Point Cook to Altona route

footloose

Point Cook to Altona route

Postby footloose » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:42 pm

Wallaby asked in another thread about a route that avoids the risky Point Cook - Central Avenue roundabout.
I prefer to avoid Point Cook Road for most of its length because of the narrowness of the road and the heavy traffic flow.
The route I will describe uses quiet streets and the better sections of the bike path, avoiding the rough bitumen sections of the Skeleton Creek bike path.
If your starting point is from the intersection of Dunnings Rd and Point Cook Rd, on the eastern side of Point Cook Rd, there is a good quality shared path running from the Point Cook Rd - Sanctuary Lakes Boulevard roundabout.
From Dunnings Rd. cross to enter the bike path and cycle north to Homestead Run and turn right.
Continue on to Village Green and turn right into Andrew Chirnside Avenue and then left into Truganina Ave. and follow it around. Note that it turns left just beyond the Kindergarten and then right, watch for the street signs.
Follow it down to the end where there is a pedestrian path through the fence at the end of the avenue.
Pass through this gap and turn right at Scenic Drive, the road just in front of you as you pass through the fence.
Follow this road until you reach the roundabout at Sanctuary Lakes North Boulevard.
Turn left at the boulevard and follow it down.
The boulevard is narrow but the path on the opposite side of the road is a shared path that I prefer to use.
Continue along the boulevard until you reach the roundabout just before the lake and then turn left into Sanctuary Lakes East Boulevard.
Follow this down until you reach Beach Walk and turn left.
This will bring you to the bike path where the bridge crosses the end of the large lake area of Skeleton Waterholes Creek at the weir.
After the bridge take the first turn to the right on the bike path and follow through to Altona and onto Williamstown.

Dunnings Rd - Homestead Run google map link

http://g.co/maps/9tauf

Scenic Drive - Beach Walk google map link

http://g.co/maps/jzt65

Dunnings Rd - Homestead Run Photomap from Nearmap link

http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-37.885744,1 ... d=20110820

Scenic Drive - Beach Walk Photomap from Nearmap link

http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-37.891908,1 ... d=20110820

Note: The bike path on the western side of the creek does not reach the bridge, it is also a granitic sand track and is a little rough.
Note: Skeleton Creek and Skeleton Waterholes Creek are one and the same, it depends which map you are looking at!

The bike path across the Skeleton Creek can also be accessed by entering Sanctuary Lakes Boulevard and turning left onto Sanctuary Lakes North Boulevard, useful if you are coming from Werribee via Sneydes Rd or coming from Werribee South. It loops to the north and then back around to the south but please don't attempt to cut across the golf course. There is no direct path (don't ask me how I know) and apparently it annoys the Lakes golf staff!
Caution: The Sneydes Road overpass over the Princes Highway is very narrow. I walk the bike over walking on the dirt verge rather than riding over. I have ridden over it but practically all cars will cross the double lines to pass you. If the car passing you swerves to avoid an oncoming car, you will be in a very dangerous position!
It will not matter one iota that you are in the right and the car is in the wrong!

Please excuse the long winded directions but I've suffered from inadequate directions myself and didn't want to make the same mistake! : )

damhooligan

Re: Point Cook to Altona route

Postby damhooligan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:49 pm

I get what you are trying to do, but it is very complicated...
I know I have been there a few times... :D

Here is an easier way... :
If you are at dunnings, go back a bit til you get to lennon boulevard, take this all the way to jamison way.
(jamison way also connect easily to boardwalk boulevard via palmer av).
Then go straight over the roundabout and cross point cook road. (this is the only 'bad bit')
Then just follow sanctuary lakes boulevard to the end.

This save you going trough all the little side streets...

But if you wanna do this, there is another way to connect this one is also easier, and not gates... ;
Takeas you mentioned homestead run, but go left onto andrew chimside followed by right onto seabrook boulevard.
On seabrook boulevard, there is a connection to the bike path (around street number 51)
Once on the path you take a left and a right and you wil see a bridge, cross that and go right, (if you don't go right and cross the bridge , it wil take you to point cook road...)
this wil also connect to the same path you take if you travel via sanctuary lakes.

Just my 2c...

