Forum Members - How to relax

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Forum Members - How to relax

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:57 pm

Dear fellow forum members,

Do you feel upset, agitated, angry, offended when using the forums?

The emotions on this forum go in cycles, sometimes fine and sometimes there are periods when a number of people are fired up, like now. That being said, 95% of the members are great, just the 5% are causing 95% of stress for mods. It is best now for a friendly reminder and some tips:

• The internet is not real life, but fighting here will make you miserable in real life

• Think before you post. This is a discussion forum that welcomes novices and experts and is full of opinions. If someone has a different opinion or belief or you feel that they are wrong - this alone is not a personal attack - so argue the point, not the person.

• This is a family friendly forum - so swearing, acronyms for swearing, flaming, defamation and insults are not on. No matter how 'right' you are and how 'wrong' others are, moderaters will take appropriate action if forum rules are broken.

• Relax - there is too much nitpicking challenging members motivations for posting and their character. We don't have a strict heirachy here so a long term member is not better than a new member - as long as a post is inline with forum rules and in the right section, then lets pull back from challenging a person. Is it not better to concentrate on what unites us rather than the differences.

• Report - members who get into trouble often never report posts that they find offensive - then cry foul. Moderaters can't pick up everything and as we have asked before, if you find any content offensive, has a personal attack or breaches forum rules - report it. A moderater will review and take action they feel appropriate. This is the best way for us to keep this a family friendly forum - and commonsense goes a very long way.

A thank you to members (vast majority) who continue to enjoy and value the forum, plus help keep it good with positive constributions.

Cheers
Christopher
Cycling is in my BNA

russellgarrard

Re: Forum Members - How to relax

Postby russellgarrard » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:20 pm

Could log off for a few hours and 'leg on' :)

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:20 pm

AUbicycles wrote: • Report - members who get into trouble often never report posts that they find offensive - then cry foul. Moderaters can't pick up everything and as we have asked before, if you find any content offensive, has a personal attack or breaches forum rules - report it. A moderater will review and take action they feel appropriate. This is the best way for us to keep this a family friendly forum - and commonsense goes a very long way.
Since this topic has come up, I just wanted to raise two points:

• I've reported more than one post that I found to be a personal attack but found little or nothing was done about it. So I can see why some feel there is no point reporting it and try to tackle the "problem" themselves. It is sad to say I've had more success tackling the problem myself than reporting posts.

• As has been said before, locking a thread may be one solution, but it appears to be the favoured response of recent times. The problem is most people were contributing and/or learning and the actions of one or two put it to an end. Wouldn't it be better to edit their content and ban him/her/them for a day/week etc?

I know the mods are trying to do their best as volunteers and I don't know what directions or restrictions they have to deal with. So I will just end by thanking them for their efforts.

MarkG

Postby MarkG » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:33 pm

I think so many arguments would be avoided (personally) if you could post an item for sale, then lock it - to stop people hijacking the thread, which inadvertently leads to
all kinds of dramas.

If you could put an item for sale, lock it - and then answer all issues and questions in PM, that would be a much better option I think.
Proudly "a hater of academics with helmet cams"

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:35 pm

I'll try to add more people to the ignore list (I hope there's no limit) instead of responding like a red rag to a bull. I think that's the best way for me to ignore noobs who:

1. post threads and never respond in the thread again (market research noobs)
2. post threads without using the search button

(is it too much to ask to have 10 posts first before having the ability to post a new thread for a noob ala marketplace? It's easy enough to accumulate 10 posts and will stem the "post before thinking" threads)

Sometimes, an ignore thread function would be good. And I also agree with @Nobody regarding reporting posts and threads - sometimes the reporting doesn't get acted upon or it is too late that it has become a degenerated thread.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:40 pm

AUbicycles wrote:• The internet is not real life, but fighting here will make you miserable in real life
I disagree. When someone advertises real goods for sale, and someone else pays real money, will you persist with saying it is all make believe?

What is the policy of this forum when someone rips off another member through a shonky sale, apart from locking the thread?

Marto

Postby Marto » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:55 pm

Yup to the above posts. Remember, a disagreement doesn't have to be an argument, and sometimes you just have to chill, like this guy:

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:12 pm

AUbicycles wrote: The emotions on this forum go in cycles, sometimes fine and sometimes there are periods when a number of people are fired up, like now. That being said, 95% of the members are great, just the 5% are causing 95% of stress for mods. It is best now for a friendly reminder and some tips:
They are like you said emotions and they are not always easy to control.

And if 95% is already great, why the need to post this?
Are you striving for that thing that doesn't exist; perfection?
A forum free of 'bad' posts ??

