Brisbane to Gold Coast 2011

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:54 am

Drunkmonkey wrote:Spotted a guy tonight at a bike shop buying a bike and full kit (including clipless pedals) so he could ride on Sunday - he has never ridden a bike before :shock:

According to the bike shop its quite common for people to buy a bike for the first time right before a big charity ride, but they usually purchase the bike the day before the ride :shock:
he must be able to ride a bike ? maybe it's his first road bike .
what happens if he falls and takes out other people will he be liable?

Drunkmonkey

Re: Brisbane to Gold Coast 2011

Postby Drunkmonkey » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:36 pm

themerlin wrote:
Drunkmonkey wrote:Spotted a guy tonight at a bike shop buying a bike and full kit (including clipless pedals) so he could ride on Sunday - he has never ridden a bike before :shock:

According to the bike shop its quite common for people to buy a bike for the first time right before a big charity ride, but they usually purchase the bike the day before the ride :shock:
No he has never ridden a bike before - I heard it come straight out of his mouth, first bike ever :shock:

Everyone who enters signs a disclaimer exempting the organisers from liability, ride at your own risk etc - good reason to have BQ membership just for the insurance imo.

Im just imagining this guy flying down the busway trying to clip in the whole way :lol:

colaiacw

Postby colaiacw » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:55 pm

What are these people thinking? Never ridden a bike and think they can ride 100km!!! This can make life difficult for all experienced riders.
Perhaps after 20km they will be on the sag wagon and rethink the situation. :?

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:54 pm

Drunkmonkey wrote:
themerlin wrote:

No he has never ridden a bike before - I heard it come straight out of his mouth, first bike ever :shock:

Everyone who enters signs a disclaimer exempting the organisers from liability, ride at your own risk etc - good reason to have BQ membership just for the insurance imo.

Im just imagining this guy flying down the busway trying to clip in the whole way :lol:
contender for a Darwin award!

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:40 pm

Newbie on a new road bike with a new seat for 100km - I pity the guy's butt cheeks... you know what I mean :)

hosko

Postby hosko » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:08 pm

Just PRAY he relegated himself to the slowest group. PRAY!!!

SAG Wagon contender if not a Darwin award.

The Maxxis Refuses will be coming off for this one. 2 Michelin Pro Race 3's on their way and should be at my house by Friday. Should cut down some rolling resistance :)
2013 Malvern Star Oppy Di2

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:09 pm

If anyone is looking for a group to hop on the back of
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 50#p684614

Good news re weather. The long range rain forecast for Sunday has continued to improve, despite rain tomorrow, Sat, and Monday :o

ezzy

Postby ezzy » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:21 pm

Drunkmonkey wrote:
themerlin wrote:

Bike shop probably sold him clip on bars as well so watch out for them too

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:24 pm

Just a heads up for the ride on Sunday,

Sonic Cycles at Springwood are apparently opening up early for anyone who may need a restock of tubes, gels etc....

Sonic are on the Western side of the highway at Springwood, the ride goes right past their front door, on the service road between the lights at Park Rd and before Rowland Street. Look for the Sonic blue and white VW van parked out the front!

Not sure if the coffee machine will be fired up too early though :wink:
Lisa

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:06 pm

marinmomma wrote:Sonic are on the Western side of the highway at Springwood, the ride goes right past their front door, on the service road between the lights at Park Rd and before Rowland Street. Look for the Sonic blue and white VW van parked out the front!
thanks. just put it in my GPS, in case we're after a tube/tire/whatever in a hurry.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:28 pm

winstonw wrote:If anyone is looking for a group to hop on the back of
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 50#p684614
I'll keep an eye out for that group. Looks like i'll be going solo up and back now, as my intended accomplice is just looking for excuses to bail.
I'll be on on a Ti with deep carbon wheels.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:44 pm

Crawf wrote:I'll keep an eye out for that group. Looks like i'll be going solo up and back now, as my intended accomplice is just looking for excuses to bail.
I'll be on on a Ti with deep carbon wheels.
Most will have this kit http://www.ascotcatering.com.au/news
And if you are inclined, you can meet us at the north end of Goodwill Bridge between 4.45 and 5am.
Most will be cycling in from Nundah, while some of us will meet them at the north end of bridge.