Hope it helps. :wink:
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:59 pm

footloose wrote: The bike path across the Skeleton Creek can also be accessed by entering Sanctuary Lakes Boulevard and turning left onto Sanctuary Lakes North Boulevard, useful if you are coming from Werribee via Sneydes Rd or coming from Werribee South. It loops to the north and then back around to the south but please don't attempt to cut across the golf course. There is no direct path (don't ask me how I know) and apparently it annoys the Lakes golf staff!
I have also been on the golf course,on my bike... I like exploring... :mrgreen:
And I can confirm, no connections...

footloose wrote:
Caution: The Sneydes Road overpass over the Princes Highway is very narrow. I walk the bike over walking on the dirt verge rather than riding over. I have ridden over it but practically all cars will cross the double lines to pass you. If the car passing you swerves to avoid an oncoming car, you will be in a very dangerous position!
It will not matter one iota that you are in the right and the car is in the wrong!
You walk the overpass :shock:

I'm incilned to say that is the worse thing you can do seeing there is hardly room to walk...
I assume you mean this one ; http://maps.google.com/?ll=-37.900393,1 ... 21&layer=c.

If so, you are way better of riding, and claim the lane !!!
I never had any issue there at all, drivers that are behind me, they simply wait.
They have no choice. :twisted:

Either that or take the long way via hoppers lane... :lol:

But walking??, not an option, that is bad advice.
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

footloose

Postby footloose » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:50 am

footloose wrote:
You walk the overpass :shock:

I'm incilned to say that is the worse thing you can do seeing there is hardly room to walk...
I assume you mean this one ; http://maps.google.com/?ll=-37.900393,1 ... 21&layer=c.

If so, you are way better of riding, and claim the lane !!!
I never had any issue there at all, drivers that are behind me, they simply wait.
They have no choice. :twisted:

Either that or take the long way via hoppers lane... :lol:

But walking??, not an option, that is bad advice.[/quote]

I appreciate what you are saying but I have ridden over the bridge claiming the lane only to have a car come over the brow of the bridge to find me just on the other side travelling much slower than what they are! Relying on a driver to look far enough ahead to see me as I travel up the bridge to know I am on the other side is not what I would call the best thing. Walking as I do on the dirt verge with the bike wheels literally in the gutter seems to me to be the best way to do it. You say that if you claim the lane they have to wait but I have seen other riders claiming the lane only to see the car overtake completely in the opposite lane on the uphill side of the bridge! It's a really lousy route and I have avoided it in the past by using Hoppers Lane to Duncans Rd to enter Werribee but it is impractical to say the least.
I regularly ride to Werribee to have lunch and often follow the river track down to the mansion and back along K Rd to Duncans Rd and Hoppers Lane avoiding the overpass.
I did write the post with the idea in mind that riders unfamiliar with the area could use my directions. Others, familiar with the area such as yourself would probably have a very good idea of the risks with some of the roads in the area and would not need to heed them.
This is why the directions are as complete as I thought necessary. I have the time to explore but others wanting to "broaden their horizons" would at least have some idea of the areas probably best avoided.
As it happens, I have just lost another long post with detailed directions as to how to travel from Point Cook Rd.along the Skeleton Creek path to Werribee that you may well have found too long but again, I was attempting to write for those unfamiliar with the area. As it was, I took so long that my login timed out and I lost the whole thing! : (
I must remember in future to click on the preview button occasionally to keep my login alive!

footloose

Postby footloose » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:20 am

damhooligan wrote:I get what you are trying to do, but it is very complicated...
I know I have been there a few times... :D

Here is an easier way... :
If you are at dunnings, go back a bit til you get to lennon boulevard, take this all the way to jamison way.
(jamison way also connect easily to boardwalk boulevard via palmer av).
Then go straight over the roundabout and cross point cook road. (this is the only 'bad bit')
Then just follow sanctuary lakes boulevard to the end.

This save you going trough all the little side streets...
I know that route well, I like to ride along the path there and check out the water between Jamison and Hemsly Promenade but the reason I described the route as I did is because Wallaby mentioned that he wanted to avoid the rough bitumen section along the creek and Point Cook Rd.
I also provided links to maps and photomaps so that readers could see for themselves the route that I was describing.
for you and I and perhaps others that are quite familiar with the area, the route that you have described would be just as easy but if you are on Dunnings Rd, then your route is longer.
Assuming that one starts from around the Dunning Rd area, particularly from the western or even from the northern side, then my experience is that it's not a bad way to go.
But if you wanna do this, there is another way to connect this one is also easier, and not gates... ;
Takeas you mentioned homestead run, but go left onto andrew chimside followed by right onto seabrook boulevard.
On seabrook boulevard, there is a connection to the bike path (around street number 51)
Once on the path you take a left and a right and you wil see a bridge, cross that and go right, (if you don't go right and cross the bridge , it wil take you to point cook road...)
this wil also connect to the same path you take if you travel via sanctuary lakes.

