Commuting from northern beaches - city

Twinkle toes

Commuting from northern beaches - city

Postby Twinkle toes » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:56 am

Does anyone know the best route to commute from Narrabeen - city during the peak hour week?

I am not familiar with any bike lanes/favoured routes as I am new to the area.

Thanks!

Addictr3

Re: Commuting from northern beaches - city

Postby Addictr3 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:57 pm

Yep, I do it most days, although I live in Manly, I usually ride West head early so i'll be coming back around 730-8am via Narrabeen etc.

I usually ride Pittwater Road right through to Manly, you know where the Harris farms is (at Manly?) I go that way and up to Bally shops. I then ride Sydney road through Seaforth Shops, down the back way of the spit hill. Then its Military Road and into North Sydney.
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

Twinkle toes

Postby Twinkle toes » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:15 pm

I'm not sure where Harris farm is in Manly sorry...

How do you go on Pittwater road with all the traffic? Do you ride in the bus or car lane?

Thanks

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:06 pm

Yes, bus lane and the main road. It isnt too bad. I can meet you one morning if you wanted me to show you the way?

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:10 pm

There's an alternate route that hangs a left and cuts through the Brooky industrial area near the oval, across the hill to the Bowling Club, then backroads/path to top of Spit Hill and down there with the traffic. Parriwi Rd, then there's a couple of options to get into the city. Nothing too scary.

Jim

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:15 pm

If you continue down Condamine St through Manly Vale, there's a shared use path that runs parallel to Burnt Bridge Creek Deviation on the eastern side to get you to the top end of teh run down to Spit BRidge..

I normally come down Wakehurst Parkway myself, down through Seaforth and then along the western side of Spit Bridge to Spit West and up through Beauty Point towards Cammeray. You need to like steep climbs, though :lol:

The wussburger option ;) is to take Parriwi Road, which I usually do on my recovery days. At the end of the short Shared Use section at the top of Parriwi Rd I usually hang a left then a right instead of rejoining Spit Road. Several good options exist from there for zigzagging through the back roads and down towards Kirribilli if you want to avoid Spit Road Parking Lot in the mornings. Military Road is usually OK on the trip home, although I'd avoid it on Friday nights - too many cranky drivers.

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:52 pm

trailgumby wrote:If you continue down Condamine St through Manly Vale, there's a shared use path that runs parallel to Burnt Bridge Creek Deviation on the eastern side to get you to the top end of teh run down to Spit BRidge..

I normally come down Wakehurst Parkway myself, down through Seaforth and then along the western side of Spit Bridge to Spit West and up through Beauty Point towards Cammeray. You need to like steep climbs, though :lol:

The wussburger option ;) is to take Parriwi Road, which I usually do on my recovery days. At the end of the short Shared Use section at the top of Parriwi Rd I usually hang a left then a right instead of rejoining Spit Road. Several good options exist from there for zigzagging through the back roads and down towards Kirribilli if you want to avoid Spit Road Parking Lot in the mornings. Military Road is usually OK on the trip home, although I'd avoid it on Friday nights - too many cranky drivers.
Good advice, except the crankies are always on Military..

Twinkle toes

Postby Twinkle toes » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:16 pm

thanks all!!! Lots of suggestions. Will need to try a few out!!