Welcome To WestCycle

roller

Welcome To WestCycle

Postby roller » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:56 pm

just received this in my inbox, thought it might interest a few BNA WA forumers. . . .

~~~~~~~~~
Welcome to WestCycle
A new era for cycling in Western Australia

Western Australia’s new, peak cycling body, WestCycle, was announced by the Minister for Sport and Recreation, Terry Waldron, on 2 September 2011.

WestCycle was formed following extensive consultation, resulting in the 2010 report, Developing a Community of Cycling in WA. The report found a new, over-­‐arching peak cycling body would be best placed to ensure an integrated approach to cycling in WA and ensure human and financial resources were maximised.

The full report is available at:

http://dsr.wa.gov.au/developing-a-community-of-cycling

The WestCycle Board comprises four independent members and three members who represent competitive, recreation and transport cyclists.

The current board is:
Craig Smith-Gander, Chair
Dr Fiona Wood
Neil Hackett
SuziTaylor
Paul Lavery
Rod Annear

WestCycle Chair Craig Smith-­Gander said Board members were excited about supporting and growing all forms of cycling.

“Cycling is a wonderful whole-of-life activity and has the potential to have positive impacts on the lives of West Australians at many levels,” Mr Smith-Gander said. “In sport, recreation and transportation we hope to give cycling a greater presence and demonstrate the many opportunities and benefits associated with all types of cycling.” The following key cycling bodies have joined WestCycle as foundation members:

Cycling WA;
BMX WA;
Australian Time Trail Association;
Bicycle Transportation Alliance;
WA Mountain Bike Association
Bicycle User Groups (BUG).

Mr Smith-Gander said cycling had a rich history in WA. “Board members understand the important past and ongoing commitment and contribution existing WA cycling organisations make,” he said. “WestCycle can only be successful by partnering with and supporting the excellent work already done by a broad range of groups who represent the more then 255,000 cyclists in WA.” While WestCycle is less than a month old, the board is moving quickly to address its key objectives:

1. act as the interface between the cycling community and government;

2. increase and promote the development of cycling activities throughout Western Australia;

3. produce a strategic plan, in conjunction with members and stakeholders, for the activity of cycling in Western Australia;

4. Source funding for the achievement of specific outcomes within the strategic plan;

5. on behalf of/or in partnership with members, undertake relevant projects to benefit the cycling community;

6. advocate cycling in Western Australia and the interests of all cyclists across the competitive, recreational and transport activityareas;

7. facilitate communication and coordination withinthe ycling community;

8. communicate and advocate to government agencies, otherlocal agencies and the public; and

9. establish relationships with external partners to support thedelivery of all Association objectives.

During the next few months WestCycle will continue to engage with cycling groups and begin developing a strategic plan for cycling in WA. “We hope to represent all cyclists and cycling disciplines to grow a supportive culture anda real community of cycling in WA,” Mr Smith-­‐Gander said.

For more information about WestCycle email westcycle.wa@gmail.com.

~~~~~~~~

note: the report link didn't work for me directly but i edited the address bar and got there in the end.
inflammatory statement or idea

stealthbike

Re: Welcome To WestCycle

Postby stealthbike » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:24 pm

This seems like a really positive initiative. I hope the various cycling bodies can put aside any politics and support this initiative. :)
2010 Specialized Roubaix Elite - Black
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results" - Winston Churchill

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:06 pm

“Cycling is a wonderful whole-of-life activity and has the potential to have positive impacts on the lives of West Australians at many levels,” Mr Smith-Gander said. “In sport, recreation and transportation we hope to give cycling a greater presence and demonstrate the many opportunities and benefits associated with all types of cycling.” The following key cycling bodies have joined WestCycle as foundation members:

Cycling WA;
BMX WA;
Australian Time Trail Association;
Bicycle Transportation Alliance;
WA Mountain Bike Association
Bicycle User Groups (BUG).
Where is Bicycling WA in the above list? Bicycling WA's website indicates 'BICYCLING WESTERN AUSTRALIA IS THE LARGEST ORGANISATION IN WA REPRESENTING ALL BIKE RIDERS INCLUDING KIDS, COMMUTERS, SOCIAL, SPORT AND RECREATION CYCLISTS!' so why wouldn't they be part of WestCycle?

