Getting an ebike fixed in Brisbane

blompod

Getting an ebike fixed in Brisbane

Postby blompod » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:14 pm

I have an ebike kit fitted to a Trek Allant and its stopped working, would anyone know where to take it to get fixed in Brisbane? I bought the kit from ETAus but they are hopeless to deal with and in NSW. Thanks :roll:

Comedian

Re: Getting an ebike fixed in Brisbane

Postby Comedian » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:10 pm

Good question this. ebikes and nope are the only two operating electric bike shops i know of in Brisbane. You could try them... they may be able to recommend someone. What about an auto electrician? What is wrong? Maybe you can just replace a component off ebay?

In my experience though most ebikes are just cheap chinese junk designed to be thrown away after a couple of years. Sorry about that. If you want a proper one that will last for an extended period they are available.

smoran

Postby smoran » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:16 pm

Comedian wrote: If you want a proper one that will last for an extended period they are available.
I know Gazelle Innergy is one of the proper ones. Are there any other good brands new ebike people should be looking at that you recommend?

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:22 pm

smoran wrote:
Comedian wrote: If you want a proper one that will last for an extended period they are available.
I know Gazelle Innergy is one of the proper ones. Are there any other good brands new ebike people should be looking at that you recommend?
That's the only one I'm aware of that is sold in BNE. There are some very good euro EBIKES coming but I'm not aware that they are sold here.

By the gazelle if you want a lovely bike to last 10 years or more. If you just want a cheap e-bike then grab one of the locals and be prepared to throw it out within a few years. A friend bought one and when he wore out the brake pads and went back to where he bought it from the particular supplier that they used for that shipment didn't offer spare pads, and he couldn't find anything locally to fit. I suppose he could fit different callipers and brakes to it but it's probably just going to be retired for occasional use at his beach house after 10k and 2 years. He's buying another one now. :)

Personally I don't think they are worth the hassle but we love to find the most gadget ridden solution to any given problem......

blompod

Postby blompod » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:41 am

Thanks guys mine only lasted 3 months, i didn't research it enough at all, just assumed if they had a web site it'll be a decent product. it just stopped one day, ETAus said its probably the controller so I sent it back over night and got it back 6 weeks later after threatening going to fair trading all they sent back was the old one and the bike still doesn't go. One auto electrician didn't want to touch it. I'll give the places you mentioned a call maybe they can point me in the right direction, I doubt they themselves would want to touch a crap product.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:04 pm

blompod wrote:Thanks guys mine only lasted 3 months, i didn't research it enough at all, just assumed if they had a web site it'll be a decent product. it just stopped one day, ETAus said its probably the controller so I sent it back over night and got it back 6 weeks later after threatening going to fair trading all they sent back was the old one and the bike still doesn't go. One auto electrician didn't want to touch it. I'll give the places you mentioned a call maybe they can point me in the right direction, I doubt they themselves would want to touch a crap product.
Sorry to hear :(

Are these the guys you had problems with?

blompod

Postby blompod » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:59 pm

you bet your sweet Bippy that's them, (my mum used to say that I think a Bippy was an ice cream in the 50s)

Anthrobruce

Postby Anthrobruce » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:18 pm

I know Gazelle Innergy is one of the proper ones. Are there any other good brands new ebike people should be looking at that you recommend?[/quote]

That's the only one I'm aware of that is sold in BNE. There are some very good euro EBIKES coming but I'm not aware that they are sold here.

Dear Comedian,

Could you share with us some of the very good Euro EBIKES that are coming, please?

Best, Anthrobruce

cachexian

Postby cachexian » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:20 pm

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

If you think that it's the controller that is the problem, you should be able to replace it yourself...I'd expect that it's a 14-15Amp controller to be classed as 200W at 36V.

Alternatively, you could possibly send it to Hyena and he might be able to repair it for you or possibly replace it with one that will work with your kit. He's unwell at the moment so I expect that turn around time is reduced - send him an email first.

Alternatively, you might find that Maurice at Glowworm bikes will repair of replace your controller for you if you send it to him. They are very nice people there and work with many Ebike brands in addition to the ones they sell.

As far a good ebikes go, I'm a fan of the kit that you install onto a bike of your own choosing - that way you can end up with a really good bike for riding - that happens to have a motor.

Apart from Gazelle, I'd add Whisper and Ezee to the list of good brands that you can expect to last - and come with a really good guarantee.

EVS Evo 3 kit is the one I have
Ezee bike kit is good too

Any way here are some links:
http://www.hyenaelectricbikes.com/
http://glowwormbicycles.com.au/
http://www.currietech.com.au/

Good luck, let us know how it goes...

Cachexian.
Scott Sub 40 with 200W, 36v Ezee geared front hub motor
and...
Trek Madonne 3.1 driven by left leg and right leg