Thanks to all and watch those tramlines!!

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Thanks to all and watch those tramlines!!

Postby alkhoo » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:23 pm

Hi guys and gals,

Been posting here on and off but have to admit I have been quiet for a while. This week was starting to look very promising cycling wise but alas, things don't always go to plan.

My commute to work is about 4.5k from Southbank to Port Melbourne, but because I get to the office around 6.30-ish, I normally take the long way home around the eastern suburbs, doing laps along Yarra Boulevard, Burnley or Yarra Boulevard, Kew. This afternoon's ride started like any other, met up with a work colleague at 4pm, did some laps and headed over to his place for a coffee. On the way back from Camberwell was where things went pear-shaped.

There are new apartments going up at the corner of Camberwell Junction, so constructions have set up cones to merge the lanes into one on Riversdale Road. As I was merging from the left lane into the right lane, I was guilty of looking far ahead rather than down. It happened so fast. The wheel dropped into the tramlines and that was it, I was in for the ride. Today, I brought traffic to a standstill in Camberwell Junction. I landed on my left side with the bike taking off to the right.

Pretty badly shaken up, I tried getting up to move out of the way but my legs simply would not cooperate. About 6-8 people rushed to my aid, helping me to stand up and move to the side, others were moving the bike, etc. Some were pedestrians, some were car (and van) drivers, construction crew and some cyclists as well.

The good news is I am in one piece. I'm so glad I left the house wearing my full finger gloves, only a tiny graze on the right wrist. - I was tempted to stuff them in my jersey pocket as the ambient temperature felt like mid-20s. My left side (left thigh and bum) hurts like hell, but no broken bones or fractures. It hurts to put weight on the left leg. It is going to hurt like hell tomorrow! My left wrist is tender as well, probably because reflex meant I probably stuck my hand out to stop the inevitable. Some friction burn on my left thigh is the only exposed skin - thank goodness that my knicks took all the punishment - no tears to the lycra - and thank goodness I shaved my legs on Monday!

I'm going to have a lie down now for a day or two, but just want to thank everybody that stopped to help, the van driver that offered to drive me home/hospital, the cyclists that stopped to help and move the bike, the construction worker that gave me ice-packs, etc. I am forever grateful. I called my mate who lives 5 minutes from Camberwell Junction and he quickly swung into action to pick me up, made sure I was okay, and dropped me home to my very shocked and grateful wife.

Haven't looked at the bike yet but that is replaceable, life isn't.

My apologies to the grammar and spelling polices, but correctness is the last thing on my mind at the moment. I'm just glad that I pretty much 'walked away' from something that could have turned out into a real disaster. I'm glad that I made it home today.

I should be on the mend over the next few days, and hopefully, I'm back on the bike in a week or two.

Keep riding, keep safe and watch out for those bloody tram lines!

Regards,
Alex
alkhoo

by BNA » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:56 pm

BNA

Re: Thanks to all and watch those tramlines!!

Postby hitchhiker » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:56 pm

Sorry to hear about your fall

I know from personal experience that tram tracks can really bite

Hopefully you heal quickly
hitchhiker

Postby elStado » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:56 am

Sorry to hear about the prang - lucky you didn't do any serious damage though! Hope this doesn't put you off cycling, but I will guarantee that you will be watching for the tracks in from now on.

Hows the bike?
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
elStado

Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Postby elantra » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:06 pm

Sounds like a day that you would rather forget.

On a cautionary note i would advise you to have an XRay examination of your wrist if it remains painful.
These sort of accidents sometimes result in fracture of the Scaphoid bone in the wrist.
If it is not managed correctly an undetected scaphoid fracture will eventually become a PITA.
So see your GP this week and get an XRay if there is any residual wrist pain.
Regards, Steve
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Return to Commuting