Using Citycycle ( a regelar cyclists review )

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:22 am

OK here comes the story :D

On wednesday I took the day off work because I had a half day community/government meeting in the afternoon. Because of that I wanted to attend it in business attire (eg looking respectable) okay a bus trip :roll: not to keen on that $6 down the drain. I could of ridden my bike (yes,no shirt) and changed but a not the best look (yes i know I do it for work but I have a place to sit and dry first ther) and both my bikes were out of action (one exploded :shock: and one flat tire :( )

I chose to give citycycle a go as since the prices have come down dramaticly since last month. A day casual membership is $2. As I am increadably tight with money $6 compared with $2, citycycle was a go. In the morning I did the signup and pay bit, really quite easy, at the end they give you a personal number and you select your pin. Me being impatient went straight outside to the local station (100m away) to see if it worked. It worked out came a bike for me ( :oops: after i noticed I had to press the release button on the rack :roll: ). Alot of bikes now come helmets. I gave the bike a short ride up and down the path near it to see how it handled. Compared with my bikes that have turning circles of a small elephant the steering was very touchy. I also noticed the gearing was incredably low, top gear being far lower then what climb most hill and start off from lights in.

Time came for the meeting (after shower and shave) I dumped my sash bag (the least gay I could get, no it's not leather) in the front basket with the council helmet (i had my own on) and I took off. The first mistake I had forgotten to raise my seat after a few hundred metres I had to pull up and fix it. As i gradually climbed up to the storey bridge out of New Farm I realised how very important it is to have low gearing on a true city bike. Second Mistake I should of unbuttoned some of my shirt I started to heat up as I had to spin instead of my normal out of the saddle and slog. Travelling under the story bridge I found the bell a little short on volume compared with the bell on bike and the hub brakes do not grab quite like V bracks that said I was able to still decend the steep Ivory Lane safely if not quite slowly. From there on it was a slow potter along to the meeting at Albert St. Reraking seams to be the hardest bit trying to get it lined up. Ouch 20mins still within the first 30min free bit (per ride) but still twice as long as when with my own bikes. A little sweaty but not to bad. The ride home was fairly similar but I had to get off and push it up Ivory Lane a bit more respectable 15mins on the ride home.

All in all it worked quite well.
Useabilty - The log on system is quite easy and staight forward
- The station Towers are fairly simple just remember to read the screen
- The racks are simple just remember to press the release button :oops: before pulling out a bike and line it up when returning and wait for the green light.

Bikes - The gearing is very low but for people without regular cycling legs (etc strength) it would be quite good. The internal gear hub was essential as I was unsure what gear to be in (even though they were all very low)
- the steering took a bit for me to get used to but worked quite well the only thing wrong with it i found was that you could not pedel as you made a sharp turn as your foot would hit the front wheel.
- The ride was a bit on the bouncy side but this could of easily be fixed of the handle bar grips were changed to something a bit bigger.
- Speed while the bikes were vastly slower then mine the times were still faster then using the bus and walking to the meetings building, and were still faster then using my own bikes and having to pull my locks out and lock them up myself.

All in all it was easy and quick. While there were the down sides I will still being using this next time I have a Meeting in the City.
For more info see www.citycycle.com.au
Oh no i am not employed by citycycle ( work as a drafty :P )

Donald
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

Comedian

Re: Using Citycycle ( a regelar cyclists review )

Postby Comedian » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:48 am

Thanks for the review! :)

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:29 am

I regularly walk past several City Cycle Stations and fairly regularly see all the stands occupied with a bike. Just curious but if you’re planning to terminate your ride at one of these fully occupied sites what do you do?
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:14 pm

There is a system where you log in and it will give you an extra 15mins to get to another station.

Donald
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

beanspropulsion

Postby beanspropulsion » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:38 pm

Did the river loop yesterday and actually saw someone riding one!

My mates and I reckon it would be a hoot to do Cootha on them. See who could get the best time.

Citycycle should sponsor the event.

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:27 pm

beanspropulsion wrote:My mates and I reckon it would be a hoot to do Cootha on them. See who could get the best time.
yeah, I've been fairly keen to give this a go :lol: Shame the usage charges ramp so steeply after the free period.

