up for the ride this weekend. I know a few of the regulars are out this week, but if anyone is interested let me know.

regards
The weather is not looking good...
I wil decide in the morning what I wil do.
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

w00dsy

Postby w00dsy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:03 pm

i'll be the same, if it's crappy i'll try again on sunday, maybe down to Geelong and back.

ecosse

Postby ecosse » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:28 pm

Looks a bit rough tomorrow and similar on Sunday, lets wait and see.
ecosse (the Scottish guy)

mattg

Postby mattg » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:20 am

Gents, I am out today, the wife is crook and I'm on daddy daycare duties. The weather looks alright through. Ride safe.

Ozzie

Postby Ozzie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:19 pm

Hi guys hope your'e all keeping well. I'm back and keen to head out again this weekend Saturday 17th September. Who's in for a ride ? Plan to head off from Degani Coffee Shop Point Cook Town Centre usual time 8.00am departure. Regards Colin.

w00dsy

Postby w00dsy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:24 pm

I should be there.

ecosse

Postby ecosse » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:27 pm

count me in, weather looks good, always a bonus...
Ecosse

w00dsy

Postby w00dsy » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:12 am

ever since i left you guys i've been singing 'i'm Popeye the sailor man toot too' in my head. It's cheaper than an iPod i suppose.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:34 am

w00dsy wrote:ever since i left you guys i've been singing 'i'm Popeye the sailor man toot too' in my head. It's cheaper than an iPod i suppose.
:mrgreen:
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Ozzie

Postby Ozzie » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:26 pm

Good ride again today boys. Don and I continued on for a short trip around Werribee back beach when we got back to Point Cook.
See you all again next Saturday hopefully the weather is as kind as today. Same time same bat channel 8.00 am departure 24th September Degani Coffee Shop. If everyone that looks like showing up does should be close to 10 riders next week.
Take care have a good week at work. Colin.

w00dsy

Postby w00dsy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:32 pm

i won't be there this week, instead i'm heading down to Queenscliff via Geelongs Ring rd etc, i've always wanted to ride that. But i'll be taking my old flatty, i took my wheel in to see what they could do about my constant spoke issues and they said it'll be a warranty issue now. The guy looking after it went on holidays early this week and forgot to tell anyone it seems, so when i dropped in yesterday to ask how it was going they were rather surprised. So the old comfy bike comes out for a fang down the highway. Have fun lads, Hooligan, don't toot too many ladies :D

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:00 pm

w00dsy wrote:i won't be there this week, instead i'm heading down to Queenscliff via Geelongs Ring rd etc, i've always wanted to ride that. But i'll be taking my old flatty, i took my wheel in to see what they could do about my constant spoke issues and they said it'll be a warranty issue now. The guy looking after it went on holidays early this week and forgot to tell anyone it seems, so when i dropped in yesterday to ask how it was going they were rather surprised. So the old comfy bike comes out for a fang down the highway. Have fun lads, Hooligan, don't toot too many ladies :D
Hope you get your wheel sorted soon, and euh, I toot as many ladies as I please, o.k.. 8)

Have fun in queenscliff, it's a good ride.
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

wallaby

Postby wallaby » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:46 pm

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie here, to road biking, and just wondering what are your favourite routes for riding around Pt Cook/Werribee/Altona/Williamstown areas.

I'm not up to riding on the weekend rides yet and am looking for some nice routes to get me out and started (say no more than 1 hour ride) for the rides on weekday mornings. I am in Pt Cook near the town centre.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - and any hints regarding appropriate roads to use and those NOT to use (with all the roadworks etc that are going on) would also be appreciated!! :D

migz05

Postby migz05 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:57 pm

Wallaby,

the best way to learn is to come join!

anyone going for a pre GF ride this week?
Giant TCR Advanced 1 2011
Malvern Star Switch 29-3

wallaby

Postby wallaby » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:10 pm

Thanks for the offer, but the confidence is not quite there yet - I need to control these damn shoes/clips first, then I'll be a bit more confident to go for a nice long ride!

Out of interest, what is your rough pace and how long do you guys generally ride for? (rough guide, to know where I should be aiming)
Kym
2012 Giant Avail 1 (black and white, not pink!)

vman

Postby vman » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:23 pm

migz05 wrote:Wallaby,

the best way to learn is to come join!

anyone going for a pre GF ride this week?
Don't think I'll join in tomorow forecast is rain as well which sux!

