This tent is made for camping...

Baalzamon

Re: This tent is made for camping...

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:51 pm

polishbiker wrote:i have been using tarptent scarp2 in my tour so far and its a great kit, highly recommended, very spavious and definitely 4 season.
Mind was standing upto to 48kph winds in Norseman. Damn sand tho.....
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:30 pm

Just received my Exped Venus 2 tent from Moontrail. Ordered an Exped Synmat with it, and got another Synmat and half a dozen MSR Groundhog tentpegs for free through their bonus points scheme. $618 for the tent, two Synmats and pegs :D

Great tent! On tour with friends last week and two of the group had exactly the same tent, and another was planning to order one. Looks like it is becoming the club standard tent :lol:

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:44 pm

il padrone wrote:Just received my Exped Venus 2 tent from Moontrail.
Great price and looks great too!
I wish my tent was green - like I am with envy :mrgreen:
When I got my tent years ago the choices were bright yellow or purple
I went with the purple as the yellow was too much... :(
Fine if you wanted to be spotted by rescuers but not if you were looking
for a bit of privacy.
I did manage to get a green bivibag though and I've managed to get away with sleeping in some
interesting places. :wink:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:40 pm

And it looks like it would stop the sand getting in the tent from high winds as well. Thinking about my tent again now :roll:

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:46 pm

il padrone wrote:Just received my Exped Venus 2 tent from Moontrail. Ordered an Exped Synmat with it, and got another Synmat and half a dozen MSR Groundhog tentpegs for free through their bonus points scheme. $618 for the tent, two Synmats and pegs :D
Which Synmats did you get? I am really impressed with the Synmat SL 7. Funny thing was the price here in Australia killed the US price. Nice change :)

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:47 pm

Baalzamon wrote:And it looks like it would stop the sand getting in the tent from high winds as well. Thinking about my tent again now :roll:
Do you want to sell it :)

Andrew

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:57 pm

Aushiker wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:And it looks like it would stop the sand getting in the tent from high winds as well. Thinking about my tent again now :roll:
Do you want to sell it :)

Andrew
Considering :) Gotta get it up and dust it out, still has dust in it from Norseman :roll: And need to see how clean it will come as dirt sticks to it quite easily.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:09 am

Aushiker wrote:Which Synmats did you get? I am really impressed with the Synmat SL 7. Funny thing was the price here in Australia killed the US price. Nice change :)
They are the Synmat 7M, for $US119. That total price I mentioned did not include the shipping which was another $US127, but still OK for the total package. The Synmats on their own in Australia would total about $300, the Venus 2 about $580-$630.
Last edited by il padrone on Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:17 am

il padrone wrote:They are the Synmat 7M, for $US119. .
I paid $108 with free delivery for Synmat from http://Mainpeak.com.au. Looks like they don't sell the model you got.

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:34 am

Yes, closest thing is the Synmat UL 7M for $130. It's no doubt lighter but has a lower R-value (insulation warmth).
Mandatory helmet law?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:50 am

Baalzamon wrote:Considering :) Gotta get it up and dust it out, still has dust in it from Norseman :roll: And need to see how clean it will come as dirt sticks to it quite easily.
Well I am interested if you decide to sell.

Andrew

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:03 am

This tent is also mad for camping...
It may look like a van, and it may have exactly the same size, but it is at tent.. :wink:

The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:47 pm

damhooligan wrote:This tent is also mad for camping...
It may look like a van, and it may have exactly the same size, but it is at tent.. :wink:
Just needs the obligatory clouds of pot smoke coming out the cracked windows like a
Cheech & Chong movie :wink:

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:08 pm

I am still torn between the Helleberg Akto and Nallo 2 GT. After I do Perth-Adelaide next "winter" I will do the Iceland Ring Road and N-to-S in both Ireland and the UK. Then ... Both tents have their +/-. The 1 kg difference is not that much of an issue as my newest touring bike is lighter than my current 40 lbs arvon1...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:09 pm

Hi Stuart

Thanks for the look at the Scarp 2. I just jumped online and took a quick look at Big Sky International and see they have a new tent out, a Mirage. The design looks like it might help with the dust problem.

and I have the early version of the Evolution which again has more of tub ..

Andrew

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:52 pm

I already have an Exped Vela 2 but wanted something a bit simpler to put up so bought an Orion today, $400 including a free Exped footprint/delivery. Plan to use this more for hiking though...

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:36 pm

Aushiker wrote:and I have the early version of the Evolution which again has more of tub ..
How is the quality of the Big Sky products? They look kinda cheap in the pictures. The Mirage 2P is very light for a two-person tent, but explicitly not recommended for high-humidy areas - suggesting that condensation is a likely issue.

I'm drawn more toward this design with two crossing poles than the Tarptent Scarp 2 with the extra poles. It's still not my preferred design, as I'd rather have the vestibules supported by poles, not just pegged out. But the Hilleberg Allak and the WE Dove 2 are the only tents I've found that offer such a design. Both are on the heavy side at around 3kg.

BTW - the Tarpent Scarp 2 is offered with both mesh and solid inner tent and extra poles as a $165 option. According to the FAQ "The solid interior is warmer and better for environments with blowing dust or cold winds. The mesh interior is better suited for warm/hot and humid environments." Sounds like it's an option worth considering.

Perhaps the solid inner can also be purchased separately?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:05 pm

RonK wrote:The Mirage 2P is very light for a two-person tent, but explicitly not recommended for high-humidy areas - suggesting that condensation is a likely issue.
Yes ... the amount of solid material will reduce ventilation.

