What to do????

Matthews

What to do????

Postby Matthews » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:25 am

I have been running and bike riding for a few months now and have just started swimming a few weeks ago. I would love to give the Busselton 70.3 a go. The problem I face is due to religious reason i don't race on Sunday's. I have had a quick look at the local tri clubs and and there is none close to where i live and they all have there races on the Sunday that i could see. May be some one can correct me if I'm wrong. Do I just buy the TriWA membership so that I can hopefully get into the Busselton 70.3? There is a few other races that are on a Saturday that i will try and get to but they are the sprint series. Not sure if any one is a member of a local club that can let me in on a few of the other benefits. I should add that i live about 30kms south of the CBD in Perth

Leiothrix

Re: What to do????

Postby Leiothrix » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:01 pm

The quickest answer to that is get a new religion. :D

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:26 pm

By the time you get to the mid point of the run, you'll have been thinking "oh God, this hurts, oh God, why?, oh God, please make it stop, oh God, etc etc etc" for so long that when you finish it will have been like one great long session of penance, prayer, and pain.....

I'm sure He will be satisfied that you aren't indulging yourself in vain..... :)
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:34 pm

Leiothrix wrote:The quickest answer to that is get a new religion. :D
+1

Dilemma there: triathlon or religion. Most triathlons are held on weekends too.

Why don't you go mainstream instead of staying in your no-sports-on-Sundays religion? I can understand the Salvos and their no war thing, and to some extent the ultra-orthodox Jews with their boundaries and do-nothing-Saturdays because they keep to themselves and don't do any sports much.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:49 pm

It is a problem, certainly.

Do you have some medium for asking the question within your own church/synagogue/temple? Perhaps someone else has found the answer you seek.

Another aproach - as a last ditch, you could try and set up a subculture of racing to suit. Obviously it is not the ideal and it likely would fail on numbers of those who share your particular faith and also ride at a similar level to yourself. But still maybe...

The world would certainly not be worse off if you started up a cycling club, found more riders and added to the range of events out there.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

yarravalleyplodder

Postby yarravalleyplodder » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:34 pm

Its tough if you feel sundays are out because most events (tri's, runs & rides) tend to be on sundays
Last edited by yarravalleyplodder on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Felt F75
2012 Fuji Nevada 2.0

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:43 pm

Seems to me like this thread is heading down path of a banned discussion.

Forum Rules.
The following topics / content does not belong in this forum:
• Religion / Sexuality / Sex / Politics / Race & Ethnicity
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Parker

Postby Parker » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:54 pm

Speak to your congregation and ask them how they feel about you doing Bussleton and not making it to your Sunday commitments, with an aim like Busso and a few things like that in between I'm sure that the congregation would want to stand behind you and support you, surely what you want to accomplish is inspirational to others? Perhaps you could raise money for charity whilst doing it, in conjunction with the congregation.

A runner that I know has the same issue, but she also wants to run a marathon, she will need to make some sacrifices to make it to those races/runs.

sinnes

Postby sinnes » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:40 pm

Hi,

I recently joined the Freo Tri club, and they apparently run Aquathons during the year which sound like fun. I don't have any more details than that at the moment. Also as far as Tris go, I know the Triseries Champion Lakes race is run on a Saturday too.

Matthews

Postby Matthews » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:03 am

Thanks for the in-put every one. I will be entering all the Saturday events at this stage that i can make. I guess I should have worded my question as to which club runs events on Saturday.

bomberdon

Postby bomberdon » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:53 am

Check out the TRIWA event calendar

http://triathlonwa.mhsoftware.com/ViewN ... Month.html

Majority of events are on Sundays, with a handful on Saturdays. I'm guessing clubs may also run inhouse events on Saturdays..

Good luck.

TrekStar

Postby TrekStar » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:23 pm

Do a race for a good cause, for a charity. God, and your congregation will thank you for it.