This tent is made for camping...

Aushiker

Re: This tent is made for camping...

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:05 am

Hi

From Henry Shires (Tarptent) ..

The solid interior is warmer and better for environments with blowing dust or cold winds. The mesh interior is better suited for warm/hot and humid environments

I guess you need to decide how often you will be exposed to dusty wind blown/cold wind conditions to warrant the solid interior. I know for me in the south-west, the mesh is fine; up north it may be an issue now and then but I suspect I will be okay with mesh 99% of the time.

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:34 am

Hi

Scarp 2 ...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCGp9MVD ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

This is by Franco who is the Tarptent rep in Australia. He is in Melbourne IIRC.

Andrew

Max

Postby Max » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:12 am

That video made me giggle. The bit where he was pouring a pretend drink reminded me of kids tea parties. Sorry, I guess small things amuse small minds :lol:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:38 am

Max wrote:That video made me giggle. The bit where he was pouring a pretend drink reminded me of kids tea parties.
Careful Max... you might upset the sensibilities of these serious gear hounds.
It's a spiritual ethos; Life isn't about the destination, nor the journey but all about the travel accessories.

*running for cover.... * ;)
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Max

Postby Max » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:58 pm

Actually, I'm following this thread with interest. My mum and I have decided that when I get long service leave in 2013, we'll be doing a 3-4 week tour of Tasmania. So I'm doing a bunch of research on all things touring. Bikes, tents, sleeping bags, mats, stoves, panniers, racks, lights.. the list goes on and on. Actually, I've started a little blog (http://maximumbiketouring.wordpress.com) that mum and I are using to collate the results of our research. It's pretty bare now, but we're adding more and more to it as the days pass. It's actually quite exciting to do all this research with a long-term goal in mind :D

And if we throw a tea party or two in whichever tent we buy... I'll be sure to post all about it :mrgreen:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:20 pm

Hi

Franco has been playing with his Scarp tent again. Another thrilling video for your viewing pleasure :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrxAASKe ... ploademail[/youtube]

Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:16 pm

Hi

Another option for someone looking for more of a group or family but light tent ...

The Nemo Pentalite strikes a nice balance between functionality, size, features, weight, and value. For groups of four to five (if you don't mind being cozy) looking for a well ventilated floorless shelter, the Pentalite is worth consideration. For groups of four looking for a lightweight shelter that provides full bug protection, the Pentalite with optional wedge is one of the lightest available. If Nemo were able to reduce the weight of the center pole and put a tie-out on the long side of the wedge to prevent it from sliding around, we would consider bumping this up to a Highly Recommended rating.

More details at Backpacking Light.

Andrew

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:30 pm

An online subscription ("Premium Membership") is required to view this article?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:49 pm

Wingnut wrote:An online subscription ("Premium Membership") is required to view this article?
Yes or I think you can buy access to individual articles.

Andrew

Max

Postby Max » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:59 am

I've just received a nice big parcel from Amazon, containing an Exped Venus III tent, a footprint for same, two Exped DownMat 7s and two Lonely Planet cycling guides (Australia and NZ). $900AUD shipped (it arrived in four days!). As much as I wanted to support local businesses, I just couldn't justify the extra $300-$500 (depending on where you shop) to do it. Despite Exped's proclamation that their overseas resellers will not ship to a country that has a local distributor, Amazon didn't have a problem with it.

I considered a number of tents. In the end, I decided on the Venus III because it's free-standing, has plenty of room for me and my mum and our stuff, and it's four-season. It's a touch heavy by touring standards (4Kg), but I'm OK with that. Mum and I can divide the load of the tent and other stuff so neither of us is too burdened. If I ever decide I want to go solo touring, I'll either suffer the weight or get myself a smaller, lighter tent. For now, this suits our needs.

