Comedian

Kedron Brook Bikeway to the sea conditions report

Postby Comedian » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:31 am

They told menthe racing scene was full of snakes! :mrgreen:

winstonw

Re: Kedron Brook Bikeway to the sea conditions report

Postby winstonw » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:47 am

Comedian wrote:They told menthe racing scene was full of snakes! :mrgreen:
well, unlike the commuting scene, they all travel in the same direction (except for the above slow mover) which has its advantages. The reason the Bicentennial Bikeway along Coro Drive was upgraded at considerable expense was in large part due to pressure brought to bear by Wesley Hospital big wigs, after a steady weekly workload of traumatized BB cyclists and pedestrians, not traveling in the same direction. :)

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:47 pm

winstonw wrote:Resident 7 foot carpet python Nundah Criterium track beside Kedron Brook Bikeway.
We were doing laps yesterday arvo on a clear track, then suddenly he is sprawled across it. He moved quite fast for such a large carpet python.

That could have caused a real pile-up if it had gone across the track during the crits on Saturday :shock: :shock:

We didn't see any wildlife out there when we rode to Redcliffe on Saturday, thank goodness....
Lisa

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:01 pm

marinmomma wrote:That could have caused a real pile-up if it had gone across the track during the crits on Saturday :shock: :shock:
tell me about it. half the pack would want to turn it into a leather wallet, and the other half would go over the handlebars in the haste to stop well short of fangs.
marinmomma wrote:We didn't see any wildlife out there when we rode to Redcliffe on Saturday, thank goodness....
In the words of Master Yoda "But you will, you wiiilllll". :D

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:47 pm

winstonw wrote:
Comedian wrote:They told menthe racing scene was full of snakes! :mrgreen:
well, unlike the commuting scene, they all travel in the same direction (except for the above slow mover) which has its advantages. The reason the Bicentennial Bikeway along Coro Drive was upgraded at considerable expense was in large part due to pressure brought to bear by Wesley Hospital big wigs, after a steady weekly workload of traumatized BB cyclists and pedestrians, not traveling in the same direction. :)
I think you may have read more into my comment than intended... but who's to say :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:45 pm

winstonw wrote:
marinmomma wrote:That could have caused a real pile-up if it had gone across the track during the crits on Saturday :shock: :shock:
tell me about it. half the pack would want to turn it into a leather wallet, and the other half would go over the handlebars in the haste to stop well short of fangs.
marinmomma wrote:We didn't see any wildlife out there when we rode to Redcliffe on Saturday, thank goodness....
In the words of Master Yoda "But you will, you wiiilllll". :D
Never, but I'll be cautious now when I do laps around the track.
Lisa

Huggies

Postby Huggies » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:54 am

I just headed down to the Nundah Criterium track for a late night ride. No snakes as such but the lights along the bikeway beyond the Criterium were all extinguished.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:49 am

Comedian wrote:I think you may have read more into my comment than intended... but who's to say :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Maybe. I thought you were affirming your impression cyclists who express their competitiveness on a race track, as opposed to their commute track, are mental. but who's to say :)

Huggies

Postby Huggies » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:56 pm

The bikeway had some minor flooding late this afternoon. Personally I got very soaked. :cry:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:32 am

There were some deep puddles on it out my way too at like 7pm. :o

Max

Postby Max » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:12 pm

Huggies, where was that? Toombul?

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:29 pm

Max wrote:Huggies, where was that? Toombul?

Max
I'll punt that was at kalinga park in the picnic shelter? :)

Huggies

Postby Huggies » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:23 am

Comedian wrote:I'll punt that was at kalinga park in the picnic shelter? :)
You're right Comedian. I headed through that way this afternoon and this part of the path is OK again. I take the bike path towards Murray Duus Park. Quite a bit of debris on the path between Shaw Road and Edinburgh Castle Road. I may have to contact the council about it.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:26 am

I rode the KBB to the sea for the first time on Wednesday and really enjoyed it.