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:55 pm

Just a stab in the dark Roland... (and I'm sure you know it playing devil's advocate)
...maybe BWA are too busy representing riders to funnel $200k out of state revenue to sit on a board or justify its existence?
Ivory + Tower

The last sentence on BWA's About Us page may explain it also:
Everything we do is aimed to directly benefit our members. If you have any suggestions on how we can help improve bike riding in your area, please contact us.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:34 pm

eldavo wrote:Just a stab in the dark Roland... (and I'm sure you know it playing devil's advocate)
...maybe BWA are too busy representing riders to funnel $200k out of state revenue to sit on a board or justify its existence?
If they are actually engaging in advocacy I would love to know what they are doing? Care to enlighten us?

I am still deciding whether to join or not and frankly claims on websites don't do it for me ... I want to see real action/outcomes.

Oh not being on the new board is pretty stupid in my view if they are serious about representation. :wink:

Andrew

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:21 pm

The other groups aren't voting members of the board, they're founding members of WestCycle.
I think my Dad is a founding member of the West Coast Eagles ;)

You don't really need to do much to exceed what the government has achieved in 2 years:
a) commissioning a report that decides a new layer of govenrment is needed to get things done (justify its new spending)
b) creating a new government board with the new spending
c) in parallel creating a future city plan without any of those pesky difficulties of committing to funding anything
?) achieving... ?

2 years and a few hundred thousand dollars of taxes spent. Reminds me of the great Neale Fong http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neale_Fong

stealthbike

Postby stealthbike » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:06 pm

The vast majority of cyclists do not belong to any organization. I believe this new body was set up to better represent all cyclists, so it should be a good thing.
2010 Specialized Roubaix Elite - Black
"However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results" - Winston Churchill

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:34 pm

I'm usually optimistic too, but government seems to suck the life from me and leave me despondent.

cyclegirl88

Postby cyclegirl88 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:57 pm

BWA don't recieve State funding, or any Government funding.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:58 am

eldavo wrote:Just a stab in the dark Roland... (and I'm sure you know it playing devil's advocate)
Ivory + Tower

The last sentence on BWA's About Us page may explain it also:
Everything we do is aimed to directly benefit our members. If you have any suggestions on how we can help improve bike riding in your area, please contact us.
I'm confused with the various bodies apparently representing our interests and I know nothing of the politics behind them all. However Roland's question to me seems to need an answer. Indeed it was on my lips before I came across Roland's question.

So, what is the reason? I could not glean anything from your response except that maybe you are holding some agenda of your own without stating it. Or maybe someone else's agenda as you are playing devil's advocate.

Seriously, why not BWA?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:15 am

You know this thread is 18 months old? So is bwa on board or not now?
cyclegirl88 wrote:BWA don't recieve State funding, or any Government funding.
Cyclegirl88 their annual report for 2010 shows $81k in sponsorship which comes from several government bodies. Here is a list of their sponsors.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:20 am

I dunno, if anyone is a member they could point BWA to this thread and ask them to respond?

My agenda is to commute safely past the intersections and path decay and new hazards local councils put up by accident or design. This week the CoShtirling contractors leaving concrete based fence posts dug up alongside path at Karrinyup Rd. (near freeway fixed speed.camera location) for vandals to lay out after school for peak hour path traffic to hit. Grey post on grey concrete, guy in front of me nearly designed a new face for himself.

Fortunately the LGA campaign tells me with a portion of your and my rates that they keep us running so their negligence that has killed two people I know (a motorcyclist and cyclist) is ok and I should appreciate them more than I do. Hard to be rosy peace and free love about this.

