Panniers

RonK

Re: Panniers

Postby RonK » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:34 pm

Aushiker wrote:Well I am not sure how they are stitching me up given I pay no transaction fees and the exchange rate is good. There are enough good reports here for me to go with them. If you don't like it, so be it, I will continue to enjoy the savings :)
GE Money like to operate at the lower end of the market where they can gouge people who would otherwise have difficulty obtaining credit. That probably explains why some 28 Degrees reviewers complained about being offered low credit limits despite being eminently creditworthy - GE Money doesn't really want customers who can afford to pay off their credit card in full each month. In the US, GE Money is one of the biggest lenders for sub-prime mortgages, and controversially received a $140b bailout during the recent GFC. GE Money's bad business practices can easily be confirmed by a just few moments of Googling.

So when I see GE Money offering a credit product with terms that seem too good to be true my suspicious are aroused, and I wonder what the catch is - there will be one.

But forewarned is forearmed so I hope it all goes well for you...
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:55 pm

RonK wrote: So when I see GE Money offering a credit product with terms that seem too good to be true my suspicious are aroused, and I wonder what the catch is - there will be one.

But forewarned is forearmed so I hope it all goes well for you...
Always good to have a friendly warning to be wary - Like I said,
"They're nothing but a bunch of bankers" :wink:
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:22 pm

rifraf wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:[
I will let you know how it goes I gave the card a bashing today and ordered the panniers plus other crap as usual. When I went to checkout the box was marked priority but I removed that and went back to standard shipping as past purchases arrived in under 7 days anyway. This was never automated before it was up to you to make that choice but now they do it for you hoping you miss it and gain a few more clams out of you. I know that shipping and product to those that pay the extra coin to get the priority get first dibs on stock but never have I had to wait.

DHL won't get a cent from me if it come down to it but we will see in around a weeks time :D
Hi Ricky
Yeah I untick the priority box as well.
Do keep us updated on how you get on.
The invoice from DHL arrived about a week - week and a half after the initial parcel came.
Cheers
Aidan
Pannier Package arrived today that is under 5 days including weekends and time difference to the UK so all in all again I'm impressed with delivery and product coming out of the UK. Will wait and see if DHL sends an invoice later.

Ricky

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:12 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:
Pannier Package arrived today that is under 5 days including weekends and time difference to the UK so all in all again I'm impressed with delivery and product coming out of the UK. Will wait and see if DHL sends an invoice later.

Ricky
Pics of panniers on the Bent or it didnt happen :D

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:59 pm

rifraf wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:

Ricky
Pics of panniers on the Bent or it didnt happen :D
:D

Got to wait for my new rack to turn up first from fleabay so rather than modify my old rack/modify old panniers to make either fit I decided to buy all new. Trouble with that is I got some fabricating to do on the new rack because I know that the mounting points will not work right on my bent but I knew that to start with just one more job I have to do that I really didn't want to be bothered with at this stage so them the breaks I guess. 200 clams worth of chain lube turned up today as well so I won't be needing any of that for a little while now.

Might place an order for a "Ortlieb Rack Pack Travel Bag" so has anyone got one and find it useful dropped over the top of the panniers on the rear rack? either that or I was going to buy a set of "Ortlieb Front Roller Classic Panniers" and mount one of the two on top of the rack and over the top of the panniers as that will also suit my needs.

Ricky

RonK

Postby RonK » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:04 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Might place an order for a "Ortlieb Rack Pack Travel Bag" so has anyone got one and find it useful dropped over the top of the panniers on the rear rack?
Yeah, I have one. I don't like it much, it is heavy and stiff, and hard to roll down the top. I don't use it anymore - instead I use an Alpkit Gourdon as my multi-purpose rack bag, backpack, shopping bag and cabin luggage bag. When used as a rack bag, at a pinch the 20L model accommodates my sleeping bag mat and tent. For side trips it has two pockets for my bidons and a shock cord attachment. If your gear is bulky you will probably need a larger one.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:33 pm

