Forum Members - How to relax

damhooligan

Re: Forum Members - How to relax

Postby damhooligan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:43 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
(AT) damhooligan
As mentioned, at the moments emotions are running high and with the extra workload it is creating I want to highlight this and encourage members who have forgotten or who are new to relect on this when posting. Before the flaming and aggressiveness starts to become the accepted style for communication, lets get back to the family friendly style.

I would like to address the 5% directly however can't pinpoint them. Some members join the 5% occasionally - a general message to all gives most people the message and the forum genuinely benefits from the vast majority here who help keeps standards up.
Emotions come and go, it's part of life, and it is not a big deal.
This should not be enough reason to start a thread like this, implying there is a serious issue..???

I don't agree with this tactic, now it comes across as you are giving the whole forum a warning for misbehaving :?
If you can't pinpoint those 5%, it tells me it is not an issue.
If it is an issue, you pinpoint those that are causing it.

If the amount that is misbehaving is not 5 but 50, i would say yeah, sure , start a thread, but 5 ???
5 is soo smal, if you want it smaller, mayby you should consider deleting the whole forum, then the people misbehaving wil be 0.
There wil always be people on this forum that misbehave, is also part of life.
I personally think the forum is running o.k., and I don't see the need for threads like this.
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Leiothrix

Postby Leiothrix » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:44 pm

I'd suggest 'Retailer' or similar as another label to be added.

It lets people know that someone might have a commercial interest in any recommendations, etc.

And maybe while we're at it add a Retailers forum for them to advertise specials or offer advice, ask questions and whatnot.

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:58 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:This thread is delightful and sooooo informative! I'm always wrong and can be a horrible individual! Rules are made to be tested! I object to being sensible! The Mod's are All hard working individuals who devote much time and effort to ensuring the smooth running of the forum and all deserve a beer and a hearty round of applause! Hip, Hip...

Can I have my first ban under this user name? Please?
OOOH!!! :evil:
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:05 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:
The 2nd Womble wrote:This thread is delightful and sooooo informative! I'm always wrong and can be a horrible individual! Rules are made to be tested! I object to being sensible! The Mod's are All hard working individuals who devote much time and effort to ensuring the smooth running of the forum and all deserve a beer and a hearty round of applause! Hip, Hip...

Can I have my first ban under this user name? Please?
OOOH!!! :evil:
I was already thinking that orange is not your color...

So, i guess you typed the opposite of what is written in orange ???
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:32 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:Can I have my first ban under this user name? Please?
What other user names have you got? Who is "The Womble"? Do you know him?

The 2nd Womble

Postby The 2nd Womble » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:37 pm

Nobody wrote:
i know him well. He's a noble bloke.
Last edited by Kalgrm on Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: More gits and shiggles. Heading for that ban though ....
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:22 pm

It's relaxing to see Mountgower and Missy 24, are no longer members. :D

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:28 pm

(AT) Leiotrix

A lot of industry professionals know the site, some use it and are members though some choose not to be recognised, so particpate as individuals.
It it a fair call - I should has a few members who are retailers what they think of this. Typically we want members who are commenting on something in which they have a vested interest to disclose this interest - there are regular attempts at fake posting, many are now caught before they get published.

Regarding a retailer section - where I am cautious with this is the spam factor and abuse.
I guess a good approach could be similar to the reviews where people have to be approved before they can post in there - though this also comes with a bit of workload. Interesting idea and could be good to start a thread in the forum feedback section to discuss.

@ damhooligan
damhooligan wrote:Emotions come and go, it's part of life, and it is not a big deal.
This should not be enough reason to start a thread like this, implying there is a serious issue..???
Thats why we are often forgiving - or give people a chance.
As a discussion forum there have always been and will always be upsets but sometimes it builds up and costs me and the mods more time than is reasonable to sort out. Some time back we (as mods) were pushed to be more transperant and consisitent, if we get fedup then we would see more irrantional and unreasonable bans - which also cost time when my inbox gets filled from emails from people who have actually breached rules but forget that and demand others to be punished and start insults.

damhooligan wrote:I don't agree with this tactic, now it comes across as you are giving the whole forum a warning for misbehaving :?
If you can't pinpoint those 5%, it tells me it is not an issue.
If it is an issue, you pinpoint those that are causing it.
If we carried on, then nothing changes because this 5% keep going and we spend time individually warning / banning / encouraging them to pick up their act.
Technically I don't have a filter that shows me all of the members who stir things up or are likely to do so and it it probably not a great idea if a handful of members got emails or PMs.