Not sure what you are trying to achieve here, if only 5% is 'bad' , why don't you adress them personally ?
Give 'm a time out or something ?

AUbicycles wrote: Think before you post
Ah, yes.
Wishfull thinking, never gonna happen... :twisted:
AUbicycles wrote: The internet is not real life
Yes it is.
It is part of real life. :wink:
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

nsr0772

Postby nsr0772 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:32 pm

I suggest that you remove post counts and join dates as some members see this as some type of status symbol, elevating themselves above others simply because they joined a bit earlier or post more. Sets a level playing field for all.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:36 pm

I agree. Look at CommuRider. She's overtaken me already! :P

Seriously though, still a good idea.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:20 pm

nsr0772 wrote:I suggest that you remove post counts and join dates as some members see this as some type of status symbol, elevating themselves above others simply because they joined a bit earlier or post more. Sets a level playing field for all.
I do not look at that piece of information like that, I look at it from a different p.o.v, and I would like to keep it.

Just because some look at it like that does not warrant to hide this information, imho.
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

sogood

Postby sogood » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:07 pm

It's a public forum, so part of the knowledge is to read all comers with inner calm. May the force be with you and never need that "foe" list. Don't be a sucker.

Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:17 pm

I agree with most of the stuff in the OP. Best solution is to bring out the banhammer imo :twisted:
winstonw wrote:
AUbicycles wrote:• The internet is not real life, but fighting here will make you miserable in real life
I disagree. When someone advertises real goods for sale, and someone else pays real money, will you persist with saying it is all make believe?

What is the policy of this forum when someone rips off another member through a shonky sale, apart from locking the thread?
I think that is an entirely separate issue to the topic of this thread.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:20 pm

Nobody wrote:I agree. Look at CommuRider. She's overtaken me already! :P

Seriously though, still a good idea.
:oops:

Oh dear. You need to contribute more to the noob threads :P and the marketplace seems to be full of drama this week :mrgreen:

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:25 pm

nsr0772 wrote:I suggest that you remove post counts and join dates as some members see this as some type of status symbol, elevating themselves above others simply because they joined a bit earlier or post more. Sets a level playing field for all.
Just because I pull a minority of noobs over lack of courtesy and lazy threads does not mean I see myself above others.

Some courteous behaviour would be nice since we are sometimes so saccharinely helpful on here and sometimes I feel the community's helpfulness is being grossly taken advantage of.

Anyhoo, it usually takes me a couple of posts to have my say and I quickly lose interest. Happy to move on and post on more interesting things. As for the marketplace behaviour, hornet's nest that one. But since I don't post there much, I leave it to others to wave their various causes on here.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:13 am

lethoso wrote:I agree with most of the stuff in the OP. Best solution is to bring out the banhammer imo :twisted:
winstonw wrote:

I think that is an entirely separate issue to the topic of this thread.
Correct. This is quite clearly covered in the marketplace rules.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:14 pm

(AT) Nobody
When a report is made, mods will see it and take action that they feel appropriate. This may not be a course of action that a user prefers. Also, we generally do note publicise the action taken however the rule of thumb is that when the report is removed, it has been dealt with. There may of course be some reports that are closed without action. If however you make a report that is then closed and you recognise (via content still available) that there is still content that is questionable or offensive - you can email me (please include links and brief details).

On the thread locking, this is always hard and generally a mod will put in a warning first. Unfortunately it is a minority that affects the majority and with mod decisions we are trying to be clear cut - when a rule has been breached then action is taken though arguing and ruining a thread is a grey area which technically may not be a breach of forum rules.

(AT) Mark G
A fair suggestion. At the moment it is still a minority of sale threads that go pear shapped. One reason for encouraging discussion in the thread is tranparency which has been criticised in the past - some people feeling run-around - so when it is in the open, people know what is happening.
Let me keep this on my radar and see if the format can be improved. To date - it is still meant to be a section to benefit members rather than a commercial classified.

(AT) CommuRider
I would like newbies to read the rules or if they don't, to use commonsense. Utilising general etiquette and netiquette will get you far - and it does work for most people.

If you wish, you can prepare a generic (friendly) text with a link to encourage new users who post threads that have been asked before to search for these. Not all newbies are expert searchers or experienced online so perhaps a friendly and generic comment would make it easy to respond if you feel that a topic has already been addressed.

@ winstonw
If you wish to interpret my comments in ways I havn't intended, go for it. In this case I am referring to the fighting via discussions between strangers and than this online discourse rubs off on life offline.