Questions and comments as follows:

1. Ride was from Brookfield to Woody Point and back via KBB / MB Cycleway, including Nudgee Beach, lap the crit track etc. Total of 132kms !!! First century ride.
2. The route I took from Vic Park to KBB was Herston Rd, Aberleigh Rd, Gould Rd, Noble St, Kedron Brook Rd, Uxbridge St. Is this the best / safest way ? I got cut off at the round about crossing Days Rd, and got a close shave from a courier van coming home on Kedron Brook Rd. I followed the bikepath / offroad options for the rest of the way.
3. Really enjoyed the scenery and variation of environment along the route. Didn't realise how yucky the view of the western freeway was until I returned home. Still pleased to have it though for commuting :)
4. No problems with water - although following this mornings rain, that report is completely out of date.
5. No snakes spotted. I've spotted a few snakes in my 2 years of commuting but always been able to stay well clear. The 1 time I couldn't avoid one, I was travelling down a hill at about 45/50km/h when I found myself pinned between a hard gutter and debris on my left, and passing traffic on my right, when I spotted a snake right on my path. With no where else to go and no chance of stopping, my heart rate went through the dial as I was bracing myself to attempt a downhill bunny hop at speed. As I came closer, I could see it had a raised head which made me virtually crap myself. It was only just before I hit it, I realised it was one of those kids rubber snakes !!!! After getting over my initial shock, I was still spewing as it had damn nearly caused me to veer into traffic etc.

Max

Postby Max » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:59 am

Rhubarb wrote: 1. Ride was from Brookfield to Woody Point and back via KBB / MB Cycleway, including Nudgee Beach, lap the crit track etc. Total of 132kms !!! First century ride.
2. The route I took from Vic Park to KBB was Herston Rd, Aberleigh Rd, Gould Rd, Noble St, Kedron Brook Rd, Uxbridge St. Is this the best / safest way ? I got cut off at the round about crossing Days Rd, and got a close shave from a courier van coming home on Kedron Brook Rd. I followed the bikepath / offroad options for the rest of the way.
3. Really enjoyed the scenery and variation of environment along the route. Didn't realise how yucky the view of the western freeway was until I returned home. Still pleased to have it though for commuting :)
4. No problems with water - although following this mornings rain, that report is completely out of date.
5. No snakes spotted. I've spotted a few snakes in my 2 years of commuting but always been able to stay well clear. The 1 time I couldn't avoid one, I was travelling down a hill at about 45/50km/h when I found myself pinned between a hard gutter and debris on my left, and passing traffic on my right, when I spotted a snake right on my path. With no where else to go and no chance of stopping, my heart rate went through the dial as I was bracing myself to attempt a downhill bunny hop at speed. As I came closer, I could see it had a raised head which made me virtually crap myself. It was only just before I hit it, I realised it was one of those kids rubber snakes !!!! After getting over my initial shock, I was still spewing as it had damn nearly caused me to veer into traffic etc.
Sorry for the bullet-point replies!

1. Congratulations!!!! Well done! :mrgreen:
2. Instead of turning right down Gould Rd at the top of the hill (Fagan St), you could simply continue down the other side of the hill. At the bottom of the hill (where the road continues on to the left), there's an entrance to a bike path which will take you over a wide bridge onto Noble St. Turn right off the bridge onto Noble St and follow it through to Kedron Brook Rd. Google Earth (and presumably Google Maps) doesn't show the bridge at all, but trust me.. it's there!
3. Isn't it beautiful :mrgreen:
4. After this morning's rain, I expect there to be some localised flooding and/or very large puddles.
5. I'm sorry but I couldn't help but :lol: I can relate to the fear factor, too. Every time I've encountered a snake, I've screamed like a girl. Do you know how hard it is to put your feet up around your ears when your feet are clipped in???

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:24 am

Rhubarb wrote:I rode the KBB to the sea for the first time on Wednesday and really enjoyed it.