What is happening is this broader message is irrelevant for the majority however raises awareness - and many are quite clever and knowing this helps them help the mods - the way they participate and communicate can do wonders.

damhooligan wrote:If the amount that is misbehaving is not 5 but 50, i would say yeah, sure , start a thread, but 5 ???
There are one or two dozen serial offenders plus a heap of one-off offenders.
If there is a general awareness and reminder not to flame, not to swear and this helps members for the next six months, then this is a good thing and has been posted (for a few days) as a global announcement because it has worked in the past and the time is right for another reminder.
Cycling is in my BNA

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:30 pm

The 2nd Womble wrote:
Nobody wrote:
i know him well. He's a noble bloke.
Are you both the same person or live in the same house? Are you related in some way? If not, why the same name?

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:39 pm

You missed the discussion @Nobody. Womble's having probs with his account hence a new nick. Still the same old wombles.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:41 pm

damhooligan wrote:If the amount that is misbehaving is not 5 but 50, i would say yeah, sure , start a thread, but 5 ???
We have 6223 members. If 5% of them are misbehaving, that's about 310 people making the site hell for mods. However, as Christopher said, it's more like 30 who need watching at any one time.

It does seem like we can't win with some people though: more transparency was asked for, but now that a thread has been started asking people to keep calm, we're accused of badgering the general members. Exactly what do you want moderators to do? Go away? Shut up? Communicate? Dictate? :roll:

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:43 pm

Thanks. :)

I do miss a lot of threads. Even so, I spend too much time on here anyway. I'm going to fix the car for a while.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:11 pm

AUbicycles wrote: There are one or two dozen serial offenders plus a heap of one-off offenders.
If there is a general awareness and reminder not to flame, not to swear and this helps members for the next six months, then this is a good thing and has been posted (for a few days) as a global announcement because it has worked in the past and the time is right for another reminder.
That's the whole thing right there, control those serials and it won't get out of hand. :wink:

There already is general awarenes, and does it stop the serials?..
apparantly not, so mayby that isn't working then?
And I realy don't think a thread like this is going to change anything.

Is it stopping the one off offenders?
I think the name says it all, we are stil humans that make mistakes.. :D

I understand running the forum comes with the additional 'work', and I am sure i am part of that (for that I apologize... :D )
but saying this 'work' is to much to their members is not a good thing.
Makes me wonder if you are either 1; losing interest in running the forum , because it is too much work ,
or 2 not exactly sure how to run the forum. (more info as to what I mean in kalgrm's reply)

To me, this forum is a very strict forum with a very low level of tolerance.
I am not judging or saying it is good or bad,this is just the way I see it.
But with this choice also comes more work to keep it that way, it is a natural consequence of this choice...
but complaining about it trough this thread is not gonna solve anything.
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:15 pm

Kalgrm wrote:
We have 6223 members. If 5% of them are misbehaving, that's about 310 people making the site hell for mods. However, as Christopher said, it's more like 30 who need watching at any one time.

It does seem like we can't win with some people though: more transparency was asked for, but now that a thread has been started asking people to keep calm, we're accused of badgering the general members. Exactly what do you want moderators to do? Go away? Shut up? Communicate? Dictate? :roll:

Cheers,
Graeme
The highlighted illustrates to me perfectly the reason this thread is here..

What do the mods need to do ??
Do you know what to do ???

I can answer that for ya, but I doubt you wil like the answer... :
What the mods need to do = not my problem.
If I stuff up, moderate me, no problem.
If I don't stuff up but others do, I don't wanna hear about it.

p.s., and saying that people make the site hell, is a very extreem statement...
And if you can't handle the heat, don't become a fireman.. :roll:
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:43 pm

Hi damhooligan,

With respect, I think you are missing the mark. I have occasionally posted similar types of announcements in the past and find that the forums do clear up and specifically recognise that the more experienced members help support this.

