how long did it take u to increase your avg speed

lammy

Postby lammy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:24 am

I have had my road bike a couple of months now and am averaging around 28-29kph on a 60k ride with hills included. My best is 30.4kph to date on the way to work. I am cycling 30k per day 5 days, and 130k social rides at weekends and loving it.

With all that in mind I just wanted to know how long it took other riders to improved their average speeds and how long it took to acheive it. I would love to read some examples of how much quicker you are now compared to when you started and how long it took. An idea of what I may be capable of in a realistic timeframe would be a great motivator.

ezzy

Re: how long did it take u to increase your avg speed

Postby ezzy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:55 pm

How good you're going. For me, nowhere near as yours.

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:01 pm

geeez. i could only wish to be there!

i dont know how people average 30's - i have convinced myself they are just doing flats as no matter how hard i try im doing well if its 20!

i am doing a lot of hills but people just fly past me :(
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com

sherlock

Postby sherlock » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:01 pm

Average speed means little. Work on your cadence and power output.

sogood

Postby sogood » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:46 pm

Schmenz wrote:i have convinced myself they are just doing flats as no matter how hard i try im doing well if its 20!
20miles/hr?
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Apple

Postby Apple » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:06 pm

sogood wrote:
Schmenz wrote:i have convinced myself they are just doing flats as no matter how hard i try im doing well if its 20!
20miles/hr?
No sogood, she means 20km/hr. But Schmenz is working on it. :wink:
The lack of riding that I am doing right now means I should be able to keep up with Schmenz :mrgreen:
Last edited by Apple on Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:19 pm

Hmm, yes, on the road bike my long term average riding speed on Audax rides of 200-300kms has been 27 kmh. I may be able to do up to a 30kmh average speed for shorter rides (40-80kms) and/or flatter rides, but not on the tourer. So a 27-29kmh average is very good for someone just starting out. I'm guessing you're a whippersnapper, not on the wrong side of 50 like me.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Addictr3

Postby Addictr3 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:35 pm

Work on your HIIT training, and watch the speeds increase, or just ride with the wind behind you :P
If you can't explain it simply, then you don't understand it well enough.

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:54 pm

Apple wrote:
sogood wrote:
20miles/hr?
No sogood, she means 20k/hr. But Schmenz is working on it. :wink:
The lack of riding that I am doing right now means I should be able to keep up with Schmenz :mrgreen:

yea 20km/hr. im slow :oops: :cry: i can easily hit 50/70 on a downhill and mid 30s on flats but its the hills that kill me. when my compact arrives that should change things a bit.

sogood.... how else did you think i could do 2 laps of the RNP! :D

my only excuse is that i have a tiny little engine. i see the big beefy 6ft people passing me and my engine gets super jealous :( all that leg leverage and extra power and torque. vroooommm. im like a little 1.3L hatchback competing with v8 utes!

dclnmurray

Postby dclnmurray » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:13 pm

I have been riding for about 15 months now and proving you are doing time on the bike your average will increase due to fitness. I started at 89kg's and now at 76kg's so that alone will make a big difference. Shallow climbs of 3% grade I struggled at 15/16 kph. I now can go up them at around 25/27kph. You have to spend time on the bike and push hard every now and then.

Last year I did 100km rides averaging 28kph and just recently finished the Bris to Gold Coast 100km ride at 36kph average so you may improve if you put the time in.

Cheers

Dave

Mustang

Postby Mustang » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:31 pm

il padrone wrote:Hmm, yes, on the road bike my long term average riding speed on Audax rides of 200-300kms has been 27 kmh. I may be able to do up to a 30kmh average speed for shorter rides (40-80kms) and/or flatter rides, but not on the tourer. So a 27-29kmh average is very good for someone just starting out. I'm guessing you're a whippersnapper, not on the wrong side of 50 like me.
And me (60), can only wonder how good you are going.
Distance Goal 4000km
70 years young.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:39 pm

dclnmurray wrote: just recently finished the Bris to Gold Coast 100km ride at 36kph average
:o

Solo or riding in the bunch?
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:53 pm

Schmenz wrote:
Apple wrote:
sogood wrote: 20miles/hr?
No sogood, she means 20k/hr. But Schmenz is working on it. :wink:

yea 20km/hr. im slow :oops: :cry: i can easily hit 50/70 on a downhill and mid 30s on flats but its the hills that kill me. when my compact arrives that should change things a bit.