Wallaby, what Migs said is right! Best to come along as we have riders at different levels anyway.
We usually average between 22 to 25km/h. Some may speed ahead but will then slow down for the
rest to catch up.

wallaby

Postby wallaby » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:57 pm

Awesome guys, thanks for that. I can do 22km/h ish.

Won't be around til the end of October though as hubby is going away and I am sole carer of the kidlets in the meantime. That'll give me time to practice clipping/unclipping my shoes :)
Kym
2012 Giant Avail 1 (black and white, not pink!)

three214

Postby three214 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:54 pm

w00dsy wrote:i won't be there this week, instead i'm heading down to Queenscliff via Geelongs Ring rd etc, i've always wanted to ride that.
Just curious how your ride went... did you follow the ring rd through to Waurn Ponds, then down to Queenscliff or divert earlier.
Shoulder generally looks covered in rocks and debris along the ring rd...

ecosse

Postby ecosse » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:21 pm

Think I`ll give it a miss on Saturday, weather looks rubbish. What about a run out on Sunday instead, looks a bit brighter (and the wife is working). Any interest ?
The wind is forecast over 25km/h on Saturday, someone mentioned we ride at about 25km/h. Would be a very fast or very slow ride...
later
Ecosse

w00dsy

Postby w00dsy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:42 pm

three214 wrote:
Just curious how your ride went... did you follow the ring rd through to Waurn Ponds, then down to Queenscliff or divert earlier.
Shoulder generally looks covered in rocks and debris along the ring rd...

funny you should mention that, i got 3 flats by the time i got to the top of the big hill out near Highton, it's a terrible road to ride on because of all that crap on the shoulder, lots of gravel and glass. I'd used up both my spare tubes and didn't have my puncture repair kit so i had to call my parents who live at Pt Lonsdale to come and rescue me. I was on my way to their place anyway Image

Not only that but while i waited for my parents i was busting for a crap, and ended up breaking my 40 year drought of never crapping in the wild. There's not a lot of hiding room out on that ring rd Image

When i got the last puncture near the top of the hill i was seriously annoyed because i'd been eyeing that hill off for a while and was pretty keen to get to the top of it(i'm not good at hills). While i waited for my parents to come get me i walked the rest of it to the exit ramp and i was thinking, all the cars going past probably think i'd given up and was walking to the top, so i made sure i pushed the back of the bike down so the flat tyre was obvious :D

Needless to say it wasn't the best day i've had on the bike Image

In other news, Bicycle Superstore managed to get Cannondale to replace my rear wheel that kept popping spokes. It's apparently a higher spec wheel than what i had, a Shimano R500. No idea what that means but i'll be happy if it stops making popping noises every couple of rides. I was very pleased with their help, nice bunch of guys there too Image

Ozzie

Postby Ozzie » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:16 am

Hi gents sorry couldnt make it today. Been away working all week and only got back late Friday. Don I will probably hit the trainer Sunday instead best get some brownie points back with the family and stay close to home. Next Saturday 8th October guys last hit out before Around The Bay so I'm keen to get some good miles up. Same time and place 8.00am departure Degani Coffee Shop usual route but when we return to Town Centre weather permitting I will head out to the back beach etc to do at least another 50 or so. So Woodsy if you want to get up you k's mate I'll do them with you. See you all then Colin.

w00dsy

Postby w00dsy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:23 am

thanks Col, i've only got this weekend available to do a big ride, i was hoping to ride down to my parents place at Pt Lonsdale and back tomorrow if the weather is semi decent, or maybe even monday(day off) if the weather is too bad tomorrow. Next weekend i have a bucks day on saturday starting at lunch and Bathurst sunday. Then it's around the bay the week after. I've already done a few rides over 100km's but i'm yet to hit 150 in a day which i'd like to tick off my to do list before the ride. Riding to Lonsdale will do that, it's about 75km from my place to my parents place, have a bite to eat there and head home. You're more than welcome to come along :D

Ozzie

Postby Ozzie » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:50 pm

Thanks for the invite but I'll give it a miss. After reading your last post not sure if I want to get stuck on the side of the road incase a repeat peformance of last week. By the way you sure that was your first time you've emptied out on the side of the road or is that why they call you "woodsy" ?

w00dsy

Postby w00dsy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:38 pm

lol, i can guarantee it was my first bear in the woods experience. Hopefully it'll be my last too. I never ended up going out for a ride today, woke up early and felt like crap. Maybe tomorrow i might head to Geelong and back. I always enjoy that ride along the highway.