akima13

Postby akima13 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:08 pm

the grid wrote:I have access to two blue tickets (20-25 kph not that it matters as the train gets in and they let you ride straight away ~0600h0 with second train from varsity ? 450am if anyone interested $50 each ...PM me
if these are still available i know a couple of girls interested in doing the event. i cant pm people yet but if you pm me a number il ring you back. cheers. phil

the grid

Postby the grid » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:10 pm

the grid wrote:I have access to two blue tickets (20-25 kph not that it matters as the train gets in and they let you ride straight away ~0600h0 with second train from varsity ? 450am if anyone interested $50 each ...PM me
All gone thanks for helping me offload.

akima13

Postby akima13 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:14 pm

hey everyone,

if there's anyone who has paid their rego and Isn't going now and wants to sell their spots in the b2gc ride this sunday, i have a couple of friends that would like to go. please pm me your contact details and IL get back to you asap. cheers :D

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:14 pm

This sounds more like a music festival than a bike ride :) . I wana see LOTS of pics from everyone afterwards so i know what i missed!
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:58 am

Dunno about anyone else... but I'm pretty glad we're riding tomorrow... not this morning. :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:

Hamster

Postby Hamster » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:45 am

Comedian wrote:Dunno about anyone else... but I'm pretty glad we're riding tomorrow... not this morning. :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:
I have to agree and Pierre is also pleased :) :wink: :)
It would not be at all strange if history came to the conclusion that the perfection of the bicycle was the greatest achievement of the nineteenth century.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:24 am

Hamster wrote:I have to agree and Pierre is also pleased :) :wink: :)
Yeah, Trevor, I mean Tre'vor, is happy too. :)

I've been watching the long range rain forecast for 10 days, and what has transpired has been a bit of a miracle.
Initially, Sunday had a very high P(rain) but in the last 6 days, that has gone down to nothing; while Fri, Sat, and Mon are up for heaps still. It's like a little window of dry opened up especially for the ride :)

I had honestly planned pretty concretely to do something else on the day, because I didn't think a clear Sunday would hold.

AND!!!! the other thing is the reason for no rain Sunday!!!
http://www.bom.gov.au/qld/forecasts/seboating.shtml
"Sunday: Winds: W/SW 10/15 knots during the morning, shifting N/NE during the
afternoon and night."
If there's any wind at all before 8am, it'll have a nice bit of tail in it. Quite unseasonal :D :D

And for those riding back, might pay to wait until after 1030-1100 when the wind usually swings, though at best it might be a cross wind as opposed to a head. when you look at the 9am October wind rose for Brisbane, it's apparent head winds are more common at this time.
http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/climate/c ... lector.cgi

Anyway, I still think the event should be brought forward into Aug or Sep which have the lowest monthyl rainfalls.

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:59 am

Another wind forecast looks good ! http://www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/qld.asp

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:01 pm

winstonw wrote:
Hamster wrote:I have to agree and Pierre is also pleased :) :wink: :)

Anyway, I still think the event should be brought forward into Aug or Sep which have the lowest monthyl rainfalls.

Might have something todo with the bus way, the event would have to start later because it's dark so the bus way would be closed later.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:12 pm

winstonw wrote: "Sunday: Winds: W/SW 10/15 knots during the morning, shifting N/NE during the
afternoon and night."
If there's any wind at all before 8am, it'll have a nice bit of tail in it. Quite unseasonal :D :D
W/SW will be a cross to head wind for the trip down.
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

themerlin

Postby themerlin » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:08 pm

ozdavo wrote:
winstonw wrote: "Sunday: Winds: W/SW 10/15 knots during the morning, shifting N/NE during the
afternoon and night."
s/w is blowing from the south west

Waza

Postby Waza » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:21 pm

Comedian wrote:Dunno about anyone else... but I'm pretty glad we're riding tomorrow... not this morning. :shock: :shock: :mrgreen:
yeah this morning was crazy. our group ride started really well. beautiful weather. the when we turned around all hell broke loose and mother nature let go. was wild. :shock:
tomorrow, cant wait though.
2011 Giant Defy 2
2011 EMC Equip 1.7
+ Girl friends EMC 2.2FEM

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:42 pm

themerlin wrote:
ozdavo wrote:
afternoon and night."
s/w is blowing from the south west
Yes, so will be more head than tail wind
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area