Questions and comments as follows:

1. Ride was from Brookfield to Woody Point and back via KBB / MB Cycleway, including Nudgee Beach, lap the crit track etc. Total of 132kms !!! First century ride.
1. +1 ... great work.
2. Yep that's the safest way for us northsiders into town. That's why we're whinging all the time! It's kind of ok for confident riders but a showstopper for what would be utility cyclists in other parts of the world (children, families etc).
3. Yes it's pretty but it's a very popular rec route for joggers, walkers, family, so many times it's just impossible to transit quickly on the path.
4. There will be massive muddy lakes across large sections of the path. In wet times they can persist for weeks. For anyone commuting on KBB mudguards are a must have! The bypasses become muddy and slippery so can be dangerous for people on road bike tyres.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:34 am

Thanks Max :)

I just checked that and I think that was the way I went. The park on the south side of the bridge has a play area with a large red sun shade yeah ? I took a photo of it to show my wife as I'm currently putting up a similar one at home (only marginally smaller ;) )

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:13 am

Comedian wrote:
2. Yep that's the safest way for us northsiders into town. That's why we're whinging all the time! It's kind of ok for confident riders but a showstopper for what would be utility cyclists in other parts of the world (children, families etc).
3. Yes it's pretty but it's a very popular rec route for joggers, walkers, family, so many times it's just impossible to transit quickly on the path.
Us west siders have to navigate Land St and Sylvan Rd to get from bicentennial bikeway to western freeway bikepath with similar issues I guess.

I could imagine the peds get in the way a bit as it is quite narrow for a major velo way. The peds who continually use the bike only western freeway bikepath are bad enough.

Our bike paths are more resilient to wet weather too. Still flood in extreme situations but the puddles don't hang around like they do on KBB.

Definitely worth continued investment IMO.

Huggies

Postby Huggies » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:55 pm

Did a late night ride from Toombul to Nudgee Beach. Very peaceful ride with no major issues. As far as wildlife goes I only sighted Possums, Plovers & Toads. No snakes :)

Huggies

Postby Huggies » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:46 pm

Heading home tonight I was about to cross Shaw Road around 10 PM when some moron in white 4WD Ute threw a cup of cold coffee at me :evil: . It hit me on the shirt and luckily it wasn't hot.

They drove off in a northern direction and turned into Castor Rd. Meanwhile I was yelling various expletives and sounded my Airzound Image . Time to invest in some small video cameras for the bike.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:08 am

Huggies wrote:Heading home tonight I was about to cross Shaw Road around 10 PM when some moron in white 4WD Ute threw a cup of cold coffee at me :evil: . It hit me on the shirt and luckily it wasn't hot.

They drove off in a northern direction and turned into Castor Rd. Meanwhile I was yelling various expletives and sounded my Airzound Image . Time to invest in some small video cameras for the bike.
hmmmm... gee that makes me wild. gutless spineless brain dead.
Someone once threw a bottle at me, which hit the bike fortunately and not me.
Being very much into justice, I got the first 2 digits of the number plate and remembered the car make/model/color.
Over the following 2 days I drove up and down every street within 2km of where I saw this car go, and eventually spotted it in a driveway. I didn't report it to the police, but just left a note in the letterbox reminding the guy of what he did.
I didn't threaten to do anything, but just thought I'd let him sweat in his own guilt for the rest of his life wondering what I might do.

Huggies

Postby Huggies » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:06 pm

Spotted another snake this afternoon near Nudgee Golf Course. Glad I didn't run over this Red Belly Black.

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:27 pm

Huggies wrote:Spotted another snake this afternoon near Nudgee Golf Course. Glad I didn't run over this Red Belly Black.
I don't mind the red bellies so much, as they apparently eat the browns which are much more toxic to humans.
This one is small compared to some of the monsters I've seen down that way - up to 6 foot.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:39 pm

Saw one myself just then!

Huggies

Postby Huggies » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:02 am

The bridge just north of the Shaw Road crossing is currently closed.

This whole area is to get an upgrade according to this website.

http://www.citynorthinfrastructure.com.au/news.php