Heat wave

Crank

Heat wave

Postby Crank » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:34 pm

Just a warning to any touring people the temp above Geraldton is getting to 40-42c so if you can i would advise to sit it out
Today in the shade it got to 44c for about 1 hour half this wheather is ment to last to the end of the week..

http://www.bicyclewa.com.au/touring/tou ... eheat.html

Heat stroke can kill ...

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:43 pm

Thanks for the linky, it is important to drink and drink often. My ride home starts at 4pm and that will be bad enough, i'll take the short distance again.

exadios

Re: Heat wave

Postby exadios » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:45 pm

Crank wrote:Just a warning to any touring people the temp above Geraldton is getting to 40-42c so if you can i would advise to sit it out
Today in the shade it got to 44c for about 1 hour half this wheather is ment to last to the end of the week..

http://www.bicyclewa.com.au/touring/tou ... eheat.html

Heat stroke can kill ...
Good advice.

For cycling clothing I wear a pair of orange overalls with almost noting underneath. These are highly visible and relatively cheap. They also allow good air flow. They are avaliable from stores that sell industrial clothing.

My panniers started life as trash cans which I have painted orange and yellow. These are also highly visible, cool and durable.

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:57 pm

gsxrboy wrote:Thanks for the linky, it is important to drink and drink often. My ride home starts at 4pm and that will be bad enough, i'll take the short distance again.

I wimped out yesterday and left my bike at work overnight. Now I am faced with deciding whether to wimp out again (and have to ride home on Friday - not my prefered choice ever :D ) or face the heat for the 20Ks back to suburbia....

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:15 pm

I rode at 9:00 PM last night, just under 10 km (forgot to turn on the Garmin at the start :roll: ). It was around 30 C even then.

Andrew

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:43 pm

Brought my bike into the city today for a service and upgrade and now have to ride home. Yeah, I could wimp out and catch teh train to Joondalup, or I can ride a bit slower. I'll see how I feel as I go.

I have been drinking plenty of water today at work as drinking while riding is good, but going into the ride fully hydrated is best.

The temp is on it's way down though...so it may only be 38 when I leave here in 30 minutes or so!! Much better than 41!!

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:09 pm

moosterbounce wrote:Brought my bike into the city today for a service and upgrade and now have to ride home. Yeah, I could wimp out and catch teh train to Joondalup, or I can ride a bit slower. I'll see how I feel as I go.

I have been drinking plenty of water today at work as drinking while riding is good, but going into the ride fully hydrated is best.

The temp is on it's way down though...so it may only be 38 when I leave here in 30 minutes or so!! Much better than 41!!
Decided to take the bike - BOM site tells me that it is now only a reletively mild 36 degrees!

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:19 pm

Sounds like that oasis in the desert called Perth is having a normal desert day. :D
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

gsxrboy

Postby gsxrboy » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:29 pm

uMP2k wrote:Decided to take the bike - BOM site tells me that it is now only a reletively mild 36 degrees!
Good lad :)

I even had a bit of a tail wind on the way home (10km journey), so I almost averaged 30 in the searing heat :o It was either the wind or the fear of being BBQ-ed to bits by the blazing sun that sparked the speed :P

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:22 pm

I did 36km and it was hot. Hot riding, hot stopping, hot drinks. I took it slowly as I was also getting used to the new bars and slight change in position. Turns out it took me 15 minutes longer than my best ride which wasn't too bad. I don't thing I was going as slow as I thought I was.

I'm in Mandurah tomorrow and Saturday so hopefully Sunday arvo will be kind to me.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:16 pm

I pulled out of work around 7 and headed for the cost and a few "hills". Was 33.3 C so not to bad. Mind you I felt like I had no legs. Did 22 km anyway.

Andrew

timbo

Postby timbo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:03 am

Heat wave. Oh how I'd dream of having a heat wave.
Sydney is in the middle of a Wet Wave.

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:08 pm

oh how we dream of a wet wave. Do you a swap for a few weeks if you like :)