RonK wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Might place an order for a "Ortlieb Rack Pack Travel Bag" so has anyone got one and find it useful dropped over the top of the panniers on the rear rack?
Yeah, I have one. I don't like it much, it is heavy and stiff, and hard to roll down the top. I don't use it anymore - instead I use an Alpkit Gourdon as my multi-purpose rack bag, backpack, shopping bag and cabin luggage bag. When used as a rack bag, at a pinch the 20L model accommodates my sleeping bag mat and tent. For side trips it has two pockets for my bidons and a shock cord attachment. If your gear is bulky you will probably need a larger one.
Thanks Ron for the link I will look into it and the 20L would be ample big enough for my needs as well. You mentioned it being heavy but I only see about 100g between the two, the one your using now is the lighter one compared to the Ortlieb or am I missing something here?

Ricky

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:44 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Thanks Ron for the link I will look into it and the 20L would be ample big enough for my needs as well. You mentioned it being heavy but I only see about 100g between the two, the one your using now is the lighter one compared to the Ortlieb or am I missing something here?
Yes, quite right Ricky - I've never actually compared the weight of the two so it's very much a subjective assessment. I do find the vinyl bags rather stiff and unwieldy to roll down which is why I use the Roller Plus panniers - they are much more supple. The main appeal of the Gourdon is it multi-purpose usefulness that has allowed me to eliminate carrying another folding backpack from my load. My tours all involve air travel and the Gourdon helps me to minimise excess baggage charges by loading it up with heavier items to carry as cabin luggage. I wear the Gourdon as a backpack and carry a rear pannier and handlebar bag. It's about as much as I can handle to get through airport security checks.

The Gourdon is secured to the rear rack with a motorcycle bungy cargo net, and it's the nice bright Jaffa colour so I can also leave behind the hi-vis tailgate I had to put on the black Ortlieb rack pack.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:38 pm

RonK wrote:
The Gourdon is secured to the rear rack with a motorcycle bungy cargo net, and it's the nice bright Jaffa colour so I can also leave behind the hi-vis tailgate I had to put on the black Ortlieb rack pack.
Ah mine is yellow so stands out more. It worked quite well on my tour and TNT liked the way my bike looked as it looked neater. Besides I was wearing a hi vis vest as well to increase drivers awareness and it works.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:09 am

Cheers Ron I have no issues with the stiffness as I have found over a short time rolling those down that section becomes pliable/supple. As you have pointed out your pack has many uses but for me most of that wouldn't get used as I have no use for the pack pack harness which I understand can be removed anyway. Now I just got to work out if I want to stuff things in or dump in from the top having a larger opening as that will be the main selling point for me after looking both over. Again thanks for the link and another alternative it's given me more options to think about along with use as your current bag has more versatility for other applications.

Ricky

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:48 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Cheers Ron I have no issues with the stiffness as I have found over a short time rolling those down that section becomes pliable/supple. As you have pointed out your pack has many uses but for me most of that wouldn't get used as I have no use for the pack pack harness which I understand can be removed anyway. Now I just got to work out if I want to stuff things in or dump in from the top having a larger opening as that will be the main selling point for me after looking both over. Again thanks for the link and another alternative it's given me more options to think about along with use as your current bag has more versatility for other applications.

Ricky
I actually found it a pain to open up the pannier when it was mounted. It was easier to open up my front panniers, the rack top bag is held down with 4 clips.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:24 pm

BZ I'm not sure that would be an issue with me as the panniers are in most cases only used when I get set up at base camp so there all going to be off the bike until I retire for the night. The rack pack however or similar will be used during the day and will be opened during my travels. I also have tubes which carry items of need or easy access so I'm pretty covered there or one bag on the trailer that gets daily use allot.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:41 pm

The rack pack has clips to the rear panniers so they have to be taking off and 2 more clips so there are 4 clips that have to be undone compared to 2 on the front.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:53 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:I have no use for the pack pack harness which I understand can be removed anyway.
No, the harness is not removable. If you have no need a multi-purpose bag then a ordinary dry bag or the Ortlieb are the way to go.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:31 pm

RonK wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:I have no use for the pack pack harness which I understand can be removed anyway.
No, the harness is not removable. If you have no need a multi-purpose bag then a ordinary dry bag or the Ortlieb are the way to go.
Ok Ron I took the feature list "Removable padded back" as part of the harness/shoulder straps but still that isn't an issue I can cut them off so this product isn't of the list just yet or do you advice on cutting off a bad move?