Regarding the marketplace, on the one hand we distance ourself from the actual transactions however if a member who has offered an item for sale can be shown to have been dishonest, then this will typically result in a ban. That being said, we will encourage open communication initially in an attempt allow for a solution. If this is not possible, we will cooperate with the member who has suffered the loss (and laywers / authorities) by providing all available records of communication and about the other party.

Most people who are experiencing problems do tend to email or PM me or a mod at an early stages and in a majority of these cases where we mediate, there is usually a satisfactory solution for both parties.

@ damhooligan
As mentioned, at the moments emotions are running high and with the extra workload it is creating I want to highlight this and encourage members who have forgotten or who are new to relect on this when posting. Before the flaming and aggressiveness starts to become the accepted style for communication, lets get back to the family friendly style.

I would like to address the 5% directly however can't pinpoint them. Some members join the 5% occasionally - a general message to all gives most people the message and the forum genuinely benefits from the vast majority here who help keeps standards up.

@nsr0772
I know what you are getting at and think that this join date and post count is not a measure of quality - I usually don't recognise a join date, moreso a postcount however more important is the quality, so scanning through the users name can sometimes judge whether it is worth reading a post or thread beforehand.

We have purposely tried to keep the status at a minimum, though have the option of using stars and lables (etc) which you will see on other forums as an idication of level. We have five - me as admin and the mods (2 types) plus a 'expert' lable (one member in the forum has this - as an industry professional) and otherwise general.

The admin and mods work well for identification - as people email or PM a mod. The 'expert' is a note that there is an industry 'rep'. I am not convinced that removing this info will change the way some people feel - but am happy to discuss further with mods and members. Best is a new topic in the forum feedback section.

@ lethoso
We try and give people a chance - infact with swearing and simple breaches typically change and highlight a user to the preferred format. From experience the reply I usually get is along the lines of "Thanks, sorry for that, will becareful with that in future". At the moment the challenge is deciding when an arguement has actually gone too far - as they are usually not clear cut.

-----

Thanks for the comments, by just being aware of this simply does help the forums to be a more productive and mature environment, so many long-term members, through their usually participation, just do the right thing and this helps guides others.
Cycling is in my BNA

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:22 pm

AUbicycles wrote: (AT) CommuRider
I would like newbies to read the rules or if they don't, to use commonsense. Utilising general etiquette and netiquette will get you far - and it does work for most people.

If you wish, you can prepare a generic (friendly) text with a link to encourage new users who post threads that have been asked before to search for these. Not all newbies are expert searchers or experienced online so perhaps a friendly and generic comment would make it easy to respond if you feel that a topic has already been addressed.
No probs. @WombatK did a fantastic post a couple of weeks ago on a noob posting "buying a new bike" in that folder. If I can get his permission, I think that would be a good start. Is that ok @WK? I'll add a TM at the end. :)

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:28 pm

One issue could be the result of the Australia cultural psyche at work; the anti-authoritarian, ex-convict mentality. To that end potentially re-branding the ‘Moderators’ as something less adversarial sounding could be worth considering. I can start the ball rolling with:

:idea: Nannies
:idea: When they remove posts, we could refer to it as: those posts have been sent to the ‘naughty spot.’

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:37 pm

Oh dear. There's some underlying 'naughty English public school boy' in you FT.

And Nanny uses a chair. Or corner. Or whip.

Personally I prefer the Speaker of the House - good old Harry: "Or-der. OR-DAH. Would the honourable member please leave the chamber...."

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:53 pm

This thread is delightful and sooooo informative! I'm always wrong and can be a horrible individual! Rules are made to be tested! I object to being sensible! The Mod's are All hard working individuals who devote much time and effort to ensuring the smooth running of the forum and all deserve a beer and a hearty round of applause! Hip, Hip...

Can I have my first ban under this user name? Please?
Last edited by Mulger bill on Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Gits and Shiggles
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:36 pm

CommuRider wrote:No probs. @WombatK did a fantastic post a couple of weeks ago on a noob posting "buying a new bike" in that folder. If I can get his permission, I think that would be a good start. Is that ok @WK? I'll add a TM at the end. :)
There is a sticky on buying a new bike ... it can be found here. Maybe it needs updating/highlighting in some way.

Andrew

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:40 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:Can I have my first ban under this user name? Please?
Only too happy to oblige, how long would you like? :twisted:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:46 pm

Ok new bike noobs, you're getting @Kalgrm's post from me :-P

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:47 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:This thread is delightful and sooooo informative! I'm always wrong and can be a horrible individual! Rules are made to be tested! I object to being sensible! The Mod's are All hard working individuals who devote much time and effort to ensuring the smooth running of the forum and all deserve a beer and a hearty round of applause! Hip, Hip...

:lol: :lol: :lol: