I'm selling the Lynxx

Uba Tracker

I'm selling the Lynxx

Postby Uba Tracker » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:32 pm

Hi all, well up for grabs is my 12 month old Optima Lynxx, it is in absolutely pristine condition, has never been ridden in the wet and aside from a light clean up with a damp cloth it's never actually been wet. It was originally purchased from Flying Furniture in Above Seat Steering configuration but I changed it to Under Seat Steering (USS) in the first couple of months. The steering upgrade is all genuine Optima and a new Pletscher side stand was also fitted, I will however keep the featured pedals but will throw in a set of platforms to get you started or home from the freight terminal.. The new owner will receve the Lynxx in the USS configuration but will also get all the Above Seat Steering (no I'm not going to abbreviate) bits and pieces in case they wish to convert it back. The bike is set up to suit a 180cm rider, I cant remember the X-Seam measurement but in my opinion it wasn't particularly indicative of an individual riders requirements anyway. The pictures show more than I can adequately describe:-

So if anyone would like to know more I can thoroughly recommend the http://www.optimabikes.com/eng/2.htm home page or you can PM me and I'll do my best to fill in the gaps. No I'm not getting out of 'Bents I'm on the hunt for a Bacchetta Agio or similar, I need a ride with a more upright seating position and preferably lower BB.

So what's it worth? Look it's always hard to come up with a price that seems fair, but I thought somwhere around the $2600 mark, all up it owes me $3350 and considering the lack of work it's done I feel that's fair.

cheers

Harry
A bad day's riding beats a good day's work everytime

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:54 am

Pity you left it out in the rain and the front wheel shrunk :twisted:

Best of luck mate. I'm flat out getting my Toscana working without buying another bent.

Just for interest - what differences did you find between USS and OSS?

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:58 am

Been a sticky beack I have to ask
"What are you getting to replace it??"

As I said before this is the first bike I looked at to buy and it was only the seat that put me off. Still it's a nice bike and worth the $s

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:50 pm

europa wrote:Pity you left it out in the rain and the front wheel shrunk :twisted:

Best of luck mate. I'm flat out getting my Toscana working without buying another bent.

Just for interest - what differences did you find between USS and OSS?

Richard
Hi Richard,
I personally found the OSS to be too cramped, having the bars so close to my chest and yet right up in my line of vision was quite off putting. The difference between the two configurations is enormous, USS allows you an unfettered view and a significantly more relaxed riding position than the 'Begging Hamster' style.
To answer Leigh's question I really like the look of the Bacchetta long wheelbase models, in particular the Agio.

cheers

Harry

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:35 pm

Agio
Interesting
I rack my brain [not much of it] wondering why?
That's not in the same class as what you have...
S*** there I go giving my thoughts with out even been asked :oops:

Have you had a ride on one?

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:57 pm

Harry,

You should also check out the RANS Stratus if the Agio is to your liking. One of the guys in the WAHPV group just got one and it's a very nice piece of kit. Considerably improved over previous models, apparently.

(I'm with Leigh though - I'd stick with the Lynxx if it were me! ;))

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:42 pm

Yeah and Rans do one with 26/26
and that's even better
But to each his own...
we all know what we like once we ride them a 1000k
but that's not how it is and we have to make the choose mainly on one short ride
Happy Hunting

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:22 pm

Hmmmmmmmmm, some very thought provoking comments there fellas, and very much appreciated too.
The main reason I began to look at different models was to try and alleviate some new found aches. My ride frequency/distance has risen sharply in the last 3 or so months and some new unwelcome side effects have surfaced, pain across my lower back and tingling to numb feet. In the early days I didn't notice it due to short ride times but now I'm doing two to three hour rides every second day and it always starts the same way, first the aching back then the tingle in the feet which will change to numbness and then a burning sensation if I persist. When I first started riding the Lynxx I put the seat in the most upright position which assisted me in feeling comfortable and getting used to the new riding style. However the seat remains in the upright position and I noted only today that this is effectively causing my hips to roll forward. The Lynxx seat (like many other), is, by default, set up in quite a reclined position which no doubt is where it best supports the torso, so it may well be that I have inflicted this on myself. Ian at Flying Furniture has jumped all over the issue and has offered all sorts of advice to remedy the problem, right up to seeing if a Bacchetta ReCurve seat can be retro-fitted to the Lynxx, many many thanks to Ian, what a lad. Anyway that's the unabridged version of events, so it goes without saying that if you, my fellow bent riders, have any advice, suggestions or ideas please let 'em loose. I would rather not sell the Lynxx but if I can't remedy the situation then it's the likely step.