There are no rule changes and we will still tackle individual problems.
For mods it is certainly frustrating when we want to be members first and mods second, but spend half the night fighting spam and the other half putting out fights. We occasionally get feedback from members thanking the mods and understanding what goes on behind, some ask 'what can I do to help' - even verging on the fact that the value and quality is that good they they would be prepared to pay. I am resisting a subscription model and typically don't ask members for extras - one way some members actively give back is supporting the forum and moderation (even if they don't personally agree) because at the end of the day we want less fights and more fun and quality.

So we are slipping off the track in this thread... I see this announcement as a way for some members to keep themself in check and for the majority to have a quick glance, ignore, accept or support.

Anyway, I have lots to do so will move on.
Cycling is in my BNA

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:59 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
• This is a family friendly forum - so swearing, acronyms for swearing,
I use the odd swear word or acronym, so am guilty. But I noticed an old hand mod likes to use a permutation of a swear word also.
search.php

So if it's OK for him then i guess it's OK for me.

Heres a few others you may want to address

search.php
search.php

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:13 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote:I use the odd swear word or acronym, so am guilty. But I noticed an old hand mod likes to use a permutation of a swear word also.
search.php

So if it's OK for him then i guess it's OK for me.

Heres a few others you may want to address

search.php
search.php
Your links just bring up the search page ...

Andrew
Andrew

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:08 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote: I use the odd swear word or acronym, so am guilty. But I noticed an old hand mod likes to use a permutation of a swear word also.
How about offensive nicknames on the forum? There are a couple of posters whose nicks can be construed as ironic humour but also inciting violence or just plain offensive.

Also, my drinking avatar got banned :evil: but there was/is one poster who had/s an avatar of an outlined naked woman with one leg hugging a dancing pole. Family friendly? :|

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:17 pm

Aushiker wrote:Your links just bring up the search page ...

Andrew
One of many times used if you search the word.
Mulger bill wrote:WHAT??!!!!!

I was going NSW for me AL this year and couldn't work out whether to load the MTB or roadie. Now methinks somewhere else can get me dollars.

BASTIGES! :x

Shaun
Search up fubar and snafu and see how many times that has appeared in the past without comment.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:52 pm

AUbicycles wrote: • This is a family friendly forum - so swearing, acronyms for swearing,

Cheers
Christopher
viewtopic.php?f=37&p=488578#p488578
here is a thread full of swearing related acronyms, that mods have contributed to without comment or editing.
For the sake of consisitency I'd expect to see some editing take place so the guidelines, and highlighted mentiion in the OP are met.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:58 pm

Br, there was discussion on swearing nearly a year ago but since you know who Missy is I suspect you've been here before. HTFU was ruled as acceptable.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:21 pm

CommuRider wrote:Br, there was discussion on swearing nearly a year ago but since you know who Missy is I suspect you've been here before. HTFU was ruled as acceptable.
Yeah reported it, but was told that the revised rules were implemented after that thread was started so it stays.
Either it points to laziness, or double standards, as a noob younger member could still find that thread in a search or it could be bumped to the top and exposed. As long as we don't swear or use acronyms now that one is Ok. What if I add one to it now ? will that paradoxically be deleted while the others stay.
Major inconsistencies.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:32 pm

Case by case basis. I think members provided a list of acronyms and most were ruled out. It is in a thread somewhere. Why don't you post the acronyms you want to use and the mods can rule them out again or not.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:48 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote: Yeah reported it, but was told that the revised rules were implemented after that thread was started so it stays.
Either it points to laziness, or double standards, as a noob younger member could still find that thread in a search or it could be bumped to the top and exposed. As long as we don't swear or use acronyms now that one is Ok. What if I add one to it now ? will that paradoxically be deleted while the others stay.
Major inconsistencies.
So, you realy expect the mods to revise the whole forum, dating back to when the forum was made ? :shock:

That thread is not a inconsistencie, but it just falls into the grey area.
That thread is not bad, if anything it is very educational, as I had to google most of the acronyms.. :lol:
The offensive acronyms would be those that everybody knows.

If you would find a 'real' offensive word posted 3 years ago, it wil be removed if you report it.
I often find myself having opinions about mods, but calling them inconsistent?? , never !!! :twisted:
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:35 pm

I guess it comes down to this, there may be some things that don't get noticed or that are old or that don't offend - but more importantly is that the forum is welcoming to family members and the overall style is positive.
Cycling is in my BNA