Just my 2c...

Hope it helps. :wink:
But that route does not avoid the rough bitumen section that bothers Wallaby. I like it and find it an attractive way to go but one does have to travel slowly at times as there are walkers and dogs along that section. Not a big deal perhaps but the route through Sanctuary Lakes avoids those areas and is quite attractive in itself.
Perhaps I should point out that I live in Altona Meadows and I'm very familiar with the area having travelled roads and tracks that have sometimes been very unkind to the bike. I am guilty of taking short cuts or should I say exploring the market garden tracks between some roads in Werribee Sth for instance. Give people a wave as you slowly pass and they don't seem to mind!
Whichever way you go, to see and encourage more bike travel through the area is the best way in my mind to have car drivers become used to and give more room and courtesy to bike riders.

Have you been down the Werribee River track and onto the Werribee Mansion yet?

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:21 am

footloose wrote: As it happens, I have just lost another long post with detailed directions as to how to travel from Point Cook Rd.along the Skeleton Creek path to Werribee that you may well have found too long but again, I was attempting to write for those unfamiliar with the area. As it was, I took so long that my login timed out and I lost the whole thing! : (
I must remember in future to click on the preview button occasionally to keep my login alive!
There is also a save draft option at the bottom next to previeuw .
Or type it on a seperate program, like word, and copy and past it back into the post.

footloose wrote: I appreciate what you are saying but I have ridden over the bridge claiming the lane only to have a car come over the brow of the bridge to find me just on the other side travelling much slower than what they are! Relying on a driver to look far enough ahead to see me as I travel up the bridge to know I am on the other side is not what I would call the best thing. Walking as I do on the dirt verge with the bike wheels literally in the gutter seems to me to be the best way to do it. You say that if you claim the lane they have to wait but I have seen other riders claiming the lane only to see the car overtake completely in the opposite lane on the uphill side of the bridge! It's a really lousy route and I have avoided it in the past by using Hoppers Lane to Duncans Rd to enter Werribee but it is impractical to say the least.
I regularly ride to Werribee to have lunch and often follow the river track down to the mansion and back along K Rd to Duncans Rd and Hoppers Lane avoiding the overpass.
I did write the post with the idea in mind that riders unfamiliar with the area could use my directions. Others, familiar with the area such as yourself would probably have a very good idea of the risks with some of the roads in the area and would not need to heed them.
This is why the directions are as complete as I thought necessary. I have the time to explore but others wanting to "broaden their horizons" would at least have some idea of the areas probably best avoided.
I understand what you are saying.

Mayby you have had more bad luck then me. :(

When I am climbing I take the lane, when I am on top, i go over to the left to give room to cars, this seems to work for me.
As for cars overtaking uphil on the other side :shock:
I have little sympathie for them crashing, just hope they don't injure the driver of the oncoming car...

Another option instead of hoppers lane, is the other way.
Assuming you travel from point cook, via boardwalk and forsyth onto fed trail.
Also not practical, but it is stil better then walking on an overpass.
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

footloose

Postby footloose » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:28 am

For others reading the preceding posts, I've buggered up the quoting a little and gotten a little out of sequence.
My excuse is that it is late and I am a little tired.
I hope you can follow damhooligan's comments and my replies without becoming too confused!

w00dsy

Postby w00dsy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:09 pm

footloose wrote: I regularly ride to Werribee to have lunch and often follow the river track down to the mansion and back along K Rd to Duncans Rd and Hoppers Lane avoiding the overpass.

this line has got my interest, which river track is it that takes you to the Mansion? Is it the path that is on this map that looks like it goes from the underpass? http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-37.921248,1 ... d=20110407
I was just wondering where that path on the other side of the river went too, i might have to try it out.

speedhump

Postby speedhump » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:00 pm

Not sure if this helps here because I am a bit lost myself. But this is the route I took from Werribee to Fed Square for the Cadelabration, it goes via Sanctuary Lakes and avoids Pt Cook Rd, I too, hate riding up that way and the roundabout where you turn right near Maccas, way too risky.
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/46770500

wallaby

Postby wallaby » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:57 pm

Thanks guys for starting this thread, it has given me so many more options about riding in the area than what I previously knew, given that I was just simple ole car-faring folk until recently. Now that I'm riding again, its given me a whole new perspective about how to get around the area.

