Shogun Appreciation Society

stumpjumper

Re: Shogun Appreciation Society

Postby stumpjumper » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:13 am

Not happy. Some a-hole stole my old Shogun Samurai by using boltcutters on the cable locking it to a carport post.

Truly, it was the most comfortable road bike I've owned, probably more due to a lucky combination of weights and measurements than to the bike's design, but still. And the best $50 I've ever spent on a bike.

I've notified the cops, pawn shops etc, but I'm not very hopeful.

I'm back on the lookout for another nice old Shogun. If anyone has a spare one, mens medium size frame, any 'grade', any condition which they would consider selling, please email me at: brdadelaide@gmail.com

NotTheStig

Postby NotTheStig » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:01 pm

Hello,

I have a Shogun Prarie Breaker Team Issue. Bought when it was a year or so old in the early '90's. Found it to be a great bike in the day.

Has been used for MTB a bit back then (and one race !) but the onset of various life experiences meant it has been used little in the years since

Always garaged but thinking of selling it now. XT equipped and with Scott bars.

Any ideas on what it is worth ? - and is eBay the best way to sell it ?

Thanks (photos at link below)

http://gallery.me.com/mheeler#100760

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:00 pm

NotTheStig wrote: Any ideas on what it is worth ? - and is eBay the best way to sell it ?
I have Pm'd ya (not sure if you can receive them with only 1 post to your account). If not, contact me via the link below - I have been looking for one f those for a while.

verbs and nouns

Postby verbs and nouns » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:38 pm

My Shogun. I've nicknamed this the "XOX" due to basing it heavily on the Bridgestone XO-1 (and Handsome Cycles already have an XOXO)

Frame: Shogun Alpine GT "XOX"
Wheels: Campagnolo Gamma laced to Suntour
Cranks: Suntour Superbe Pro
Bars / Stem: Nitto Moustache / Nitto Technomic
Bar End Shifter / Derailleur / Cluster: Suntour / Suntour Cyclone / Suntour Winner
Saddle / Seat Post: Brooks B-17 Team Pro / Sugino
Pedals: MKS Road, unknown clips, Christophe straps
Brakes: Tektro CR720 / Dia Compe Aero levers
Tyres: Panaracer Pasela 700 x 32c
Bar Tape: MASH Histogram ('cause I'm still a hipster at heart)
Andy MASH SF wrote:You ride a (brakeless) track bike on the city street because it’s stupid and reckless–and by default: bad-ass.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:30 pm

mark field wrote:
mazabuta wrote:Thx Mark, the upgrade kit for the stem I think is called an A-frame adapter, (that's what the mech at derrico cycles called it anyway) it's basically just a stem quill without the goose neck that the stem than clamps onto. Watch the sizes, I couldn't find one that was large enough for the stem to clamp onto, I could have had one ordered in but I'm an impatient bugger and I ended up making a shim to fill the slack, the next issue was the clamp for the handle bar which are designed to take the newer over-sized tubing so I ended up buying new carbon/alloy bars as well. Not sure where ur located but as I'm in north-west Tassie there wasn't much shopping around to be done. Derrico cycles quoted me $45 just for the stem quill, I picked one up from Lecister cycles after digging around in there bits box for $15 (light weight alloy). I did pick up a cheaper stem than the one in this photo for around $25 which fitted the original bars (still had the same issue with the undersized quill clamp) but it was a gloss black with an odd angle and looked ugly so I used some of my tax return to get the one pictured for around $75.
thanks for the heads up,i might just have a little investigation on fleabay. by the way i grew up in Launceston. was there until 1980. i was even the Tasmanian Lego champ for that year. won a trip to Melbourne for grand final, was on Hey Hey its Saturday, got a kiss from Jackie Macdonald who presented me with a s-load of lego. i cleaned up that year. miss Tassie heaps- the Gorge, Penny Royal, fishing under Batmans bridge, good times. Then moved to Sydney where it just went down hill from there.
best price I could find, works a treat http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/System-EX-St ... 4aae283e71

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:30 pm

I don't suppose anybody has a shogun fork looking for a (large) frame? Got a frame, got no fork. Steerer would need to be pretty long. I think this bike wants the slope-shouldered fork rather than a crowned one but I'm easy.
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding
but really, that's rubbish. We get none of it because the choices are illusory.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:48 pm

Hey Drubie,

I've got a spare unicrown from a Shogun, with a steerer around 205mm from memory. Tange Infinity, about 850 grams.

It's a low profile one with recessed brake holes, and uses a short-reach caliper. It probably needs a coat of paint, because I rattle-canned it black and then I got a 10mm stone chip in it.

Otherwise it's in generally good nick, with no dints.

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:46 pm

rkelsen wrote: Otherwise it's in generally good nick, with no dints.
pm'd
So we get the leaders we deserve and we elect, we get the companies and the products that we ask for, right? And we have to ask for different things. – Paul Gilding

NotTheStig

Postby NotTheStig » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:59 pm

Earlier up I posted a link to a couple of photos of my Prarie Breaker Team Issue.

It is now listed for sale in the marketplace but I just thought I would post a link to a new album of 23 images of the bike in case anyone was interested at having a look at what what state of the art 20 years ago !

http://s1093.photobucket.com/albums/i43 ... estigsdad/

Chazzmos

Postby Chazzmos » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:48 pm

Just finished refurbishing a Shogun Samurai I bought off Gumtree for $160 plus $129 for parts for a grand total of $289.

Many, many thanks to glennb, HappyHumber, and drubie in The Shed. It was the 4th time I've really worked on a bike and my first geared bike, so I needed all the help they gave.

Does anyone know what year this would've been made?

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:08 pm

Gotta be early nineties Chazzmos if it's fitted with RSX - otherwise the date code might be hidden in the serial number.

Here's mine about half way through. Still waiting on wheels, a fork and some bar tape. My overly generous brother in law donated a 10 speed Ultegra group to me the other day and a friend asked to try roadie riding without spending a bomb, so...this is the result:

I don't know too much about Shoguns really, other than I always take 'em home from the tip if they show up. What's the difference between the katana/samurai etc in the later ones, does anybody know?

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:40 pm

drubie wrote:Still waiting on wheels, a fork and some bar tape.
Hey Drubie,

The forks are boxed and ready to go to the post office first thing tomorrow.

Now that I've seen what they're going into, I can't wait for you to get a hold of 'em! 8)

That looks pretty slick. What wheels are you going to put on it?

drubie

Postby drubie » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:29 pm

rkelsen wrote: Now that I've seen what they're going into, I can't wait for you to get a hold of 'em! 8)

That looks pretty slick. What wheels are you going to put on it?
Mate, post the forks when you're ready.
Wheels...I had an arrangement with a guy in town for his old training wheels but it fell through, so I have bought some el-cheapo Alex DA-16 rims laced to shimano 2200 hubs from Reid cycles (there are still a few sets left on ebay). $125 posted including tyres. They won't be the greatest but they will be adequate for this until my mate decides he wants something flasher. I am trying to keep the whole thing under $300 if I can.

Only, the way the the Shogun is shaping up I will be loathe to loan it out. Another Shogun owning friend has challenged me to a Shogun Showdown at our next club crit, so that's my only real deadline. His Samurai (identical to Chazzmos) has been whipping my butt all year and the pilot insists it's because it's a mighty Shogun. We're about to find out whether these frames have some otherworldly magic or not :P

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:42 am

drubie wrote:
rkelsen wrote:Wheels...I had an arrangement with a guy in town for his old training wheels but it fell through, so I have bought some el-cheapo Alex DA-16 rims laced to shimano 2200 hubs from Reid cycles (there are still a few sets left on ebay). $125 posted including tyres. They won't be the greatest but they will be adequate for this until my mate decides he wants something flasher.
Hey drubie, don't be too worried about the Alex rims. In my experience they are actually pretty darn good. A little known secret is that they made all the rims for Velomax and the early Easton wheels - "tough as" in my experience. I think the compromise on those whees would be cheap spokes.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:51 am

drubie wrote:His Samurai (identical to Chazzmos) has been whipping my butt all year and the pilot insists it's because it's a mighty Shogun. We're about to find out whether these frames have some otherworldly magic or not :P
:lol: Just quietly, my money's on the motor...