sogood.... how else did you think i could do 2 laps of the RNP! :D

my only excuse is that i have a tiny little engine. i see the big beefy 6ft people passing me and my engine gets super jealous :( all that leg leverage and extra power and torque. vroooommm. im like a little 1.3L hatchback competing with v8 utes!
Funny how the grass is always greener - the light weight ladies scooting up a hill make me envious.
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass

notwal

Postby notwal » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:24 pm

il padrone wrote:Hmm, yes, on the road bike my long term average riding speed on Audax rides of 200-300kms has been 27 kmh. I may be able to do up to a 30kmh average speed for shorter rides (40-80kms) and/or flatter rides, but not on the tourer. So a 27-29kmh average is very good for someone just starting out. I'm guessing you're a whippersnapper, not on the wrong side of 50 like me.
You're not just a pretty face IP. :D
judged, insulted, gone

morini

Postby morini » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:55 pm

Do some research via the web on training protocols. A lot of people work on the "go hard or go home principle". I did and so did a lot of my generation. I'm 52.

I remember a mate telling me one arvo during a ride twenty years ago that he'd been reading an article in the New Scientist and it was talking about how the body improved through LSD (long slow distance) training. I was totally perplexed and couldn't believe it but years later when I became qualified to coach in a non cycling sport, it started to make sense. I don't know much about the training regimes or the sports physiology of cycling but there a number similarities between many sports.

In a nutshell, a lot of coaches treat "work" i.e. training as being like a letter that you mail to your self. Improvement, your letter, is usually returned in 10 to 14 days. This is dependant on what work your doing i.e. easy/hard etc.. The other standard is the cycle you work off. The most common is a 4 week cycle. You build for three and recover for one and so on. Each cycle takes the improvement from the last and builds on it.

A lot of my generation just believed that you went out and flogged yourself, day in day out. That's how we thought you improved, by getting used to it. How wrong we were. Training smarter will help you get much better improvement which allows you to build your fitness, layer upon layer.

My only bit of training advice is to never underestimate the benefits of recovery training.

Cheers

lammy

Postby lammy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:59 pm

dclnmurray wrote:I have been riding for about 15 months now and proving you are doing time on the bike your average will increase due to fitness. I started at 89kg's and now at 76kg's so that alone will make a big difference. Shallow climbs of 3% grade I struggled at 15/16 kph. I now can go up them at around 25/27kph. You have to spend time on the bike and push hard every now and then.

Last year I did 100km rides averaging 28kph and just recently finished the Bris to Gold Coast 100km ride at 36kph average so you may improve if you put the time in.

Cheers

Dave
Thanks for all your comments really interesting reading. Seems I am doing ok for a beginner it seems. I am 41 years old btw, 76kg.

I also just started riding in a group and when they pick up the pace I get dropped very quickly even by the older retired riders :(

100k at 28k seems realistic for me at present, I would be so happy to up that to 36kph in a year that would be real progress and feel I could ride comfortably at the front of any group at that pace.

I wonder what the averages are for A, B, C & D class riders? Anybody any ideas?

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:16 am

my only excuse is that i have a tiny little engine. i see the big beefy 6ft people passing me and my engine gets super jealous all that leg leverage and extra power and torque. vroooommm. im like a little 1.3L hatchback competing with v8 utes!
My wife says this to me when we are running - she is around 49-50kg and I'm about 90ish ( :cry: ).

She is always saying my legs are longer than hers - I tell her to put on a 40kg packpack and tell me how much longer she would want her legs to be to compensate....

nescius

Postby nescius » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:34 am

lammy wrote:...I wonder what the averages are for A, B, C & D class riders? Anybody any ideas?
C Grade in Canberra on a flat (as flat as it gets anyway) road race will typically have an average speed of around 38kmh, crits are about the same speed or maybe a little faster 39-40kmh. Hilly road race I think average speeds are usually a bit over 30kmh. D grade is not much slower, only 1 or 2 kmh difference usually.

Those speeds really depend on the prevailing weather conditions so they are pretty arbitrary, but it gives you a bit of an idea. They are also bunch speeds so are significantly faster than solo speeds.
Scott Spark 900 RC | Yeti Arc | Yeti SB130 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:00 am

If you are really keen on getting quicker you should get into some reading on training programs and methods.

You might to start off with a bit of heart rate zone training so rather than just easy or hard you are actually working the different systems of the body in a structured manner.