I'll be setting it up in the back yard this weekend. Pictures will be taken and posted here for your viewing pleasure :)

Max

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:20 am

Max wrote:I've just received a nice big parcel from Amazon, containing an Exped Venus III tent, a footprint for same, two Exped DownMat 7s and two Lonely Planet cycling guides (Australia and NZ).
It's huge Max - it's like the Taj Mahal. 3 pole tents are a little bit heavier, but I like that the vestibules are formed by the poles and are not simply pegged out flaps. It should be very comfortable for two people and gear on an extended tour. So, what bits will Mum be carrying? :lol:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Max

Postby Max » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:36 am

RonK wrote:So, what bits will Mum be carrying? :lol:
If she has her way, nothing! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm thinking she'll carry the sleeping bags and sleeping mats (with the rest of our gear split evenly between us). We'll see, though. I'm happy to be the pack horse if she has trouble with the load.

Max

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:25 am

Max wrote:If I ever decide I want to go solo touring, I'll either suffer the weight or get myself a smaller, lighter tent. For now, this suits our needs.
If you do want a tent for solo touring, the Exped Vela 1 is a great little tent - good space for one person, light weight (1.8kg) and a very spacious vestibule. I used it fr a 9 week tour last year and loved it.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:02 pm

il padrone wrote:
Max wrote:If I ever decide I want to go solo touring, I'll either suffer the weight or get myself a smaller, lighter tent. For now, this suits our needs.
If you do want a tent for solo touring, the Exped Vela 1 is a great little tent - good space for one person, light weight (1.8kg) and a very spacious vestibule. I used it fr a 9 week tour last year and loved it.
And I'm selling my Exped Vela 1 due to getting a Tarptent Scarp 2. Unsure where to advertise it currently as it's an ultralight weight tent and I think unsuitable for ebay.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Max

Postby Max » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:18 am

Mum and I set up the Exped Venus III tent in the back yard yesterday. Here are some very quick photos of the process. I think we have a bit more learning to do :lol:

Max

m@

Postby m@ » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:55 am

Baalzamon wrote:
il padrone wrote:
And I'm selling my Exped Vela 1 due to getting a Tarptent Scarp 2. Unsure where to advertise it currently as it's an ultralight weight tent and I think unsuitable for ebay.
Here would be a good place to start: http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=13 - though you might find it easier to shift the Scarp ;)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:19 am

m@ wrote:Here would be a good place to start: http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=13 - though you might find it easier to shift the Scarp ;)
And I wouldn't insult them by describing the Vela as "ultralight" either unless you want to cop flak :)

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:59 am

I just came back from Canada and brought a Nallo 2GT, a MSR whisperlite and a MEC mummy bag good to -12C. Now that "winter camping season" is here it is time to try them out. For the Australian trip next June-August from Perth to Sydney I have decided not to use my Hennessy Hammock - no trees in places, my SVEA stove - want to try a stove with a pump, and my North Face mummy bag - not warm enough on my last tour (Adelaide - Broken Hill - Wentworth - Sydney. My boys are also bringing me a dry bag for the mummy bag.. Just some idle musings as I read this thread :)

Max

Postby Max » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:00 pm

I've posted some first impressions of the Venus III here. No new photos, but a bit of text to round it all out. I'm pretty happy with our first crack at setting the tent up. With a bit of practice, I think we'll get the knack for it. The tent itself meets all expectations with respect to space and features. I'm looking forward to actually using it :D

Max

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:20 pm

tmac100 wrote: For the Australian trip next June-August from Perth to Sydney I have decided not to use my Hennessy Hammock - no trees in places, my SVEA stove - want to try a stove with a pump, a. Just some idle musings as I read this thread :)
Pretty sure you can add a pump to a Svea - I cant get my head together tonight but I'm sure I read that the pump that fits
on the 8R also fits the Svea.
I'll have to look into it and get back to you.
However I will point out the obvious that a pump is only something else to break down. :idea:
I'm a big Optimus fan with a 111C. With the easy availability of white spirits and shellite here in Aus I've
been toying with the idea of an 8R or Svea as a low maintenence and low weight alternative to the 111C. :D
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:27 pm