The forks went to the post office this morning. Good luck in the Shogun Showdown. 8)

drubie

Postby drubie » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:47 pm

rkelsen wrote: :lol: Just quietly, my money's on the motor...

The forks went to the post office this morning. Good luck in the Shogun Showdown. 8)
Yeah, I figure it's the motor too :lol:

Regardless, I've got a good 100km a week of extra secret training planned before November the 5th, I'll have three more gears and a little pride to regain :P

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:46 pm

austy37

Postby austy37 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:53 pm

Velo13 wrote:Shameless plug http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 25&t=46313

Offers welcome.
thats such a nice frame. shae its not a 54cm

Velo13

Postby Velo13 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:00 pm

austy37 wrote:
Velo13 wrote:Shameless plug http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 25&t=46313

Offers welcome.
thats such a nice frame. shae its not a 54cm
Yeah, searched long and hard to find it, but I wish it was a 60!

Hence my avatar.

MoeJoe

Postby MoeJoe » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:32 pm

Chazzmos wrote:Just finished refurbishing a Shogun Samurai I bought off Gumtree for $160 plus $129 for parts for a grand total of $289.
Hey, nice, really nice, I've got one just like that here. If we ever meet up then you know we have to race them. :shock:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 00#p601058
I think early 90's, enjoy it.

mark field

Postby mark field » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:54 pm

Chazzmos wrote:Just finished refurbishing a Shogun Samurai I bought off Gumtree for $160 plus $129 for parts for a grand total of $289.

Many, many thanks to glennb, HappyHumber, and drubie in The Shed. It was the 4th time I've really worked on a bike and my first geared bike, so I needed all the help they gave.

i have a feeling your bike is around same vintage as my 98-99 trailbreaker 2 as the decals and satin paint finish are similar, i know that's prolly not a good way to date a bike, but i feel it in me waters. nice ride though. and im refitting my old Katana as well so i can finally start a build thread :lol: there seems to be a lot of Shogun activity these days with a couple of builds going on. does this mean its game on for the supreme Shogun title? are Shoguns the new black now? :) :)
steel is the real deal.

BLU_FZ!

Postby BLU_FZ! » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:49 am

I think Mark is correct with the 98/99 period.Mine is a 99 and from memory the serial # on the bb shell starts with 99.Flip her upside down and all will be revealed
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee27 ... ure079.jpg
"Him"-You do realize that you now own one of the rarest of all high end Nishikis ever produced?"Me"-But its still a Repco mate

drubie

Shogun Total Overkill

Postby drubie » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:48 am

from this (although, all this ultegra gear is now on a Gitane frame that I have given to a mate)
The Gitane was a good bike but it was just a fraction too small for me and I'm just not a fan of the Shimano shifters.

Of course, it's raining buckets here so I haven't had a chance to ride it. I received a fork from rkelson for this bike but the steerer was unfortunately 15mm too short. I ended up ordering a fork from cyclingdeal.com.au which finally showed up this week - it looks more-or-less like the correct fork, but it's a little straighter / more angled than the original. Still looks OK i.e. you'd have to know before you picked it as wrong. The welding isn't as good on the fork as the frame but I had little choice and the fork was only $40 or so posted so I'm happy.

Not sure which model Shogun it is - seatpost was 26.8 so I assume it isn't anything fantastic, but the dropouts are good and overall it's a typical welded shogun i.e. nicely made. The glossy black paint has seen better days but it looks very purposeful with all the carbon centaur stuff and the token cranks. The old WIN bars are a bit shabby but you can't see 'em under the tape anyway. Can't wait to ride it!

rkelsen

Re: Shogun Total Overkill

Postby rkelsen » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:10 pm

drubie wrote:I received a fork from rkelson for this bike but the steerer was unfortunately 15mm too short.
Aww man. :( I was wondering how things were going. I hate problems like that.

I'm happy to buy the fork back if you haven't got a use for it.

mark field

Postby mark field » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:01 pm

looking forward to seeing the finished product and getting the low down on its performance.
steel is the real deal.