why dont you race?

trailgumby

Re: why dont you race?

Postby trailgumby » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:17 pm

I race off-road occasionally and it's great fun. The atmosphere is excellent, and the elitist attitude that infects surfing (my previous passion) is conspicuous by its absence.

Far from being up themselves and looking down their noses at you, nearly all the elite guys couldn't be nicer on the track. In what other sport do you get to race with the worlds best, and engage in friendly chat for as long as you can hold their wheel?

On the 50-100km races you end up fairly quickly getting sorted into bunches of similar technical and cardiac ability, and a little friendly rivalry adds to the fun.

One of the things that contributes to the super-supportive atmosphere is the dependancy we all have on each other for safety should something go wrong in the middle of the bush. Unlike roadies (as I understand it - correct me if I'm wrong), we operate on a "no-one gets left behind" principle. If someone is slow rejoining the group at the next natural regrouping point, we'll go back and look for them. Crashing, or even simply getting lost, is no laughing matter even at relatively tame places within Sydney like Terrey Hills. Could be hours or even days before someone finds you.

iaintas

Postby iaintas » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:13 pm

Cant speak for the mainland, but i found the vets down here in Hobart are not elitist in the slightest, and i have been welcomed from day 1 of racing last year, its certainly motivated me to become a better cyclist and have met some guys that i now ride regularly with through the rest of the week. I do find it amazing that hundreds of people turn out to the Amy ride, the mt wellington time trial etc to test themselves yet on Sunday morning maybe 20-25 people turn up.

mcdurdin

Postby mcdurdin » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:53 pm

And yet, when the Vets had the chance to rename their club and open it to all age groups this year, they opted not to. They've only got themselves to blame for poor turnout.
Still young enough to win the Tour de France

skull

Postby skull » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:00 pm

didn't the outcome of the meeting end up with them saying they will drop the word vets?

It doesn't phase me anyway.

edit: yep it did
Minutes
STVCC name change.
Much discussion accompanied this item centred
around:  
• transparency of process;
• the recognition of history of STVCC;
• sensitivities of older members;
• the need to permit members to
participate in the process;
• wrong impression and confusion created
by the current name in the minds of the
cycling public.
Following the article written by Peter and Nigel,
the majority of support received was for the
simple omission of the "Veterans" component
from the name. This suggestion met with the
approval of two founding members present at
the AGM (Mike Nunn and Brian Palmer) as the
original name of the club was more with the
affiliation with the AVCC less than the nature of
the riders.
The eventual motion proposed was: that the
future name of the club is selected from the
options below by a full committee meeting and
that the selected name is then ratified by a ballot
of members present at the next General Meeting.
Name Options:
Southern Tasmanian Cycling Club
Southern Tasmanian Masters Cycling Club
Southern Tasmanian Cycling Association
*Feedback on the name can be sent to
stvcc.asn.au@gmail.com

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:44 pm

trailgumby wrote:
One of the things that contributes to the super-supportive atmosphere is the dependancy we all have on each other for safety should something go wrong in the middle of the bush. Unlike roadies (as I understand it - correct me if I'm wrong), we operate on a "no-one gets left behind" principle. If someone is slow rejoining the group at the next natural regrouping point, we'll go back and look for them. Crashing, or even simply getting lost, is no laughing matter even at relatively tame places within Sydney like Terrey Hills. Could be hours or even days before someone finds you.
Are you talking about racing or just social riding here? I cant imagine you wait for people or go looking for them in a race?

If it is social riding then of course it just depends on the group, some let it be known you need to fend for yourself if dropped. Others will do whatever it takes to make sure you are not dropped in the first place.

I have never raced the MTB but I plan to have a go at something over summer. I have heard the atmosphere at the events is really good, I have watched a couple of races and it did look like fun....painful fun...

Releng

Postby Releng » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:07 pm

iaintas wrote:I have noticed lately that there are lots and lots of cyclists around Hobart on the weekends and even weekdays, but so few come racing at the vets, we all know cyclists can be a competitive bunch of people so why so few racing down this way? At the open race the other day there was only 15 cyclists. pretty piss poor really.
When I read this post yesterday I wondered why I did not race, I could not come up with a good reason. So today I did.

