Climb category for back of Mt Mee?

notwal

Climb category for back of Mt Mee?

Postby notwal » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:35 pm

I just did the ride over Mt Mee from the Northern side on the weekend.
I think its the longest sustained climb I've done so far.
I may be imagining it but if memory serves the climb up Flagstone St to Toowoomba was easier. But then we tend to forget difficulty like the pain of child birth and steep climbs. Isn't nature wonderful. "ummm I don't remember how hard that was. I'd better do it again" :D

Anyway if Flagstone St is cat 2 and Mt Nebo is cat 2, I was wondering if Mt Mee North side might qualify as a cat 1 climb?
judged, insulted, gone

dobby

Re: Climb category for back of Mt Mee?

Postby dobby » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:48 pm

Did you do the Toowoomba Ride the Range? (That is the Blanchview climb) - the other climb is Flagstone Creek.

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:45 pm

notwal wrote:I just did the ride over Mt Mee from the Northern side on the weekend.
I think its the longest sustained climb I've done so far.
I may be imagining it but if memory serves the climb up Flagstone St to Toowoomba was easier. But then we tend to forget difficulty like the pain of child birth and steep climbs. Isn't nature wonderful. "ummm I don't remember how hard that was. I'd better do it again" :D

Anyway if Flagstone St is cat 2 and Mt Nebo is cat 2, I was wondering if Mt Mee North side might qualify as a cat 1 climb?
Have not done the Flagstone Creek Climb except in a car but I have done the climb up Mt Mee from Woodford and I would rate it as "OMGosh that hurt a lot!!"

notwal

Postby notwal » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:32 pm

dobby wrote:Did you do the Toowoomba Ride the Range? (That is the Blanchview climb) - the other climb is Flagstone Creek.
So Flagstone joins onto Blanchview? I thought it was the other way around.
Is Flagstone harder than Blanchview?
judged, insulted, gone

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:11 pm

notwal wrote:
dobby wrote:Did you do the Toowoomba Ride the Range? (That is the Blanchview climb) - the other climb is Flagstone Creek.
So Flagstone joins onto Blanchview? I thought it was the other way around.
Is Flagstone harder than Blanchview?
Flagstone Creek Road is the one that comes out onto Rowbotham near the Golf Club.
Looks like Blanchview joins Flagstone.

dobby

Postby dobby » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:15 pm

There are 2 alternate climbs up the Toowoomba Range, other than the Highway Range climb.

They are the Blanchview section, and the Flagstone Creek Road section - and Flagstone Creek Road is the very end part of both climbs. The Blanchview Climb can be accessed from Withcott or off the Spa Water Road - the Flagstone Creek climb comes off the Ma Ma Lilydale Road and joins up with the Blanchview climb via Horsfalls Lane.

The Blanchview climb has a 20% section - as does Flagstone Creek - neither are "simple".

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:30 pm

Mt. Mee and Flagstone are only Cat 2 according to mapmyride, as is Mt Glorious Road.
I've only ever found one Cat 1 climb - 20km west of Bega in NSW.