cheers

H

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:15 am

That's no good...
Bummer as if you spend that much, you want it right
For me
It's all about comfort and been able to stay in the seat all day when I'm touring
And that seat of yours wasn't right for my back so I guess it's understantable that it might not be right for others.
Me..I;d be trying a differant seat befor selling
This seat [cost under 20$ to make] and while this pic is not a good angle to show the back suport it's very comfortable for long days
While my work is a bit rough for 50 you could have it done by a pro.

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:53 pm

I like the look of the seat you put together Leigh, it looks very much like the Bacchetta ReCurve that I mentioned in the previous post. I Reclined the seat on the Lynxx last night and went out for a 90 minute lap this morning to see how it felt and I must say I got more than I bargained for. First of all the pain in the lower back was reduced, not eliminated, but reduced nontheless, so the seat position contributed to the discomfort. The side effect to reclining the seat is that now I feel like I'm craning my neck to look ahead causing tired neck muscles. The pins and needles/burning feet remains unchanged, so I guess the back complaint and feet complaint are unrelated. However it's not all doom and gloom, as soon as I started pedaling with the seat in the new position I noticed just how much easier it is to pedal and hence maintain a higher average speed. So by stretching myself out I have effectively uncramped my riding position thereby making it more efficient, no doubt a well known fact but it's nice to reconfirm it through positive experience. I remember reading somewhere that bent riders' need to be particularly mindfull of circulation in their feet when riding in cold climates, maybe mine is a circulation thing. :(

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:37 am

All seems quite on the "recumbent front"
So Harry are you selling or re-seating?

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:05 pm

Yes Leigh it has been a quiet week, everyone must be either busy or away. I haven't had any nibbles for the Lynxx yet so I've been playing around with the seat height and position by spacing the seat away from the mounting brackets with blocks of wood, elementary but functional. Having the seat a bit higher is quite pleasant actually as it improves an already superb view. The fact remains thought that, IMO, the seat is the mitigating factor in the whole riding comfort dilemma. I did send and email to The Bicycle Man in the US last week enquiring about the particularly comfortable looking Burley Recumbent seat assemblies, but haven't heard back yet. Actaully if there are any Bacchetta owners out there who have a retired ReCurve seat assembly lying around that you know longer want drop me a line and we'll talk cash. Oh and check your messages Leigh. :wink:

cheers

H

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:31 pm

No new messages??

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:22 pm

I'm waiting to see pic of your new seat?
:D
And you with a big smile on your face

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:37 pm

G'day leigh, mate as soon as I have something to show I let you know. Regrettably the last couple of weeks has revealed little progress on the seat issue, my focus has been on daddy's little girl who has been convalescing after surgery. However I did contact Craig Meyn from JustBents in WA regarding retrofitting a seat assembly from a Rans to the Lynxx and am waiting to hear the results from his enquiries.

cheers

Harry

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:11 pm

I feel for your girl...
week now for me since having the gall bladder out
has kept my off both recumbents
but I have been rideing the old Raleigh with high bars at a slow but steady speed around town...
but looking forward to getting back to the bents

Will be looking out for you on new seat :)

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:37 pm

Chin up matey, it'll seem like a distant memory in no time, particularly once you get back on the limo :wink:

Paulw

recumbents/seats neck pain

Postby Paulw » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:11 pm

For less than the money you'll drop selling the bike I will guarantee that you can fix the seat issue.
If you haven't yet sold the Lynx try this:

A mesh seat solves most 'seat' problems, if you can get one fitted. There's a 'Euromesh' seat available that might be suitable. Everything can be 'done' it's just a matter of time and money and working out whether it's worth it.

You will initially find that seat angles lower than about 35 degrees cause neck strain. It takes a few weeks riding to strengthen the muscles and depending on your physiology there will be a lower limit (angle) beyond which you won't adapt.

