Best Route Commute - Pennant Hills --> City

robalert

Postby robalert » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:41 pm

sbra9635 wrote:
robalert wrote:i commuted a few times from Eastwood to City and found the inner west route preferable to the Vic Rd route. Vic Rd is Hilly and polluted.

Most of the guys in Bikenorth all prefer the inner city route, some head out from carlingford etc....

You just head down along the train line if you are coming from pennant hills, then via eastwood station, down thru meadowbank via rhodes into olympic park. Then you cut through Concord near Majors Bay Rd out the back to Canada Bay, then through to Bay Run. Up Lilyfield Hill onto Anzac Bridge etc. Alot more pleasant, less hillier.

www.bikenorth.org.au
Bikenorth run a bikebus in the mornings heading out from Epping in Sydney. I can pass on more details to you. A guy Richard Rattray runs it. Safer to ride in a group if you gonna hit Epping Rd

Thanks, I'll definately check it out. Vic rd route is definately crazy with the hills. I'm starting to have preference to the M2 at the moment, its such a nice run but the dheli rd hill to north sydney is somewhat intimidating at the moment with my slow dualie mtb.

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:55 am

I've checked out the bikebus info before and whilst being a great idea, the requirement of 25km/hr average speed is still a bit much for my slow, heavy and chunky mountain bike. 25km/hr is possible on my best of best days on a pure flat road when I've eaten properly and my bike is just serviced. Let's just say it doesn't happen often. Damnit I really need that road bike now!

cludence

Postby cludence » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:57 pm

I am visiting a friend in a few days who has numerous road bikes. Of course they are not $1000 bikes but they are far better than your cheapies. I can see if he has anything that would be suitable for you. If not, I can PM you his number and you can give him a call. Might help till you can get the bike you are saving for. I occasionally get a decent one in here from time to time. At the moment I only have road frames (need wheels) so unless you feel like playing around with them, I can't help but will keep an eye out for you.

Karen.

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:06 am

cludence wrote:I am visiting a friend in a few days who has numerous road bikes. Of course they are not $1000 bikes but they are far better than your cheapies. I can see if he has anything that would be suitable for you. If not, I can PM you his number and you can give him a call. Might help till you can get the bike you are saving for. I occasionally get a decent one in here from time to time. At the moment I only have road frames (need wheels) so unless you feel like playing around with them, I can't help but will keep an eye out for you.

Karen.
That sounds really good... my problem at the moment is funding as I'm a uni student focused more on my marks than on employment at the moment. That said and after the christmas season, my bank account is somewhat low so there isn't a huge rush to look at bikes just because I can't afford one. Although I am always open to things like this as I really do need a road bike, even one as an intermediate towards getting a new bike.

Cheers,
Shannon