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:08 pm

More usable now the come with helmets but not sure how hygienic that is.
They should let you use your go card to check them out

lethoso

Postby lethoso » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:08 pm

themerlin wrote:They should let you use your go card to check them out
I think the main issue with this is that you can get a go card anonymously, without tying it to a credit card - too easy to hire and bike and steal it/ditch it/whatever.

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:43 am

Hamster wrote:I regularly walk past several City Cycle Stations and fairly regularly see all the stands occupied with a bike. Just curious but if you’re planning to terminate your ride at one of these fully occupied sites what do you do?
You can use the website or an app on your iphone/android to check if there are stations with parking available at your location before you leave, or to check for the closest available parking if you end up at a full station.

They can also be used to find the closest station with available bikes before you start. The stations themselves will also tell you were the closest available bikes are if you are at an empty one.

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:17 pm

Thanks for the review, interested in trying it out.

Cooth-tha on a CityCycle has been been done by the brother of a girl I work with - read all about it http://itsthom.posterous.com/mt-coot-tha-on-a-citycycle
Long day's journey into alt-bars

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:23 pm

And here's a snap of some Paris hire bikes in action - took this in May, there were heaps of them in use. Of course the Left Bank is a bit more cycle friendly than Brisbane CBD. http://www.flickr.com/photos/benatherto ... hotostream

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:00 am

lethoso wrote:
themerlin wrote:They should let you use your go card to check them out
I think the main issue with this is that you can get a go card anonymously, without tying it to a credit card - too easy to hire and bike and steal it/ditch it/whatever.
My go card it tied to a credit card with auto to up so they limit it to those cards.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:13 am

The thing with the Go Card intergration is that it does not have to have money on it just like the Citycycle card.
You would do the normal sign up thing with Credit Card and such and at the end it would ask you do you want a new City Cycle Card or to use your Go Card. This way it would be still be linked to your Credit Card but allow you to use your Go Card to access the system. Lets Face it we all already have far to many cards in our wallets.

Ofcourse this is just an Idea but the CBD BUG is trying to get this or some other intergration to happen. The Mayor recently (this Past Week on ABC Breakfast radio) said that they were working to get something to work. Details of that I do not have.

Donald

pentlandexile

Postby pentlandexile » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:40 pm

I had a go on one of these today - much more enticing now they've dropped the one-day option to $2.

The bike was fun and easy to ride and seemed in good nick.

I was a bit puzzled by the locations of the hire stations at South Bank though. The main one is at South Bank train station, but there are none along the riverside bike paths in the South Bank Parkland. Thinking about it I suspect the South Bank corporation refused to let BCC set any up on its land. If that's true, it's shortsighted - it would be great if the stations could be set up along existing bike paths to strengthen the bike-only infrastructure and make it even easier to go for a spin.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:22 am

From what I underside there was big conflict between the to. Originally BCC was to install extra bike racks at Southbank TAFE on Coalchester St for the students but as the street is controlled by Southbank and not BCC, Southbank blocked it and the racks were never installed. I suspect the same thing happened when it came to Citycycle. Ofcourse now with the forgone of the Change of government Southbank has changed there mind and Citycycle will NOW be installed inside Southbank.

As fore citycycle and Go Card. I was talking to a BCC guy at the Bicycle expo (waste of money that was) apparently it is just a software thing. The readers read the Go Cards just not correctly at the moment and it could be sorted out.

Donald

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:02 am

Thanks for all the info peoples :D

This has shed a fair bit of light on the subject & I'm a little more tempted in joining up & using the bikes to hoot around the city.

What would happen if you went out on one helmetless ?
I'm not against helmets in any way, but are there signs for foreign users warning them of possible fines by the local authorities ?
Helmets being supplied sounds like a good attempt to increase usage, but maybe they need disposable helmet liners like toilet seat covers in the more "posh" loo's.

Would going off road (gravel roads not Gap Creek single track) be acceptable ?

What happens if you crash one & damage it ? What is the outcome for flat tyres ? Do they have a breakdown service ?

Is there an age restriction or rider weight limit ? (It says 17 years of age to subscribe, but what's stopping you from swiping out a bike for a 12 year old ?)

Would drafting a bus down Adelaide Street be illegal ?

If forming a pace line with other City Cycle users is it snot rockets road side or kerb side ?

