Magpie spotting Spring 2011

Ross

Re: Magpie spotting Spring 2011

Postby Ross » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:52 pm

twizzle wrote:Got attacked by that fecker in the s-bends on Mt McDonald (Brindabella Road) - in the middle of a race, he was going nuts attacking every pack, and got me in the back. :evil:
I met him this morning, he tapped my helmet then came back and tried to land on my back/shoulders! I think he was trying to carry me off.

thomas_cho

Postby thomas_cho » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:33 pm

How does one stay calm during a magpie visit?

Do you guys picture a happy place in your head and go to it?

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:11 pm

Ross wrote:
twizzle wrote:Got attacked by that fecker in the s-bends on Mt McDonald (Brindabella Road) - in the middle of a race, he was going nuts attacking every pack, and got me in the back. :evil:
I met him this morning, he tapped my helmet then came back and tried to land on my back/shoulders! I think he was trying to carry me off.
He doesn't like frame pumps. :twisted: All I had to do was hold it up and he flew off.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:13 pm

thomas_cho wrote:How does one stay calm during a magpie visit?

Do you guys picture a happy place in your head and go to it?
No, they scare the bejezzus out of me! But on my regular 50km daily rides (to work & back) I don't get swooped at all, although if I go too slowly on one downhill section I'll cop it twice.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:10 pm

I just ignore them. Most of the time they just bounce off/tap the helmet a couple of times and then get bored and fly away. They usually only have a territory of a few hundred metres so if you keep riding at a steady pace you'll soon be out of their area. The more you react back the more agressive toward you they become. The one yesterday that tried to carry me off was a bit disconcerting though!

aldifan

Postby aldifan » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:12 pm

Just got swooped by a pair outside of St Peter & Paul primary on Wisdom st. Hughes, usually only the male swoops.
One of them managed to knock the sun visor off my helmet!! :o

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:55 pm

Any swoopers out towards Lake George? Was planning a ride out that way tomorrow.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:22 pm

I know in previous years there was one opposite where bendora riding school is/was. You'd come roaring on down the hill and he'd chase you for what seemed a mile. And he'd connect. Its been since last summer that I've gone that way so i don't know if he's still there.

stu

Postby stu » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:36 pm

We did the Uriarra loop from Weston shops last week & got swooped by 5 maggies
I got swooped 4 out of those 5.
The one at the top of Mt Macdonald is an angry bugger
Fact of Life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says W T F.

bpmhigh

Postby bpmhigh » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:12 pm

The angriest one I've encountered this season is on Drakeford Drive heading both north and south past Greenway.

First time he got me he landed on my back. Every time since I sit up and look for him but he still manages to come out of nowhere. The one time I did see him he flew from the other side of Drakeford, across 4 lanes and a wide median strip before circling around behind and chasing me for about 500 metres.

Interesting however that about a month ago, there were two close together on the bike path going north up Athlon Drive past the Wanniassa shops but they have since disappeared. I thought to my self at the time "I'll be surprised if they see out the spring" - I used to live close by and the neighbourhood is renowned for bored young locals who typically destroy anything that attracts their attention.

I'm down south tomorrow for Orroral, Apollo and Corin so I'm hoping that my angry Drakeford friend is sleeping in when I roll past!

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:34 am

Did Lake George this morning and only got a half arsed attempt by one at the car park entry. Nice ride, though.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:12 am

small tap from the one on the S bends near Mt MacDonald this morning, nothing to bad. The one in between the T-junction and Uriarra crossing was vicious though. Luckily me and my mate had a tail wind and were flying along but the poor guy going the other way took numerous hits.
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:51 pm

bpmhigh wrote:The angriest one I've encountered this season is on Drakeford Drive heading both north and south past Greenway.

First time he got me he landed on my back. Every time since I sit up and look for him but he still manages to come out of nowhere. The one time I did see him he flew from the other side of Drakeford, across 4 lanes and a wide median strip before circling around behind and chasing me for about 500 metres.
I got swooped by this one today. He had four decent introductions to my helmet and then got bored and flew away.

auskonrad

Postby auskonrad » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:25 pm

One right at the end of Old Fed Hwy, where you can either go down to the rest stop or come to the intersection with New Federal Highway. Persistent bugger that one.

One at Jerrabomberra wetlands bike path/far western end of lake bike path loop - kept my eyes on him, and then as I looked ahead, a brown snake sun bathing! Massive swerve - and over-correction led to me eating bike path. Massive stack. But luckily no broken bones. Just severely bruised and cut up. Managed to limp home barely with a bloody arm. Thanks to James on a red Merida who rode with me for a tiny bit to make sure I was okay.