I have the reverse problem on a road bike - my neck strains up and I don't like it.

I have an Optima Raptor (Baron) and I find the upper part of the seat doesn't support my shoulders enough. I made a wedge shaped cushion from blue camping foam by sticking several layers together, the top layer being half the total size and each lower layer increasing in length to make a gentle wedge. (Make a rectangular stack and shave it to a wedge shape.)

Try propping your shoulders with some foam stuck to the seat with duct tape and see if it feels better (it will.) What you're doing is making a 'recurve' seat. The triangular cushion can sit under the Optima cushion.

I fit cushions with velcro - hard velcro (hook) glued to the seat, soft velcro sewn to the cushion. Investigate 'Ventisit' seat pads. A guy in OzHPV will make you one.

Headrests are available but can be annoying. They help temporarily on hills while you're neck muscles are adapting.

Email me if any of this makes sense and if I can send pics or whatever.

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:29 pm

Hi Paul, many thanks for taking an interest in my plight. I haven't sold the Lynxx and don't plan to, I have bought a Recurve seat from a Bacchetta and started the adaption process. I did experiment with adding and subtracting foam in various densities but couldn't get it just right. The problem as I see it is my expectation from the Euromesh shell, it's designed to cradle to the body in a pronounced recline position. I want to sit more upright and I found that if if I position the seat upright then there isn't a seat area as such due to to the shallow sweep at the base. The Bacchetta unit has a defined back support and lower cushion which are separate and will hopefully provide what I'm looking for. I'll post some pics of the progress once I have some. Once again thanks for your help.

cheers

Harry

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:56 pm

Alllllllllllrighty then, many thanks to you all for encouraging me to stick with the Lynxx. I tried many different seating positions, reclined, upright, seat raised, seat lowered the whole problem was simply the seat, a point which I have laboured in other posts. So I went and bought a Bacchetta recurve seat and spent most of the weekend fitting it up in between goofing off with the kids. So without further ado here's my modified Lynxx, maybe I should call it a Blynxx or a Lacchetta.........

The final seat angle is yet to be determined but initial impressions are OMGosh why did I put up with the other one for so long. Am really looking forward to a long haul to put it to the test. :D :D :D :D

cheers

Harry

Paulw

Minx

Postby Paulw » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:25 pm

That's a Minx! (Mixed Lynxx!)

Although my Baron seat is comfortable "for a hardshell" there is no comparison between mesh and carbon. The mesh seat on the P-38 is soooo comfortable.
I've ordered my Lynxx for touring (from Flying Furniture) and while I'd like a mesh seat, I would be a little concerned about added weight, or a seat which is harder to pack.

Nice photos. I'll wait for your final report.

Low Racer

Postby Low Racer » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:29 pm

Well done Harry. Looks great and comfortable. A friend of mine has the same seat on his bacchetta and it is really comfortable. How much weight do you reckon you have added to this set up?

PS The chain looks like it could do with some lubes :lol:

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:55 pm

Thanks Paul, Chong I hadn't really considered what the weight penalty would be, but I was very surprised at just how light the Bacchetta seats are. They seem to be roughly the same just doing the one in each hand weigh in so it probably comes back to what you prefer. I just went out for an hour and a half ride since I posted the pictures and honestly I could sit in that seat all day, not even a hint of back ache.
Low Racer wrote: PS The chain looks like it could do with some lubes :lol:
:oops: Yes guilty as charged, actually the rollers and pins are lubed up its the red Toowoomba dirt, it stains every bloody thing even bike chains apparently.

Paulw

Postby Paulw » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:20 am

Uba Tracker wrote:....snip.... I just went out for an hour and a half ride since I posted the pictures and honestly I could sit in that seat all day, not even a hint of back ache.
....snip....
That's excellent news because it shows us that the Lynxx can be made a 'comfort' bike.

Apparently you had no trouble buying the seat, even though Bacchetta have a little disclaimer on their web site?

Who made the brackets?
Will the rear rack still fit?
So many questions! ;)

Leigh_caines

Postby Leigh_caines » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:23 am

Good one Harry
looks comfortable
8)