Thank god Hobsons Bay seem to have decent bike paths because Pt Cook is notoriously bad with footpaths/shared paths just ending suddenly because a development hasn't yet been finalised - I'm sick to death of finding out the hard way, that a path has no actual destination :roll:

I had my first decent ride today, out to Seaholme and I went via the bike path through the Cheetham Wetlands - really nice ride, except for the damn headwind! Thank goodness it wasn't a side wind as it was really quite strong, poor me riding at 15km/h and as soon as a I turned a corner, straight back up to near 30km/h - so much nicer without the wind! Although I dare say that that route would have to be windy 95% of the time wouldn't it??
I went via the bike path from Boardwalk Boulevard up to Pt Cook Road, I crossed over Pt Cook Road and didn't use that bitumen section that is in awful nick, but instead I turned down Seabrook Boulevard and followed that around until I saw the path that comes up from Sanctuary Lakes, rode over that short bit of granitic sand and crossed the skeleton creek bridge to get to the Cheetham Wetland bike path.
It was a nice ride back on Queen St, the left onto Point Cook Road (very very bumpy, will not be doing that again anytime soon!) and attempted turning right on Dunnings Rd, when I finally experienced my first slow speed fall, - damn shoes!!!! No damage done, and was never in any danger, just a very bruised pride! :oops: I had a wonderful driver ask me if I was OK, I was sooo embarassed. I thought I'd clipped out when to my astonishment, I hadn't.
Anyway, I'm sure it'll be the first of many. So it was a day of milestones for me, good and bad! :D
but the reason I described the route as I did is because Wallaby mentioned that he wanted to avoid the rough bitumen section along the creek and Point Cook Rd.
hehehehehe, on a side note, this wallaby is a She-wallaby! 8)
Kym
2012 Giant Avail 1 (black and white, not pink!)

w00dsy

Postby w00dsy » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:43 pm

don't worry about clip falls, everyone does it. It just gets less frequent. My first ride in them i went about 10kms and pulled up at the train lines in Werribee while everyone in every direction was waiting for the trains to clear. I rode up to the boom gates and completely forgot i had them on. I went to pull my foot off and all i ended up doing was pulling myself over onto the road. I figured everyone saw, so i just got up and got back on the bike and never looked behind me to see who was laughing. Then when the gates went up i took off like a cartoon cat before they could ridicule me as they whizzed by :D

footloose

Postby footloose » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:38 am

There is also a save draft option at the bottom next to previeuw .
Or type it on a seperate program, like word, and copy and past it back into the post.

I guess most of the posts are relatively short and one doesn't consider the log out time but I did become quite engrossed in researching and writing. When I realised that the system had logged me out, I did what I have done in the past and went back a couple of pages but the post had disappeared this time : (
I've done as you suggested and used a text application for long (winded) posts before, I just got carried away last night.

I understand what you are saying.

Mayby you have had more bad luck then me. :(

When I am climbing I take the lane, when I am on top, i go over to the left to give room to cars, this seems to work for me.
As for cars overtaking uphil on the other side :shock:
I have little sympathie for them crashing, just hope they don't injure the driver of the oncoming car...

Another option instead of hoppers lane, is the other way.
Assuming you travel from point cook, via boardwalk and forsyth onto fed trail.
Also not practical, but it is stil better then walking on an overpass.[/quote]

I'm more concerned about myself and the poor driver coming the other way but no matter who is in the right or wrong, I just don't want it to happen. I walk the bridge because there is a safe clearance between me and the passing car, I would not use the bridge at all if I did not feel comfortable at least walking.
I've used the Forsyth Rd bridge a number of times, my lost post described that route, again in detail for those who do not know the area. As I have indicated earlier, you and probably most that live and ride in the area would not need such detailed instructions and might even have better ideas. If you do, please consider sharing them in detail, with maps, so that riders from out of the area can get the best idea of how to travel.

footloose

Postby footloose » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:40 am

wallaby wrote: hehehehehe, on a side note, this wallaby is a She-wallaby! 8)
Just as well you told us, I've never been able to catch a wallaby to check for myself!

footloose

Postby footloose » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:44 am

w00dsy wrote:
footloose wrote: I regularly ride to Werribee to have lunch and often follow the river track down to the mansion and back along K Rd to Duncans Rd and Hoppers Lane avoiding the overpass.

this line has got my interest, which river track is it that takes you to the Mansion? Is it the path that is on this map that looks like it goes from the underpass? http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-37.921248,1 ... d=20110407
I was just wondering where that path on the other side of the river went too, i might have to try it out.
I'll sit down and do one of my long winded directions posts and describe how I use the route. But not tonight.
If you would like to indicate the area that you are coming from, perhaps I can incorporate it into the post.