You could increase your power and fitness much quicker by working smarter (as eluded to above) not just harder and or longer.

Maybe grab a couple of books on riding fitness and heart rate training - power training is supposed to be better but I can not afford a power meter so could not tell you.

But for my running and riding HR Zone training and some structure has made a huge difference and yes don't be affarid of the recovery ride very important for your body.

Head to the training thread as and have a sniff around good bits and pieces in there.

But it sounds liek you are going pretty well anyway....
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:50 am

AndyTheMan wrote:
my only excuse is that i have a tiny little engine. i see the big beefy 6ft people passing me and my engine gets super jealous all that leg leverage and extra power and torque. vroooommm. im like a little 1.3L hatchback competing with v8 utes!
My wife says this to me when we are running - she is around 49-50kg and I'm about 90ish ( :cry: ).

She is always saying my legs are longer than hers - I tell her to put on a 40kg packpack and tell me how much longer she would want her legs to be to compensate....
true that.

but then if you took some items out of your backpack, things would get easier.. :P

my legs wont get longer :P unless i ride with platform shoes on... now theres an idea..

AndyTheMan

Postby AndyTheMan » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:54 pm

Yeah Shmenz,

I'm really trying to empty the backpack....but someone at work seems to keep filing it with cakes and biscuits... :roll:

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:09 pm

AndyTheMan wrote:Yeah Shmenz,

I'm really trying to empty the backpack....but someone at work seems to keep filing it with cakes and biscuits... :roll:
YUM!

go gluten and lactose free and that ends pretty quickly :cry: :cry: :cry:

TrekStar

Postby TrekStar » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:26 pm

Used to ride at 21kph 5-6 months ago. Have been steadily increasing every month, and the last ride I did to the Gold Coast, I did 33kph. Hoping to maintain now on my rides above 28kph or more. It's doable. My formulae for success.

1) Ride more often.
2) Ride with faster riders and push to keep up as much as you can.
3) Ride to work (go easy - this is either for recovery or building fitness at 60-70% max heart rate).
4) Do intervals on rides.
5) Hold faster speeds for longer during your intervals.
6) Do hills. Repeats.
7) Rest. Eat well.
8) Repeat all the above.

Ride and eat well enough, you'll lose some weight too, which will help with the speed too.

If anyone's interested in HR Zone training, you can find out the different training zones here: http://www.cycling-inform.com/heart-rat ... ur-cycling

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:49 pm

lammy wrote:I have had my road bike a couple of months now and am averaging around 28-29kph on a 60k ride with hills included. My best is 30.4kph to date on the way to work. I am cycling 30k per day 5 days, and 130k social rides at weekends and loving it.

With all that in mind I just wanted to know how long it took other riders to improved their average speeds and how long it took to acheive it. I would love to read some examples of how much quicker you are now compared to when you started and how long it took. An idea of what I may be capable of in a realistic timeframe would be a great motivator.
It all depends on the course you are riding, and what you mean by "hills". Avg speed is pretty much meaningless when trying to compare two different rides (over different routes). Even the weather can have a huge impact (such as a massive headwind or tailwind). That said, 28-29kmh avg speed as a solo rider is pretty good by any measure. I've been cycling now for 3 years, dropped from 98kg to 82kg.
for my regular commute I am averaging between 24 to 28km/h depending on conditions. I am putting in the same effort for each ride, but some days you get every red light and that really kills the avg speed, other times you get nasty headwinds, and sometimes all the ducks line up and you get a massive tailwind, all green lights and no traffic!. There is nothing you can do about it, so I don't treat the commute as something where I too concerned about my speed or time. It takes as long as it takes (but those days where it all just works out are great!).

On my weekend rides, avg speed is only a useful measure if I am riding the exact same route under the exact same conditions. This is rarely the case, but riding solo I tend to average around 27km/h on a hilly course (such as this one: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/76801453)

The fastest I have done the commute to work is 34km/h avg speed.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Waza

Postby Waza » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:30 pm

i have only been riding for about 10 months now. started out with an avg of only 20km/h just. with the brissy to coast i did it with an avg of 26.7km/h. now im no light weight either at 115kg (ex rugby player :( ) but i ride almost everyday even if i only have time for a quick 15km ride. and ive lost some weight and got the avg up.
so wont take you long IMO.
2011 Giant Defy 2
2011 EMC Equip 1.7
+ Girl friends EMC 2.2FEM