Max wrote:I've posted some first impressions of the Venus III here. No new photos, but a bit of text to round it all out. I'm pretty happy with our first crack at setting the tent up.
Max wrote:The user manual should consist of more than a half-A4 printed sheet!
To be fair to Exped, I doubt that any tent manufacturer includes more than this. Tents don't normally come with a manual, just basic pitching instructions, IME. Usually the assembly is fairly self-explanatory, with a logical outlook on it. Exped generally make it easier than most tents (colour-coded poles and sleeves, all accessories included, easy to tighten tension straps, 'one-pitch' tent and fly etc.).
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

tmac100

Postby tmac100 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:38 am

I agree the SVEA can take a pump, but ... I could NOT resist getting the used Whisperlite Int'l (AT) $40 Canadian. Just to continue with my "MSR fetish" I just got a slightly used Dragonfly for a total (with shipping) of $107 CAD. My "ex" still has our original International somewhere - maybe the boys can find it and claim it back in Canada when they visit with her. My sons will bring the Dragonfly when we meet in N.Africa in about a month.

The SVEA worked fine on both bike tours in Australia. So did the Hennessy. I am now 63 and want to experiment more with my equipment - no not that equipment! I mean my touring equipment. I really crave comfort now and thus want the Nallo for those places where there are no trees, and where the wind and rain are 'hideous" like in Iceland and maybe Ireland.. The Hennessy would be problematic in WA and Iceland where there are few/no trees :cry:

Simplicity is great, but I'll just risk the pump :D A pump with the SVEA and a pump with the MSR still can both go "bad". Mind you, the SVEA works fine without the pump. The chuf-chuf-chuf on startup on a cool morning boilup is a delightful sound to welcome another day of adventure. Mind you the hiss of the MSR is a different kind of welcoming sound. The SVEA is a part of a Swiss-made camping unit that has a pot, frypan two windscreens and a pot holder. cannot remember who made it, but I bought it used 6 years ago on ebay specifically for bike touring. I got it instead of the Tranga alcohol burner that we used in my rock-climbing days.

I want to expoeriment with the Dragonfly because with 2 valves it allows for simmering as well as blast furnace heating. I seem to remember that the boilup was faster with the MSR than with the SVEA.

No mattter, there is lots of Shellite available in Australia. If I can buy it in Borroloola and Domadgee, I can buy it anywhere :P

Max

Postby Max » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:42 am

il padrone wrote:
Max wrote:I've posted some first impressions of the Venus III here. No new photos, but a bit of text to round it all out. I'm pretty happy with our first crack at setting the tent up.
Max wrote:The user manual should consist of more than a half-A4 printed sheet!
To be fair to Exped, I doubt that any tent manufacturer includes more than this. Tents don't normally come with a manual, just basic pitching instructions, IME. Usually the assembly is fairly self-explanatory, with a logical outlook on it. Exped generally make it easier than most tents (colour-coded poles and sleeves, all accessories included, easy to tighten tension straps, 'one-pitch' tent and fly etc.).
IP, there is some truth to this. Perhaps Exped expect their customers to know all this stuff, but we didn't. I would've settled for two pages! I've owned tents before and they all came with more than a pamphlet.

All of that said, I'm a happy camper (pun intended). Even with our limited use of it, I sense that it's a good fit for our needs. A big thanks to everyone here for their suggestions and tips :)

Max

GJ_Coop

Postby GJ_Coop » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:36 am

tmac100 wrote: No mattter, there is lots of Shellite available in Australia. If I can buy it in Borroloola and Domadgee, I can buy it anywhere :P
Not quite true. Shellite has pretty much disappeared from many of the camping shops and other places you used to be able to buy it, at least in WA out of the big cities.

I've switched to unleaded petrol which is quite a bit smokier but otherwise is a much cheaper replacement for my Whisperlite international. At least you can get that anywhere.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:33 am

Hi

A Tarptent Double Rainbow has come up onBushwalk Australia for sale. Unless you are using trekking poles (not likely on a bike) this is not a free-standing tent but still a pretty lightweight two person tent. The seller is asking $240 for it.

Regards
'Andrew