Recommend me a BikeFit in Melbourne

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
melbnut

Postby melbnut » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:06 pm

Evening all,

I have searched through here... and other places for some information and links to bikefit in melbourne. There seem to be a heap of them around but i dont want to waste money on a rubbish fitment.

Can anyone make a first hand recommendation of someone in melbourne who does a good job?

Thanks in advance for any help!

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:05 pm

Not first hand, but if I ever get around to getting a fit done, it will be with Emma Coulson (AT) topbike. Heard nothing but good things, but she is only in Melbourne for part of the year. If you do a search on the forums there have been a few threads on this topic, you may find some more recommendations there.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

jimh

Re: Recommend me a BikeFit in Melbourne

Postby jimh » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:26 pm

Hi have been wondering about the benefits of this myself - if you find somebody who does a good job - be good to hear about it....

Also, I found this link http://bikepro.com.au/diy-bike-fitting may be worthwhile giving it ago - comments on the article ???

good luck with it
Jim

Newton

Postby Newton » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:57 am

Try these out, start with the RETUL web site and go from there ... http://www.retul.com/

Tri Alliance
Melbourne

Body Care Solutions
St. Kilda, Victoria
Certification Status: Retül University Certified Fitter

Torq Australia
Carrum Downs, VIC
Certification Status: Retül University Certified Fitter

melbnut

Postby melbnut » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:28 pm

thanks guys. I think i am going to try out the retul fit at bodycare. I will put up a review when i manage to get in there.

kimmie

Postby kimmie » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:32 pm

Hi melbnut,

Have you got a chance to get a bike fit? I would like to get one myself, and interested to find out where the best place in Melbourne for that.

Thanks.
"Ride like the wind, Bullseye!"

booge

Postby booge » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:24 am

I had a Retul fit done by Andrew from Body Care Solutions about 2 months ago. It's the best thing i've done for my riding. I previously had a Kennedy fit a few years back, which i was never totally happy with. He gave me the standard angled stem, waaay set back seatpost, a few pedal shims, it cost me over $600!! I was told by him what my problems were instead of him really listening to what i was saying.

Andrew from RETUL was absolutely great, I got the whole package with Spin Scan analysis too. I was a bit suss on the whole computer thing but it really worked for me. The spin scan showed me that my "weak" leg which i had broken a few years ago was actually my stronger efficient leg....bit of a shock!

Andrew didn't even upsell me extra stems posts etc. He does everything to fit you with the existing parts on your bike and only changes things if absolutely necessary. I was lucky enough not to need any new components. First ride after the fit was a 1 in 20 ride. I actually knocked 1min30secs off my time without even trying really hard. The bike just feels right now, no other way to describe it. After two 1 in 20 rides i've taken nearly 3 minutes off my time. I've almost cracked 20 mins now!

The last few years were frustrating riding after my leg injury as i just felt uneven and all out of whack when i rode. The bike now just feels natural and balanced and makes me want to ride more.

So in summing up, GO TO RETUL!!

melbnut

Postby melbnut » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:27 pm

Hi,

I actually also had a retul fit performed by Andrew. I agree totally that it was a great thing to do. Only issue was that i had to put the seat down by about 5mm after the fit as i was getting a strain in my knee from the huge change.

pauls51

Postby pauls51 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:01 pm

booge wrote:I had a Retul fit done by Andrew from Body Care Solutions about 2 months ago. It's the best thing i've done for my riding. I previously had a Kennedy fit a few years back, which i was never totally happy with. He gave me the standard angled stem, waaay set back seatpost, a few pedal shims, it cost me over $600!! I was told by him what my problems were instead of him really listening to what i was saying.
!!

I experienced the same when I had myself fitted to my Bianchi and am now looking for an alternative fit... How long does the process take if I book myself in with Andrew??? (hoping to get a proper fit for the Ridley)

grasshopper

Postby grasshopper » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:15 pm

Emma is good, but might be a bit busy atm. Lots of people are happy with Carl at Cycle Science in Mitcham, and he's cheaper.

booge

Postby booge » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:23 am

My fit with Andrew took just over 2 hours, i got the works though. If you had just the basic fit, i couldn't see it going longer than 1 1/2 hours.

Parker

Postby Parker » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:44 am

booge wrote:My fit with Andrew took just over 2 hours, i got the works though. If you had just the basic fit, i couldn't see it going longer than 1 1/2 hours.
I had a fit with him as well, couldn't be happier

blatant

Postby blatant » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:16 am

how much does retul cost to get done? I'm guessing there's a standard 'fit' fee and you pay for any parts they change?