Common road rule misunderstandings

InTheWoods

Re: Common road rule misunderstandings

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:58 pm

ft_critical wrote:I did a search for this in the rta.nsw website and didn't get the definative answer I expected.

Do I have to by law dismount to ride across a Pedestrian Crossing?

I do this at Milson's Point ocasionally, and have done it in front of Police Targetting cyclists running red lights who didn't bat an eyelid at me. Customarily, I unclip and use my feet to propel me sitting on the top tube, but I don't think that matters.

With the lawyers on the forum I expect this to be quickly resolved. Thanks
Its in there:

248 No riding across a road on a crossing

(1) The rider of a bicycle must not ride across a road, or part of a road, on a children’s crossing or pedestrian crossing.

Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.

Note. Children’s crossing is defined in rule 80, and pedestrian crossing is defined in rule 81.

(2) The rider of a bicycle must not ride across a road, or part of a road, on a marked foot crossing, unless there are bicycle crossing lights at the crossing showing a green bicycle crossing light.

Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.

Note. Marked foot crossing is defined in the Dictionary.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:01 pm

Thanks Team. Forum +1, Google 0.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:20 am

Now i THINK i know the answer to this one but as a fan of QI i know that what seems logical might not be correct. A customer in the shop this morning was complaining bitterly about the cyclists getting around as a result of the Noosa Tri this weekend, and claimed that 'it is written in the road rules that cyclists must be 300mm to the left of the white line, and drivers must be a metre to the right'. He was specifically referring to a road with a marked cycle lane. Now given his next statement was to carry on about registration for cyclists because 'they're all idiots', i took the first statement with a grain of salt but i want to KNOW he's wrong.

EDIT: In case the reference to the Noosa Tri didn't make it clear, i'm in Queensland.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

myforwik

Postby myforwik » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:06 pm

I don't know where people come up with that sort of crap. 300mm? 1m? Where do they pull these numbers from?

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:08 pm

myforwik wrote: Where do they pull these numbers from?
According to him, from the road rules.

KenGS

Postby KenGS » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:47 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
You can see them here: http://www.legislation.qld.gov.au/LEGIS ... RURR09.pdf
Print them off and carry them with you - maybe you can win a bet or two
--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:50 pm

Oxford wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:
ask them to exactly specify the road rules concerned, just let them know not to waste too much time looking, because it is not there anyway.
I didn't push him as i got a strong impression that he was one of those people who will not accept when they are wrong. Plus i was at work and 'the customer is always right' :roll: .

Thank you so much for that link KenGS, exactly as i thought, there are no distances given. As i understand it, a bicycle lane is only a bicycle lane if it is signed as such, so if there is a green 'lane' on the road but no sign, it is not a lane? The bloke who triggered my questions was insistent that cyclists 'belong' in the 'bike lane' (by which in many parts of this area i presume he means the ditch), and according to that document, a rider is only obligated to ride in the 'bike lane' if it is a bike lane by that definition, i.e it is signed.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:12 pm

ldrcycles wrote:...and according to that document, a rider is only obligated to ride in the 'bike lane' if it is a bike lane by that definition, i.e it is signed.
And only if it is practicable. If you are turning right, move into the car lanes, indicating as you go.
If the bike lane fits the standard of urban road waste collection point and is full of glass shards, bits of dead retread, random sized bits of gravel and orphaned wheel weights then move into the car lane. You have this right.

I've been bollocked by a smokeboxer for not using the bikelane in similar circumstances, he passed me on the way to my place for some beer and footy. Was OK once I pointed out the whys. This particular bikelane seems to only get swept every second blue moon. Calls to the council have been effective about 1/7 times. :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

David_G

Postby David_G » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:28 pm

Mulger bill wrote:

This particular bikelane seems to only get swept every second blue moon. Calls to the council have been effective about 1/7 times. :roll:

That's solved the riddle, they're down here on the Peninsula every other blue moon.
Who says there's no sharing of resources out there?
I just love riding my bike!