Are there water bottle holders ?
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:43 am

Oh I forgot to add that figures are up. Things are improving patronage wise which hopefully means we are finally beating Melboure with each bike being used 0.4 times each day. While this is a long way off Dublin at 9.0 times a day things are still going up. When we lost the floating walkway we really lost half the network in one shot.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... 1l1ee.html

As for many of the questions
It is really just easier to have a look at www.citycycle.com.au under FAQ tab

Donald

dfc.

Postby dfc. » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:51 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:Thanks for all the info peoples :D

This has shed a fair bit of light on the subject & I'm a little more tempted in joining up & using the bikes to hoot around the city.

What would happen if you went out on one helmetless ?
I'm not against helmets in any way, but are there signs for foreign users warning them of possible fines by the local authorities ?
Helmets being supplied sounds like a good attempt to increase usage, but maybe they need disposable helmet liners like toilet seat covers in the more "posh" loo's.

Would going off road (gravel roads not Gap Creek single track) be acceptable ?

What happens if you crash one & damage it ? What is the outcome for flat tyres ? Do they have a breakdown service ?

Is there an age restriction or rider weight limit ? (It says 17 years of age to subscribe, but what's stopping you from swiping out a bike for a 12 year old ?)

Would drafting a bus down Adelaide Street be illegal ?

If forming a pace line with other City Cycle users is it snot rockets road side or kerb side ?

Are there water bottle holders ?
I have also tested the CityCycles out. I found them to be fun.

You said about off-road. I don't see a problem, I took mine to a skate park.
Visit my website https://sites.google.com/site/dfccyclesandautomotive/Owner of:

2006 Malvern Star Cobra (Mountain Bike)

2011 Trek 7.3FX (Flat Bar Road Bike) Just delivered!

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:14 pm

The day the helmet exception is enacted I'll sign up. I just can't see the point until then. :)

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:34 pm

beanspropulsion wrote:Did the river loop yesterday and actually saw someone riding one!

My mates and I reckon it would be a hoot to do Cootha on them. See who could get the best time.

Citycycle should sponsor the event.
Great idea :D ! Checked out the link and it was good for a laugh, it would be cool to see a few dozen trying it at the same time.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:19 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:What would happen if you went out on one helmetless ?
nothing, if you can flash a doctor's certificate saying you cannot wear one on medical grounds. Qld Road Rule s256

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:01 am

:bump:

Ohai, banana benders :) Hit town a couple of days ago for a 5 day work event at QUT, allow me to rave about CityCycle! It has bailed me out on two occasions already (mercy missions to Officeworks that I wouldn't have made on foot in time).

As soon as it became apparent the racks are on pretty much every corner, I jumped online at the hotel signed up for a weekly sub. Yes, the courtesy helmet thing is deeply rank, but I've ignored my misgivings and - please don't tell on me - commandeered the least mingy one I could find until I leave.

Considering how quickly things like this could go to ruin, the bikes seem to be hardy and in good nick, I've only seen one flat tyre at a station so far. Although they're heavy mothers they ride quite nicely for what they are.

Others at the event I've spoken to (locals and visitors) reacted with combinations of :shock: :? :lol: when I've sung its praises. And I arranged to meet a Brisbane based friend one evening, and she Would. Not. Countenance the idea of me riding one out to meet her at Southbank - in a real 'Friends Don't Let Friends Ride Bikes!" kind of way.

Anyhoo, in short, I dig :) Any talk on how the system is going these days? Last media I could find was from last year.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:06 pm

Lizzy wrote:Any talk on how the system is going these days? Last media I could find was from last year.
I use one every day to get to my office. They are much more convenient than my own bikes - no concerns about secure parking, and I can ride in my office clothing.
So now after my twice a weekly river loop, I go home and dress for the office, then ride a Citycycle to work.
Check out the Citycycle web site for the latest news.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

high_tea

Postby high_tea » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:43 pm

I'm not a daily user, but they are brilliant for slightly-too-far-to-walk trips around the city/Valley/Southbank. Defo renewing my subscription.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:00 am

Lizzy wrote: Anyhoo, in short, I dig :) Any talk on how the system is going these days? Last media I could find was from last year.
There have been some recent improvements recently but I think it's still running about 5% of equivalent systems elsewhere in the world.