Cramping in 1 group only

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
foo on patrol

Cramping in 1 group only

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:56 pm

I did the Ride For Safety this morning and all was going well until the 35k mark.Then bang, both of my legs together decided to seize up at the same time. :shock:
The thing that throws me a bit is, it is both of the muscels on the front, on the top of the legs. I don't know what they are called :oops: but in all of the years that I raced I never had these lock up on me, calves and the back of my legs, yes. :(

I fitted a new seat yesterday but never had time to fine tune position, could this be the cause do you think or is it just old age and out of condition and I need to eat more concrete do you think? :roll:

Not nice when you can't bend the legs and they want to throw you over the handlebars! :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

booge

Re: Cramping in 1 group only

Postby booge » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:00 pm

Unlikely to be position, if it's just the new seat it probably wouldn't have such a major effect. Quite possibly diet, not hydrated enough. I take magnesium tablets now which stop cramping. Started taking them after my hammy cramped badly waiting at a set of lights when turning the pedals backwards! No more cramps so far.

vander

Postby vander » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:23 pm

If new seat is making you use your quads a lot more then yes it could have been causing you to cramp up there. But also as above stated I would look at diet and hydration (especially hydration).

licensed

Postby licensed » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:28 pm

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:34 pm

Yeah I was leaning to hydration myself a bit Booge but thought I had been drinking enough. Already had close to a litre before the start and around 700ml up to that point. :?

Will have a look at the seat with a spirit level later on Vander and see if the angle is out to much. :idea:

Thanks Licensed

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

vander

Postby vander » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:51 pm

If QLD is anything like Syd at the moment you will need to up the drinking as the heat goes up. I went through about an extra 1-1.5 litres on my long ride with the warm weather.

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:20 pm

licensed wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadriceps_femoris_muscle

also known as your "Quads"

its part of your quads. they are actually made up of 4 muscles

vm, vl, rf ,vim

:)
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:58 pm

I'd rather have just my quads go. I had both my quads and hammies go off together in a race I hadn;t trained properly for, and I was stuck for about 5 minutes by the side of the track wondering what the hell to do. I couldn't move: if I tried to stretch the hammies, the quads were gonna snatch and lock solid, same if I tried to stretch the quads - the hammies were gonna grab big time. I was in a bit of a panic, to be honest.

Eventually I worked out that sitting down in a squat would stretch both enough to stop them locking up, and after a minute to two looking like I needed toilet paper to passers-by, I was able to get back on the bike and continue back to race transition, but that was the last lap I completed on that day. :(

Some of the guys in our team told me later they use magnesium tablets to help, especially when it's hot like it wa that day. I've found however, that being properly trained is the best prevention, as it helps you stay more within your limits and avoid digging too deep into the red zone.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:34 pm

I think you are partly right Oxford, in my case. :wink:

Hey Gumby, I was taking 5-6mins in the squat position to try and stretch it out and could only attempt to stand up, by using the bike to take the weight off my legs. :(

To be honest I was hesitant to under take the ride, due to not many Ks in my legs this year, but due to it being a awareness and in memory of the three Ipswich club riders losing their life (including one of my best mates) this year, that it was only fair to remember them this way.

My upper body was fine and not breathing hard so I think it was a combination of all of the above suggestions by members. :idea:

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:49 pm

Well I checked my seat level tonight and the dam thing was about 12mm lower on the front :shock: forgot that I set it up on the slopping concrete in the
entertainment area. :oops: :roll:

Have now made it level and see if this makes some improvement. I did have the feeling on Sunday , that it maybe a bit out but then thought nah it just
new and I'm settling into it. :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:32 pm

A bit late here but if you are over using your quads and they are cramping as a result it may be an indication that your saddle is too far forward.
If you recently changed your saddle then this could be the case.