I went along the the Northern Veterans who have a policy to give one free taster race to anyone who shows up without joining the club and getting a racing licence. What a friendly group of people, 57 riders across 7 grades. I was put in F Grade which due to my not having much experience in bunch riding suited my ability well. During the 2 x 24K laps of an undulating course I was instructed in the most friendly manner how to ride in a bunch with some etiquette. I was encouraged to take my turn at the front with my competitors continually giving encouragement and advice. The first lap was a bit of an effort but the second one seemed to go quickly and easily and saw me riding into the finish with enough left in the tank to get clear in the closing metres to take first place.
I really do not know why I waited to do this, the riding was some of the safest I have experienced with corner marshals and lead and following cars. The friendly banter and support from the officials and other competitors made for a very pleasant morning. Topped off by picking up my first place award to an embarrassing amount of applause.

Iaintas thanks for an action provoking post.

Comedian

why dont you race?

Postby Comedian » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:53 pm

At this point i have my goals and
I'm working towards them.

Plus, I'm really not keen on running over - or being run over by 15 other cyclists. :o

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:23 pm

Nice one Releng, I have heard they get great numbers racing up north. Sounds like a good bunch of people too.

I am in the same boat and echo the thanks to Ian. When I thought about it, I'd be riding on Sunday anyway so why not have a go. My experience was much the same as Releng, nice bunch of people who are more than happy to encourage newcomers. Although I did not win!! How is that, win your first race!! E grade next time :twisted: :lol:

This was with STVCC at Richmond. The Mike Cole Memorial, 48km handicap. I rode with D grade. 7 starters in D and in the end 4 of us were caught with about 500m to go! There was one bloke in particular who tried to keep things organized and encouraged me when I was suffering a bit. I dont know his name but thanks mate, will thank him in person next time.

Short of yelling who is Skull and Ian!? I was not sure if you guys were there? Are you skull? Are you skull? :oops: If you were, I was on the red Specialized. say gday if ya spot me.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:33 pm

Oxford, I was thinking more along the lines of a flat. I dont think it matters if its road or dirt race, no one will wait if you flat or have some other kind of mechanical problem.

I agree social mtb rides are more likely to stick together. Its a safety thing to do with being in remote areas sometimes. Its not the same as a suburban road ride.

I dont like the idea of people waiting for me on a road ride. But have no problem waiting for others, I am sure 99% of them feel the same.

The fend for yourself bunches are the exception to the rule I think.

If someone is in distress, sick, injured then of course they will not be left alone. Not by me at least.

skull

Postby skull » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:37 pm

Yeah I was there, in that bunch with you all the way until div 4 got caught 400m from the line. I was on the cannondale supersix wearing the bandanna under my helmet.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:50 pm

Ah really! Well there ya go, hang on I think I have the right one...did I run into you near Montrose on the way home?

I wasnt expecting to be able to race when I got there late, after that its all a bit of a blur. I could not tell ya what bikes anyone was on, all I really saw was the back of them anyway.

iaintas

Postby iaintas » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:56 pm

Great day at Richmond today, i was racing B grade on a red Merida wearing a Cervelo top :oops:, great day today, great weather and a great turn out. Glad i motivated a few boys to get out there today, and just goes to show this elitist tag just isn't true :)

skull

Postby skull » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:04 pm

Baldy wrote:Ah really! Well there ya go, hang on I think I have the right one...did I run into you near Montrose on the way home?

Yes that was me. You profile photo looks nothing like you in real life.

I felt that it was a hard pace we had going today too, I was hurting a bit from yesterday and really had to work it to stay in our bunch.

So will you be heading back for more then, it was good to have a decent size grade today. Usually only 3-4 riders in D grade.

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:44 pm

skull wrote:
Baldy wrote:Ah really! Well there ya go, hang on I think I have the right one...did I run into you near Montrose on the way home?

Yes that was me. You profile photo looks nothing like you in real life.

I felt that it was a hard pace we had going today too, I was hurting a bit from yesterday and really had to work it to stay in our bunch.

So will you be heading back for more then, it was good to have a decent size grade today. Usually only 3-4 riders in D grade.
:lol: That would be Kerry O'Keefe....aka Skull 8) Thats twilight zone stuff....

Yep I will try and make myself a regular. I am going to buy a full licence after Oct 1, that should help motivate me to get the most out of it.

bazsand

Postby bazsand » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:05 pm

After reading your report Baldy maybe I should give a race a go, sounds like you had a ball.....
I've never really had the desire too race though, preception of not being fast enough to compete I suppose?????
Felt AR2

Baldy

Postby Baldy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:18 pm

For sure Barry, its worth a go to see if you like it.

