Missing manhole cover

am50em

Missing manhole cover

Postby am50em » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:24 pm

Hello,

on the commute home tonight, came across a manhole cover missing one of the two cover plates on the
shared footpath/cycleway along Pennant Hills Road Thornleigh. The open hole was about 900mm x 900mm and over 1200mm deep.
Given that the covers are a dark colored steel, the difference between the remaining cover plate and the open hole
was not obvious at a distance. Fortunately my lights (Ay Ups) allowed me to pick it out and avoid it, though it was a close call. :shock:
Marked the hole with some large cut up branches and placed a large piece of cardboard vertically.
Once I got home, called the police who said they would send a car out to investigate and make sure it was made safe.

lethoso

Re: Missing manhole cover

Postby lethoso » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:44 pm

am50em wrote:Marked the hole with some large cut up branches
almost sounds like you were making a booby trap :lol:

I came across an open manhole a while back when I was riding home one night. Scary as hell as I couldn't see it until I was just about right on top of it (even with my ayups).

am50em

Postby am50em » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:08 pm

lethoso wrote:
am50em wrote:Marked the hole with some large cut up branches
almost sounds like you were making a booby trap :lol:

I came across an open manhole a while back when I was riding home one night. Scary as hell as I couldn't see it until I was just about right on top of it (even with my ayups).
Yes I was a bit worried about that but they were large logs so you really would not want to ride over them!
The added vertical cardboard should have dissuaded the bunny-hoppers - I hope.
Maybe I should carry little reflective safety triangles to leave around dangers on the commute home.
Though it would be hard to get the moron motorists to stay within the triangles :wink:

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:58 pm

good on you for doing the right thing. many wouldn't.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:50 pm

Branches will deter cyclists, not sure about cupboard.

So is the price of steel increasing hence missing manhole covers ?
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:35 pm

Occasionaly some idiot smashes one or more of the concree slabs that make up the shared use cycle path across Roseville Bridge.

Looking down through the gap, there's nothing between you and the water 30m below. :shock:

Seems to have stopped so far this year fortunately.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:00 am

winstonw wrote:good on you for doing the right thing. many wouldn't.
Big plus lots to that. You coulda saved someones life.

Hang on,,, it isn't near 'Arold Skrulooses house is it?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

am50em

Postby am50em » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:19 pm

Update - this morning when I went past there was a large tree branch in the hole and some smaller ones in each corner
with police tape wrapped around. So it was more obvious that there is an obstruction. Now to see how long before the
cover is actually replaced.

gdt

Postby gdt » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:10 am

am50em wrote:Now to see how long before the cover is actually replaced.
Give the owner of the pit a call. We hate it when they lose lids and fixing broken pits is a high priority. Not just the risk to the public (which is substantial if it is a stormwater drain cover, every council has one horror story), but the PITA that is emptying out the water after it rains (that's going to be my job in hell, sitting around watching a pump empty a pit).

am50em

Postby am50em » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:57 pm

gdt wrote:
am50em wrote:Now to see how long before the cover is actually replaced.
Give the owner of the pit a call. We hate it when they lose lids and fixing broken pits is a high priority. Not just the risk to the public (which is substantial if it is a stormwater drain cover, every council has one horror story), but the PITA that is emptying out the water after it rains (that's going to be my job in hell, sitting around watching a pump empty a pit).
It was not fixed on friday afternoon when I went by so when I got home I googled Telstra and missing manhole cover. This brought up a web page where after selecting two options it said ring this number. Which I did. Unfortunately the person appeared to have little grasp of english. Had to spell out the all the names and then they were still confusing suburb with street name. After repeatedly telling them Thorneligh is the suburb and not the street I gave up. Why can't they have a simple web form to enter the address or better yet a google maps page where you could mark the location?

However the good news is the cover was replaced when I rode past today.

dude18

Postby dude18 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:09 pm

You can also use the iPhone/Android app "Neatstreets"
It uses your phone GPS and you can add details such as photos and description, and creates a report that gets sent automatically to the council or responsible parties. I've used it many times and they deal with a range of problems: graffiti, damage, potholes, etc... Give it a try. They do some good work

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:49 pm

As in your home, "manholes" are now known as "person holes" :D

gdt

Postby gdt » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:46 pm

The trade call them "pit lids" or just "lids". I've never heard them called a "manhole cover" in the trade.

biftek

Postby biftek » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:23 am

gdt wrote:The trade call them "pit lids" or just "lids". I've never heard them called a "manhole cover" in the trade.
meh industry jargon call it what you want but people will still understand what you mean you , the cover over the hole