Pedals for Road/crit Race

silkishuge

Pedals for Road/crit Race

Postby silkishuge » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:23 pm

Hi,
The NSCC are having crits tomorrow morning and I was thinking of taking part in my first race. It will probably my last race in a long time because most races are on Sundays and I don't ride on Sundays, but I Thought it would be an interesting experience.
The question I have is regarding pedals. I always used mtb pedals on my bikes. I have road pedals and road shoes but only used them when I am on the trainer, so my usual shoes don't get soaked through. Anyway, I would appreciate if anyone can help me with this. I hope I can stick to my mtb pedals, saves me the trouble of changing them.

Thanks

Jon

vander

Re: Pedals for Road/crit Race

Postby vander » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:35 pm

I will hopefully be out there tomorrow for my first race also. If the weather permits (Im not sure if its on if its raining) and if I can get a licence.

As for the pedals I have no idea sorry.

For regular racing you might want to look at something like penrith who in summer have races on Tuesday night there are a few others that have races that arent on Sundays.

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:42 pm

vander wrote:I will hopefully be out there tomorrow for my first race also. If the weather permits (Im not sure if its on if its raining) and if I can get a licence.

As for the pedals I have no idea sorry.

For regular racing you might want to look at something like penrith who in summer have races on Tuesday night there are a few others that have races that arent on Sundays.
Thanks Vander for the other race options. I know of them but can't take part in them. If you check the NSCC website in the morning, there should be news if the race is cancelled. If you are already there and the race is cancelled, you could always take a ride to Calga. I was planning to do that if I don't race tomorrow. Mrs S is not keen on me racing because of health reasons. I have not told her yet :wink:

Good luck in the race tomorrow. Might see you there and if it is our first race, we will probably be racing in the same grade. I would happily race D grade if they had it, but C is the lowest

Jon

vander

Postby vander » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:35 pm

Thanks for all the info. No D grade should make things really interesting I hope they have it otherwise I think I am going to really struggle.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:52 pm

Good luck for tomorrow chaps. Weather looks dodgy, keep an eye on the NSCC website. I was going to race Landsdowne today but that was called off.

Pedals, MTB pedals will be fine. I don't think you can unclip yourself in a sprint so you should be fine.

Vander, if you are racing Beauie, based on what I have read, you should race C grade. D grade is like juniors, and whilst you are young, you are not that young and if you can win a training sprint with LACC (decides not to make derisory rivalry type comments about the quality of LACC riders) you shouldn’t be in D. To be honest, you would both probably hang on in B.

vander

Postby vander » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:58 pm

ft_critical wrote:Good luck for tomorrow chaps. Weather looks dodgy, keep an eye on the NSCC website. I was going to race Landsdowne today but that was called off.

Pedals, MTB pedals will be fine. I don't think you can unclip yourself in a sprint so you should be fine.

Vander, if you are racing Beauie, based on what I have read, you should race C grade. D grade is like juniors, and whilst you are young, you are not that young and if you can win a training sprint with LACC (decides not to make derisory rivalry type comments about the quality of LACC riders) you shouldn’t be in D. To be honest, you would both probably hang on in B.
I am still learning a lot of stuff would definitely be worried in the quality of riding that would be in B grade. In C grade I think I will struggle enough to hold on (as I do in group rides) and I don't know anything about riding in a race. While I feel comfortable in the training rides from the look of the races I have watched road races seem to be very different.

I only won the sprint cause it was wet and noone was training. While I was stoked I'm not sure anyone else was really trying. I am one of those really competitive types that you seem to be hinting at LACC having lots of.

Also dont want to thread hijack but I should be able to get a day license there tomorrow right?

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:14 pm

vander wrote:
ft_critical wrote:Good luck for tomorrow chaps. Weather looks dodgy, keep an eye on the NSCC website. I was going to race Landsdowne today but that was called off.

I am still learning a lot of stuff would definitely be worried in the quality of riding that would be in B grade. In C grade I think I will struggle enough to hold on (as I do in group rides) and I don't know anything about riding in a race. While I feel comfortable in the training rides from the look of the races I have watched road races seem to be very different.

I only won the sprint cause it was wet and noone was training. While I was stoked I'm not sure anyone else was really trying. I am one of those really competitive types that you seem to be hinting at LACC having lots of.

Also dont want to thread hijack but I should be able to get a day license there tomorrow right?
Thanks ft.

Vander, can' help you there regarding license, but I don't see why that is not possible.

I don't think you will have problems holding on because it is a very very flat course. Its easy to hang on to a wheel on a flat course. Its small rises and sudden accelerations during thoses rises or sudden changes in wind direction that can result in losing that wheel. The course absolutely does not favour me, but I should still get some fun from it.

Jon

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:49 pm

Silk, I'm not sure if you got the the chance to try the MTB shoes out, but I'd agree that they are good enough. I use MTB shoes at the tight and bumpy Heffron circuit and have no real problems with them.

BTW there's racing at Heffron every Saturday.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:06 pm

Chris249 wrote:Silk, I'm not sure if you got the the chance to try the MTB shoes out, but I'd agree that they are good enough. I use MTB shoes at the tight and bumpy Heffron circuit and have no real problems with them.

BTW there's racing at Heffron every Saturday.
Thanks Chris. I had a good time today. I made a few mistakes but I learn. My cornering is pretty poor though. Those u-turns did not do me any favours. Very nervous when I approached them.

Jon