They look kinda cheap in the pictures because of the nature of the materials used ... they are lightweight tents and so tend to have that look to those not familiar with the materials (some of the video reviews just amaze when they comment about how flimsy lightweight tents look and/or how concerned they etc. If they have have no idea about what they are doing with these sorts of tents don't review them or buy much heavier tents :roll: ). There are enough reports and experiences around the place to indicate that the strength is there if sown properly etc. Other than splitting the carbon poles I started out with mine is still going now for about four to five years of pretty reasonable use. I am not nice with my gear either.

Oh unless the way the interior is connected to the fly with the Mirage, this claim "Quick setup and take down, only a minute or so from bag to setup when interior is left attached to the outer shell" is rather dubious. Actually reading the blurb it seems that this is a claim no longer made about the Evolution so maybe the Revolution design is better and it will work.

I think the pole technology has moved on quite a bit since I got mine and there are better and lighter aluminium poles out now which I would choose over carbon ones. I am just not that convinced given the price vs weight of them. The Revolution worked out at around $487 US at 1.8 kg when I configured it. On the other hand the way they are sold makes it much better to specify it the way you want it.

Edit: The floor on the Revolution is very slippery ... will need to stripe it with seam sealer to try and get some grip.

The Tarptent Scarp need to been seam-sealed by the buyer and this needs to be done properly as part of strengthening the tie-out points. The vestibules on the Scarp are seriously small ... not much gear would go in them and not much protection from the rain if you want to cook in them (yes I know the risks). For some good ideas/review of a Scarp, Robin at Blogpackinglight is a worth a read.

With regards to the "solid" inner, it has netting on the top half of the sides, but other is solid material. It makes the tent warmer as it is really designed for winter snow use (reduce the ingress of spindrift).

I am still up in the air about this .. way to much reading and no buying decision. I am seriously considering a Big Agnes fly Creek UL2 but the vestibule is again quite small, there is the only on entrance and the vestibule does not provide much shelter getting in and out in the rain. Also one has to sleep with one's head at the door end. On the positive side it weighs around 1.3 kg with the footprint and is quite roomy. Maybe be possible to rig up a bit of a tarp to extend the functionality of vestibule for not much more weight if it is a bit issue in winter. Price for the combo is US$378 ex Amazon. Oh no outer pitch first but.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:10 pm

Hi

One for those interested in the Tarptent Scarp. There is now an owner's forum at Outdoor Magic.

Robin of Blogpackinglight has a heap of photos of the Scarp here.

Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:46 pm

Aushiker wrote:The Tarptent Scarp need to been seam-sealed by the buyer and this needs to be done properly as part of strengthening the tie-out points. The vestibules on the Scarp are seriously small ... not much gear would go in them and not much protection from the rain if you want to cook in them (yes I know the risks). For some good ideas/review of a Scarp, Robin at Blogpackinglight is a worth a read.
I'm surprised how small it looks inside with Robin's gear laid out. And jeez, it's years since I last had to seam-seal a tent. Despite its apparent virtues I'm not sure I'd buy one.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:02 pm

RonK wrote:
Aushiker wrote:The Tarptent Scarp need to been seam-sealed by the buyer and this needs to be done properly as part of strengthening the tie-out points. The vestibules on the Scarp are seriously small ... not much gear would go in them and not much protection from the rain if you want to cook in them (yes I know the risks). For some good ideas/review of a Scarp, Robin at Blogpackinglight is a worth a read.
I'm surprised how small it looks inside with Robin's gear laid out. And jeez, it's years since I last had to seam-seal a tent. Despite its apparent virtues I'm not sure I'd buy one.
Hence I have the Scarp2 which is plenty spacious and I got my front panniers, rear panniers, ortlieb rack pack medium bag all into the vestibule. Still had space inside as well and I didn't have the issue of head clearance at all, I was able to crouch in the tent or sit upright and still have inches to spare and I'm 6" tall.

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:15 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Hence I have the Scarp2 which is plenty spacious and I got my front panniers, rear panniers, ortlieb rack pack medium bag all into the vestibule. Still had space inside as well and I didn't have the issue of head clearance at all, I was able to crouch in the tent or sit upright and still have inches to spare and I'm 6" tall.
Ah, that makes more sense - I didn't pick up that it is the 1P model. Too bad it let the dust in...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:30 pm

RonK wrote:
Robin has the Scarp 1. That is a pretty roomy single person tent IMO.

Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:34 pm

Thanks for the post with pics and link Andrew. :D
Hmmmmm I wonder if its the perspective gleaned from the pics that does indeed make it look a little snug :?:
I still havnt gotten my minaret out of the bag for a check yet despite saying I'd get onto it
many posts ago.
The weathers been a bit wet in my neck of the woods and I've been a bit flat of mood of late.
I'll have to rewrite my "to do list" and re-prioritise a few items.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:48 pm

RonK wrote:
Baalzamon wrote:Hence I have the Scarp2 which is plenty spacious and I got my front panniers, rear panniers, ortlieb rack pack medium bag all into the vestibule. Still had space inside as well and I didn't have the issue of head clearance at all, I was able to crouch in the tent or sit upright and still have inches to spare and I'm 6" tall.
Ah, that makes more sense - I didn't pick up that it is the 1P model. Too bad it let the dust in...
I should have got the fabric inside instead of mesh. But it was from a bad campsite....