Racing

vander

Racing

Postby vander » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:25 pm

I have a few questions about racing. Looks like I will start this weekend (provided it doesnt take a certain amount of time for membership to clear).

What I wanted to know is:
How to go about getting a racing licence - Do you just do it online? Do you have to talk to people from the club? What is the best way, and does it take time to clear?
How do you find races? I know all clubs have different races at different times do you have to race only certain clubs races or is it just whatever? Is there any website that has all the different clubs together or anything?
How much do races cost to enter? I understand there is prize money for some how does it work or does it change lots for every race?

Thanks in advance Dan.

stevecassidy

Re: Racing

Postby stevecassidy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:57 pm

Vander, great that you're going to give it a go. Waratahs Masters race every week in your area, next weekend at Lansdowne Park in Bankstown, see the schedule here. In your first race you probably want to be in D grade just to get the hang of things so start would be at 7.45.

You need to join a club to get a racing license, you can join Waratahs on the day if you wish, fees are explained on the website. You can get a day membership if you just want to try it out. Another club in your area is LACC. Both are friendly and welcoming. LACC runs its own races but you can race pretty much anywhere once you have a license.

Good luck!

Steve
Where's your next race? cabici.net lists bike races in Sydney

philip

Postby philip » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:06 pm

vander wrote:How to go about getting a racing licence - Do you just do it online? Do you have to talk to people from the club? What is the best way, and does it take time to clear?
Yeah online is easiest. You should wait until 1st Oct because the you'll get a licence for next year with oct/nov/dec thrown in. Doesn't take any time to clear, from memory you'll get an online receipt which you can print and take to races until you get your licence in the mail.
vander wrote:How do you find races? I know all clubs have different races at different times do you have to race only certain clubs races or is it just whatever? Is there any website that has all the different clubs together or anything?
There's no one website that list all races, but if you have a look at websites for clubs in Sydney (have a look at the nsw cycling site for a list of clubs) that'll give you an idea. NSW cycling site lists all the open races in their calendar.
vander wrote:How much do races cost to enter? I understand there is prize money for some how does it work or does it change lots for every race?
Each club is different, club races are normally $10 or so (check websites), opens cost more, prize money can depend on how big it is, what place you get etc.

Have fun!

vander

Postby vander » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:35 pm

Unfortunately I'm 10years short of Waratahs. I have been doing group rides with LACC for about a month so I think I will join up with them. I'm not going to lie I'm really excited to do my first race.

Thanks Phillip that helps heaps. Do you need to wear anything in particular as I don't have a short sleeve jersey yet. Can I just wear t-shirts?

Also is there any races that are free?

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:18 pm

vander wrote: Do you need to wear anything in particular as I don't have a short sleeve jersey yet. Can I just wear t-shirts?
you will be fine in a plain T-Shirt, as long as you can pin a number to it. http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/?Page=10778

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:12 am

Vander Vander Vander, so many questions and so little time. :lol:

I don't know about now, but when I was racing if, you didn't have club colours you had to ride in a white t-shirt in open races but any colours were fine for club racing.

As Phillip said wait the extra few days for membership, so you get the full twelve months for your money. :wink:

Don't be in a big hurry to go up grades straight away. Learn the craft of racing and foxing in the different grades and enjoy the world of hurting others and yourself. :twisted:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

vander

Postby vander » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:09 pm

Is there a way to sign up for a new membership online? Or am I just blind? Hoping you can do this as I plan on racing on monday.

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:29 am

vander wrote:Is there a way to sign up for a new membership online? Or am I just blind? Hoping you can do this as I plan on racing on monday.
You should be able to get a "day licence" for your race. Our club allows a rider to purchase 3x day licences per annum.

Take some money or your cheque book with you and the club should be able to do your full CA licence at the sametime.

If its an OPEN event that requires nomination via CA then you might have an issue, probably need to get someone from the club to call CA so you can sort it out.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"