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:38 am

eldavo wrote: This week the CoShtirling contractors leaving concrete based fence posts dug up alongside path at Karrinyup Rd.
Trying not to move off topic, but this is main roads. Please contact them with your concerns, I did earlier this week and still in discussion with what is being installed, more cheese grate fencing. I was also concerned about the left over posts, but more concerned with another 10-15 years of this type of fence given it is cm's away from the path.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:44 am

Roger, just noticed your Sig on the off topic, link is down?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:54 am

eldavo wrote:I dunno, if anyone is a member they could point BWA to this thread and ask them to respond?
They have a Facebook page ... easy enough to ask there :)

Andrew

cyclegirl88

Postby cyclegirl88 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:06 pm

rolandp wrote:You know this thread is 18 months old? So is bwa on board or not now?
Cyclegirl88 their annual report for 2010 shows $81k in sponsorship which comes from several government bodies. Here is a list of their sponsors.
Not directly from the Government like Cycling WA though is it?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:28 pm

cyclegirl88 wrote:
rolandp wrote:You know this thread is 18 months old? So is bwa on board or not now?
Not directly from the Government like Cycling WA though is it?
Really? So how is Cycling WA provided public funds then and how is this different from Bicycling WA? I am sure the Auditor General might be interested as well.

Andrew

fixed

Postby fixed » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:45 pm

BWA acknowledge government agency support for their programs, speaking with Jeremey Murray on Sunday morning at the UCWT event his BRIGHT yellow BWA polo shirt had a large government agency logo prominently displayed, so they have no issues with accessing and acknowledging Government funding.
BTA and the other member groups hope that the continuing hard work of the Westcycle CEO and Board will encourage BWA into the Westcycle tent.

CWA WAMBA and BMX WA receive organisational support programme funds from Department of Sport and Recreation, this has never been hidden. Part of the eagerness of those peak representative groups to support Westcycle is the OSP funding is to go directly to Westcycle to get all representative groups working together for all aspects of cycling.
Westcycle Strategic Plan is out there somewhere, cannot find a link just at the moment.
cyclegirl88 wrote: Not directly from the Government like Cycling WA though is it?
What's your definition of 'directly' cyclegirl88? And I would appreciate any comment you have to make.
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:17 pm

fixed wrote:Westcycle Strategic Plan is out there somewhere, cannot find a link just at the moment.
Mr Convenor you can find it here :)

Andrew

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:44 pm

The WestCycle Annual Report has been published. The surplus from last year plus grants received this year means that they have over $500K in cash available.
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:56 am

CycleSnail wrote:The WestCycle Annual Report has been published. The surplus from last year plus grants received this year means that they have over $500K in cash available.
SInce I was bored, I have written up a bit of a analysis/commentary on where Westcycle has been and is heading. I would suggest Westcycle has done quite well in its first year but it does need to get some balance/ensure it focuses on its members (crtiical point) in going forward. For example advocacy needs some loving to go with the excellent work achieved so far on the recreational side.

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CycleSnail

Postby CycleSnail » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:27 pm

Aushiker wrote:
CycleSnail wrote:The WestCycle Annual Report has been published. The surplus from last year plus grants received this year means that they have over $500K in cash available.
SInce I was bored, I have written up a bit of a analysis/commentary on where Westcycle has been and is heading. I would suggest Westcycle has done quite well in its first year but it does not need to get some balance/ensure it focuses on its members (crtiical point) in going forward. For example advocacy needs some loving to go with the excellent work achieved so far on the recreational side.

Andrew

Thanks, Andrew, for this interesting analysis for those who find annual reports a bit dry :!:
Support high quality cycling advocacy!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:12 pm

CycleSnail wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
SInce I was bored, I have written up a bit of a analysis/commentary on where Westcycle has been and is heading. I would suggest Westcycle has done quite well in its first year but it does not need to get some balance/ensure it focuses on its members (crtiical point) in going forward. For example advocacy needs some loving to go with the excellent work achieved so far on the recreational side.

Andrew

Thanks, Andrew, for this interesting analysis for those who find annual reports a bit dry :!:
Thanks.

Andrew