Ricky

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:48 pm

For the price, I'd just buy an Ortlieb Drybag.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:30 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Ok Ron I took the feature list "Removable padded back" as part of the harness/shoulder straps but still that isn't an issue I can cut them off so this product isn't of the list just yet or do you advice on cutting off a bad move?
Well it would seem pointless to pay the full price and cut the harness off - these would probably do the job. But when it comes to dry bags there are plenty to choose from. Try these, and of course there are the Ortliebs.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:32 pm

il padrone wrote:For the price, I'd just buy an Ortlieb Drybag.
That's not a bad idea IP but rather than purchase a Ortlieb drybag I would purchase a drybag I currently use as they have an air valve in them so once rolled up you can squish them flat locking the air out and make using drybags simple to use.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:38 pm

Ron the pockets on yours would be handy and the bungee cord so as for the money that isn't a biggy it's more about use and I can see yours with those added features being useful at some point. Thanks for the other links as well to more drybags but the air release drybags wins for my use if I'm going that path.

Ricky

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:48 pm

rifraf wrote: DHL have tried to add a Quarantine fee on top but only the one demand so far.
Hi Aidan just to let you know both packages arrived from Wiggles and both escaped DHL fees so maybe they have got the message or I'm lucky and missed all the DHL fluff.

Ricky

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:12 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote: Hi Aidan just to let you know both packages arrived from Wiggles and both escaped DHL fees so maybe they have got the message or I'm lucky and missed all the DHL fluff.Ricky
Thats excellent news Ricky. :D
I'm hesitant about making any further Wiggle orders after the last experience. :|

My front pannier rack from England still hasnt arrived though it was posted on the first of this month.
Its driving me even madder than usual. :evil:
Could be my fault as I now notice in the conformation of address form I failed to notice the lack of State (NSW). :oops: :roll:
It did have my town and post code though so I'm hoping it doesnt get sent back to the UK.
I am starting to get out on my bike a bit more which is good.
The Brooks Swift is slowing breaking my backside into shape and I'm now good for an hour and a half at a stretch before
the rump starts crying for mercy.
Much better than the initial ten minutes when it first went on the bike.
I think I'm slowly getting there with it.

Wingnut

Panniers

Postby Wingnut » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:23 pm

Hmm...I've never had an issue with Wiggle? I've ordered dozens of items over the years and they've always arrived in a timely manner & never any extra charges? I always use the cheapest postage but I guess I've never cut it fine on the $80 limit so no additional fees.

Now Ribble is a whole other story, they stuff up mail to a Po Box but Wiggle don't so I can't explain their incompetence?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk... ;-)

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:03 pm

Wingnut wrote:Hmm...I've never had an issue with Wiggle? I've ordered dozens of items over the years and they've always arrived in a timely manner & never any extra charges? I always use the cheapest postage but I guess I've never cut it fine on the $80 limit so no additional fees.

Now Ribble is a whole other story, they stuff up mail to a Po Box but Wiggle don't so I can't explain their incompetence?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk... ;-)
Hi Wingnut,
sorry for not being clear.
Only current issue with Wiggle is DHL who tried adding a quarantine fee.
Front rack is via another company.

Wingnut

Postby Wingnut » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:25 am

Oh ok, I'll make sure I don't get into a DHL situation then... :wink:

stubbie

Postby stubbie » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:30 pm

rifraf wrote: The Brooks Swift is slowing breaking my backside into shape and I'm now good for an hour and a half at a stretch before
the rump starts crying for mercy.
Much better than the initial ten minutes when it first went on the bike.
I think I'm slowly getting there with it.
After breaking in five Brooks' saddles on as many bikes in the last seven year I have slowly developed a theory that it is just as much about breaking in your bum as it is reshaping the saddle. :D
Gravity will never let you down.