Australian Cyclist magazine

cricetidae

Australian Cyclist magazine

Postby cricetidae » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:49 pm

I am currently at work and reading the Jan/Feb issue of Australian Cyclist and was wondering if the name is a bit of a misnomer. There appears to be very little reference to anything west of the South Australian border.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Surely there are correspondents or sources on the west coast that can supply them with articles and information.

It piqued my curiousity.
Todd

Masi Nouva Strada '06
Scott Scale 50 '08

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:40 pm

Todd,

Get back to work! :D

I never bother with printed magazines for any of my interests these days. All the information I need for cycling or photography can be plucked fresh from the internet. Magazines are out of date before they even hit the stands (especially regarding digital photography!)

The west will always be ignored by "Australian" publications because our market is way too small. Most of the country's population lives east of the Great Dividing Range, so they pander to that market with stories about riding there. It helps the advertisers reach their target markets.

In fact, most major companies regard Perth as a "test market" for their products: they try new products here before major releases in the eastern states. My nephew works in Coke's marketing division. He told me how they release new products here, complete with advertising, because we are a microcosm of the Aussie population but our television and newspaper advertising is isolated from the rest of the country. Coke's flavoured milk brand is available here if you search hard enough.

Sometimes that works in our favour though. Ever tried to buy "hot and spicy" KFC in the eastern states? Only Perth has it now.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

HappyHumber

Re: Australian Cyclist magazine

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:19 pm

I dunno, Todd. As per Graeme's comments... we ARE the minority of the population & thus market ($$$).

But I still enjoy the mag for what it is. You know if they're talking about a product you're interested in and even though they may mention eastern states distributors or national importers - it shouldn't be too hard for your LBS (or not so local, for that matter) of choice to get get things in for you.

I have been reading the mag for about 5 years or so now. I came across it by chance in a Vic Park newsagent and found it a refreshing breeze after the performance orientated roadie/triathlete diehard mags I had flicked through until that point. I think it help me find my place as the sort of cyclist I wanted to be, ie. more for my pleasure than anything

I've since had a subscription as part of BTA membership and always enjoy it for what it is. I've passed on back issues to friends just starting out as a small encouragement thing and they've often spoke postively about it.

There are WA articles in there... you just gotta be careful not to blink :D

quietly enjoying my backwater...

Kym

(oh and Graeme - I know the brand of Milk drinks you mean; Golbourn Valley - you generally see them at Coles & Woolies. I picked one up when I first saw the brand and read the label. Saw the small print "A division of Coca-cola" and haven't touched one since ;) )
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

TonyS

Contacted the editor

Postby TonyS » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:36 am

Bikewest has contacted the editor of Australian Cyclist about the complete absence of anything relating to Western Australia in his magazine. We have offered to provide content for future editions and it is my intention to inundate the guy with so much material that his readers will start to think it is the West Australian Cyclist.

timbo

Postby timbo » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:46 pm

Australian Cyclist magazine started out as a magazine produced by Bicycle NSW for its members.
It has become a national (almost national apparently) magazine in the last few years.
When it first went national, it has a NSW section in the centre of the magazine, which was added for Bicycle NSW members only, and now that has dissappeared and the NSW section is available on-line to download.

I'd say Australian Cyclist would be happy to receive articles from WA, but may not have a correspondant to write the articles, take the photo's and send them off to the magazine.

Any takers anyone. Here's the chance to earn an income (probably not much) from cycling, and then claim all your cycling expenses as a tax deduction. It sounds good in theory anyway.

Crank

Re: Contacted the editor

Postby Crank » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:50 pm

TonyS wrote:Bikewest has contacted the editor of Australian Cyclist about the complete absence of anything relating to Western Australia in his magazine. We have offered to provide content for future editions and it is my intention to inundate the guy with so much material that his readers will start to think it is the West Australian Cyclist.
That will be good, i do now and then get the "Australian Cyclist" mag and it would be good to see more of W.A. in it.
But lets start looking at the types of cycling eg: touring,lowriders,cruisers,recumbent,bmx,commuting,tandem and "hey i just want to ride a bicycle for fun" just to cover all cycling interests and activities including men and women. Also maybe lets look at the whole of W.A from north to south.

CRANK

cricetidae

Postby cricetidae » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:16 pm

Thank you Tony for being able to step up and offer the services of BikeWest. People on the other side should know what they are missing by not living on this side of the country.

I look forward to reading articles shortly and perhaps a few of us can offer some wisdom, experiences and riding tales to help boost your contributions.

Anyone want to talk and write about their secret riding spot or favourite place to ride?
Todd

Masi Nouva Strada '06
Scott Scale 50 '08

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:30 pm

The latest issue of Bicycling Australia has an article on cycling in the Swan Valley.

Andrew

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:06 am

timbo wrote:Australian Cyclist magazine started out as a magazine produced by Bicycle NSW for its members.
..............it has a NSW section in the centre of the magazine, which was added for Bicycle NSW members only.............
I'd say Australian Cyclist would be happy to receive articles from WA, but may not have a correspondant to write the articles, take the photo's and send them off to the magazine.
Is that right? My back issues don't mention Bicycle NSW till around 2003, but I don't have them all. I recall an issue where it was explained that BNSW were taking over publication, all my back issues before 2003 show the Bicycle Federation of Australia as the publisher. Anyway...

I have submitted stuff in the past, the last following a ride down the Kep Track last June. Never published but that's no surprise - not sure my writing ability is up to the task.

TonyS

Kep Track article

Postby TonyS » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:44 pm

Dear chuckchunder, I am currently writing an article on the Kep Track for the West Australian and would like to have a look at what you submitted to Australian Cyclist last year. Also interested in any high-resolution photos you may have of riders on the Kep Track. Please email me via the DPI Cycling Unit.
Many thanks for any assistance.TonyS