Foam Roller

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
vander

Foam Roller

Postby vander » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:22 pm

Just wondering anyone used one? This may sound like a dumb question but how do you use them and on what days? After about 10 rolls on the Quads and ITB my muscles are so sore I cant handle it anymore is this normal? Also do you stretch before or after or both?

God I hate the roller but it does feel a lot looser even after my short sessions on it.

eeksll

Re: Foam Roller

Postby eeksll » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:16 am

Back when I had the ITB issue I used it every night. Now I have had it so long, I kinda don't really use it unless I feel particularly tight or sore somewhere (and can be bothered and have the time)

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=22607&start=25#p377651

http://www.smiweb.org/roller.pdf

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:04 am

vander wrote:Just wondering anyone used one? This may sound like a dumb question but how do you use them and on what days? After about 10 rolls on the Quads and ITB my muscles are so sore I cant handle it anymore is this normal? Also do you stretch before or after or both?

God I hate the roller but it does feel a lot looser even after my short sessions on it.

rollers are just like a massage, it is ment to hurt!!!!!!!! i know of guys that have to use gold balls to roll on

maybe try a massage stick http://www.runforyourlife.com.au/shop/i ... ck_web.jpg
when do we stop for coffee???

vander

Postby vander » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:47 am

Thanks guys. Ended up stretching and rolling for about 1 hour last night and my legs were really sore all night but feel a little better this morning. I guess I just have to keep it up.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:03 pm

I think if your sore because its the first time you have ridden that hard, I doubt the foam roller is going to do anything in regards to relieving that soreness. I find stretching first helps in this scenario, cause when its sore, I tend to activate the muscle which presumably stops the massage effect going any deeper.

If your sore cause you train that hard all the time then I don't know cause I don't train hard enough to feel so sore every time.

vander

Postby vander » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:25 pm

eeksll wrote:I think if your sore because its the first time you have ridden that hard, I doubt the foam roller is going to do anything in regards to relieving that soreness. I find stretching first helps in this scenario, cause when its sore, I tend to activate the muscle which presumably stops the massage effect going any deeper.

If your sore cause you train that hard all the time then I don't know cause I don't train hard enough to feel so sore every time.
Yea im pretty much sore cause I train hard a lot. Im stretching most days and still feel its not doing enough for me that is why I have taken up the roller. I think it will just take a few weeks to get used to it.

ireland57

Postby ireland57 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:43 am

You get used to it very quickly......more like days than weeks.
Then you get lazy and don't use it for a while. Not that I do that of course but some people would.

Then it starts again.

And it makes a difference. I even walk up stairs better (my knees track straight) when I'm loose.