Plastic guard removal ok?

lucifuge

Postby lucifuge » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:21 pm

On my Giant Seek S, I have a Shimano Alfine 45T Octalink crankset. If you observe the pic (below), you will notice a plastic disc acting as a guard/chain channel retainer. Can I remove this, or does it physically need to be retained. It makes cleaning harder and I think it adds to chain slap.

trailgumby

Re: Plastic guard removal ok?

Postby trailgumby » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:32 pm

Chainslap? Are you sure you're using the right term? If you're getting chainslap on a singlespeed, you are doing something dramatically wrong with your chain tension like having 5 or 6 link pairs too many..

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:36 pm

As long as your chain line is straight, removal will have no performance impact.
The outer guard helps to stop trouser legs from getting eaten by the bike. The inner guard is unlikely to do anything.
It is unlikely to do anything for chain slap. On a single speed chain slap should not be happening at all.

lucifuge

Postby lucifuge » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:12 am

Sorry, chainslap was not the correct term. The chain is taut (enough) as it was recently serviced by my LBS. I thought I had noticed a bit of touching but I could be wrong. In any event it would a lot easier to clean if it were there. Can't catch any clothing as i wear knicks to work any, i will try and take it

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:18 am

yeah take it off it's superfluous if you don't wear long pants.

lucifuge

Postby lucifuge » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:23 am

To remove the crankset, do i just need to use an appropriate Allen key in the centre of the crankset....or is it complicated?

...or maybe i should just unscrew it from rear so its loose, then simply break it off ? :roll:

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:11 pm

lucifuge wrote:To remove the crankset, do i just need to use an appropriate Allen key in the centre of the crankset....or is it complicated?

...or maybe i should just unscrew it from rear so its loose, then simply break it off ? :roll:
Crank removal tool is required - after removing the allen key.
Such as: http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/acc ... cp-44.aspx (and this is an expensive one).
EDIT - according to the Giant AUS website, your bike is running an Octalink crankset - which is why I linked the tool above.

However - to remove the plastic guards, just unbolt the chainring. You'll be able to take the guards off without removing the crank.

lucifuge

Postby lucifuge » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 pm

Kenzo wrote:
lucifuge wrote:To remove the crankset, do i just need to use an appropriate Allen key in the centre of the crankset....or is it complicated?

Crank removal tool is required - after removing the allen key.
Such as: http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/acc ... cp-44.aspx (and this is an expensive one).
EDIT - according to the Giant AUS website, your bike is running an Octalink crankset - which is why I linked the tool above.

However - to remove the plastic guards, just unbolt the chainring. You'll be able to take the guards off without removing the crank.
Sorry, i don't understand what you are saying. Can you please elaborate for a noob. Specifically, how do i "just unbolt the chainring"

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:19 pm

OK, you were looking at the central allen key bolt... around it are five more allen key sockets which you can undo. Undo those five and the chainring will come off as will the outer plastic gaurd.
The inner plastic gaurd is probably just held on with some small screws to the chainring.
FYI - the chainring is the ring with the teeth the chain runs on.

lucifuge

Postby lucifuge » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:22 pm

All of that makes sense, and yep i did know what the chainring was lol.

But, while i can loosen the plastic guard no problem at all, i can't see how it will come off given your'e saying the crank will stay on the bike in this process. Its a closed piece of plastic, t wont simply drop off

Kenzo wrote:OK, you were looking at the central allen key bolt... around it are five more allen key sockets which you can undo. Undo those five and the chainring will come off as will the outer plastic gaurd.
The inner plastic gaurd is probably just held on with some small screws to the chainring.
FYI - the chainring is the ring with the teeth the chain runs on.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:24 pm

Wait... there is another issue...

The outer chainring is likely alloy.

The bolts holding the chainring and outer plate are sized for both of these rings.

To remove the outer plate and refit the chainring - you will also need some new chainring bolts. Known as "track chainring bolts" (for Track bikes). These are still quite cheap by the way, so not much to worry about.

Some people just use washers to space out the gap left on the original bolts. Up to you.
lucifuge wrote:But, while i can loosen the plastic guard no problem at all, i can't see how it will come off given your'e saying the crank will stay on the bike in this process. Its a closed piece of plastic, t wont simply drop off
It will.... it will... :)

lucifuge

Postby lucifuge » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:25 pm

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:30 pm

Yep - it will come off no probs.

But I stress - you do have a small issue with the chainring bolts which will need to be addressed before you ride the bike with the guard removed.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:07 pm

If you are sending a S/S bike back to the shop for servicing, maybe you aren't the type to be dismantling other parts.
Just get the shop to remove it and fit new (shorter) cahin ring bolts next time it's serviced.

munga

Postby munga » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:22 pm

yep, 15 minute job for a bike shop.