And I can assure you mate, you would have been the 5th person with us at the end. No problem at all.

Although one bloke was unlucky when he dropped his chain as we came out of Tea Tree rd, otherwise he might have held on.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:50 pm

trailgumby wrote:I race off-road occasionally and it's great fun.....
really well said TG.

I've had a few races and intend to have a few more eventually.
Never in my wildest dreams did I think I ever would, for the reasons mentioned by the non racers.
Yes racing has its risks which are probably obvious.

But the benefits may not be.
- the social benefits are underrated. outside of work, as you age, it gets harder to meet people with similar interests or values. and it is especially hard to socialize regularly doing something healthy.
- race training and racing accelerate your cycling skills quicker than any other way imo. Most of my group rides are with guys who race, and the superiority of their skills over fitness/social riders is unquestionable - better bike handling, drafting, more stable in tight formations, safer road riders, more informed about bike maintenance and the physical limits of a bike.
Essentially, you learn a lot from riding and coffee with cyclists who have been doing it longer and at a more advanced level than yourself.
- more experienced racers are also a repository of info about better performance for less effort. many recreational riders get quite obsessive about cycling and over-ride, thus exhausting themselves and neglecting other aspects of their lives.
OTOH, racers are more into the science of optimal performance, and tend to moderate their volume and up their intensity.

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:01 pm

Ill wade in, the Vets are defintely not Elitist and a great bunuch of guys to talk to. You can even do a Cruise Class most races if your not keen on racing and follow the race around, which is still a decent tempo. There are evts riders throughout the week for a variety of standards and distances. Ive been racing for this year and enjoyed every race, apart from the few I have suffered on.

Racing gives you a good understanding of the road rules and why we follow then, good bunch skills and other riding skills you may or may not pick up and also etiquette. Some of which isnt taught in the rides around Hobart with various groups.

There IS racing on Saturdays especially with the Crit series coming up (I cant wait for that) and when track racing starts then that will be on Friday nights which is great to watch. There are a few loan bikes to have a go as well.

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:09 pm

Skull and Baldy what grade did you race?

I should have raced out at the Vets but raced track instead.

skull

Postby skull » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:37 pm

Div 4. Was there track racing on?

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:27 pm

Can I add another reason why I've been a bit reluctant to race. I'm told that the handicapper at my local club will take one look at me and put me in B-grade. I might be fit enough for it but I'd feel like I was being fed to the lions. :o

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:27 pm

Oxford wrote:
Comedian wrote:Can I add another reason why I've been a bit reluctant to race. I'm told that the handicapper at my local club will take one look at me and put me in B-grade. I might be fit enough for it but I'd feel like I was being fed to the lions. :o
yep, Terry would throw you to the lions, straight to B grade for you. fitness wise, you'd probably be OK, but technically you'd probably feel a bit uneasy in a bunch. I know I did first race even though I had done plenty of bunch riding. there's something about racing that brings out the idiot side of some riders. I gave up racing after riding in an A grade breakaway and when we tried to pass the B grade bunch on the track, they got confused and spread out nearly running us off the track. just decided it was not worth damaging me or my gear.
yeah... you see.... thats not selling it to me :0 :mrgreen:

Redbull

why dont you race?

Postby Redbull » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:28 pm

Standard practice at our club when introducing them to the registrar/handicapper goes something like this.

" gidday Roger, this is so and so. They just finished the dutch/italian/french (take your pick) racing season and looking to stretch their legs today"

Then watch the denials come thick and fast :)
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

RobRollin

Postby RobRollin » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:01 pm

You start in D at the STVCC, if you demolish the group then you will get bumped.

I was there training and a bunch of others and started racing doing Miss and Outs.

r2160

Postby r2160 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:20 pm

I can tell you that the reason some people dont race is the "win at all costs" attitude of some.

When you see riders taking extraordinary risks to get a place in a race, that is invariably worth a $10 or $20 prize, you have to ask the question, why are people willling to take unbelievable risks, or place others in danger for such little reward?

The other problem are burglars, or as I like to call them, cheats. People that are CLEARLY too strong for a grade, but persist in trying to stay down a grade they don't belong for the sake of $20. It really does spoil it for everybody else.

Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong