Saddle Sore

bepboy

Saddle Sore

Postby bepboy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:27 pm

Ok - its a well worn topic and I dont wish to start a huge debate.
All Im asking is some recommendations based on riders experience.
Im a middle aged guy, not a hard core cyclist - I ride because I really just like riding, its fun.
My issue is that the current saddle on my road bike is really a pain and im looking for some recommendations on something thats comfortable.
-------------------------------
ego veho ergo exsisto

BRLVR.v2

Re: Saddle Sore

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:26 pm

Depends on your arse/sit bones. Go to one of those shops that have a pressure point tester and get it measured.
Saddles are personal, there isn't a one style suits all. I like mine thin and flat, and can't stand those wide padded things you see hubbards on hybrids with.
Selle turbos are a good all rounder, and being made again.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:58 pm

I thought this would be about those annoying saddle sores :lol: ...i stick with I love...took me while to find t though.
Luckily for me the Aliante comes in a multitude of options now as well.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:14 am

toolonglegs wrote:I thought this would be about those annoying saddle sores :lol: ...i stick with I love...took me while to find t though.
Luckily for me the Aliante comes in a multitude of options now as well.
Ke? You speaka de Engrish! :P

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:41 am

bepboy wrote:Ok - its a well worn topic and I dont wish to start a huge debate.
All Im asking is some recommendations based on riders experience.
Im a middle aged guy, not a hard core cyclist - I ride because I really just like riding, its fun.
My issue is that the current saddle on my road bike is really a pain and im looking for some recommendations on something thats comfortable.
I've got a Brooks B17 Imperial which works well for me on my road bike. I've got a Brooks Flyer on the MTB. I'd probably try a Brooks Swift next time though as they are more road bike specific. If you don't spend much time on/in the drops, then the B17 Imperial or B17 Narrow Imperial should be fine. I had a Selle Turbo many years ago on the MTB. They are OK, but the Brooks are better in my opinion. You can go through many saddles before finding the right one. Many people have done it here and ended up with a Brooks at the point they stop looking further. Do a search as there are plenty of saddle threads here. Having said that, there are some who don't like Brooks or tensioned leather saddles. Some like the Selle SMP saddles. Some don't like them too.

If you want to go on the try_many_saddles path, then try to find a bike shop that loans them out for trial. It is no guaranty that you'll find the right one, but at least you won't waste lots of money in the process, like many others have.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:00 am

I'll put a recommendation in for a Brooks as well. I went through a few, and finally took the plunge and have never looked back.

Considering what some saddles can cost, unless you get the Ti versions, Brooks are quite well priced when bought from OS.

I have the Team Pro on both my road bikes, and wouldn't use anything else now.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:13 am

hard topic (pun intended).

What bike, what style of riding, what saddle? Wearing knicks and if so, not wearing undi-dacks?
Need to toughen up? I can be off the bike 5 weeks and when I hop back on it feels like a torture device. Strangely, and there's no science for this, the arse muscles get acclimatised or toughen up or something. [it's true!!]

Make sure your position is correct, saddle is set up properly (nose too high or low?), etc. Embrace the lycra but wash your bits first to keep saddle sores at bay.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:18 am

rustychisel wrote:I can be off the bike 5 weeks and when I hop back on it feels like a torture device. Strangely, and there's no science for this, the arse muscles get acclimatised or toughen up or something. [it's true!!]
Yes, but a broken-in Brooks is less uncomfortable (if at all) after a layoff. A Brooks doesn't require you to harden-up as much.

Daccordi Rider

Postby Daccordi Rider » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:54 am

Norwood Parade cycles have test Fisik saddles so you can try and see what you like. I had an Italia Flite which I never got used to so tested the Fisik and was happy with the Aliante (scuse the spelling). Best way is to try. A bad saddle is immediatly apparant. A good saddle will still take a bit of getting used to but you kind of know when you get on if it is supporting or pushing the sensitive spots.
Certified Brand Snob

master6

Postby master6 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:14 pm

Saddle comfort is a bit of a mystery to me. A bit like teenage pimples. Sometimes you have it; other times you dont. Pity you cant test 100 saddles!

Try slightly (And I mean miniscule slightly) adjusting the angle of your saddle, using a spirit level from front to rear. Change the angle, up or down, to get a very small change on the spirit level. Moving the saddle by eye gives change which is too large .
If your spirit level indicates saddle nose up at present, try going down, and vice versa. Try several adjustments before discarding the saddle. Remember "small adjustments".

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:43 pm

Nobody wrote:
rustychisel wrote:I can be off the bike 5 weeks and when I hop back on it feels like a torture device. Strangely, and there's no science for this, the arse muscles get acclimatised or toughen up or something. [it's true!!]
Yes, but a broken-in Brooks is less uncomfortable (if at all) after a layoff. A Brooks doesn't require you to harden-up as much.

You don't need to prothletise. I rode a Brooks Professional for 12 years until my bike was stolen. Horrible archaic pieces of [snip]

bepboy

Postby bepboy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:48 pm

Thanks all - I appreciate the comments.
Rusty - in response to your comments, I do embrace the lycra, my road bike is is the first version of Malvern Star's Oppy - the Bol D'or and it has a Velo Race saddle. I have had it for some time and tried all the adjustments and it still is uncomfortable, to the point now where its putting me off riding. I dont really want to go down the try many saddles road, because I will most likely buy online and i dont want to use up an LBS. Hence the request for comments on what other people have found comfortable.

PS: I dont want to turn this into a Brooks vs everything else saga either. So yep, Brooks are undoubtably a good saddle, but I dont think that they would suit the look of my bike.
ego veho ergo exsisto

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:04 pm

If you're near the city I have a Fi'Zik Arione you're welcome to try. Also a Fi'Zik Pave and something else.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:45 pm

rustychisel wrote:If you're near the city I have a Fi'Zik Arione you're welcome to try. Also a Fi'Zik Pave and something else.
I'll take ya up on that offer if ya don't mind Alex, as long as you don't mind sharing with a stick man and his bony narrow sit bone arse. Curious if the hype about these things is real or not.

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:59 pm

sure BRLVR, just wait to see if bepboy wants to try...

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:23 pm

rustychisel wrote:sure BRLVR, just wait to see if bepboy wants to try...
Wilco, thanks
D.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:51 pm

Might be worth a try of a Selle SMP.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:12 pm

rustychisel wrote:You don't need to prothletise.
That is just the reality of my experience. Yours is obviously different. I have no agenda. Buy what you want/suits. After my injury on the nose of the B17 Imperial while on the drops 13 days ago, I was considering a modern padded saddle which is softer on the nose. I still might get one if I get more problems. I might get a 'bent in the distant future too. I'm just interested in what works.
rustychisel wrote:I rode a Brooks Professional for 12 years until my bike was stolen. Horrible archaic pieces of...
So why did you ride it for 12 years if it was "horrible"?

Dr_Mutley

Saddle Sore

Postby Dr_Mutley » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:37 pm

U would be much better off using a lbs where u can test a multitude of saddles or yr going to end up wasting a lot of time and money....

Having said that I've got half a doz of various saddles if u want to try.... Fiziks, selle italias, a specialized romin, and a few yumcha ones... If u have little idea on what type of saddle suits u then ordering online is only going to cause u more perineal and hip pocket pain! lol

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:30 pm

Bepboy - last call. No worries either way.

Dave - I'll bring it into the office on Monday if I've not heard from him.
Nobody wrote:
rustychisel wrote:
rustychisel wrote:I rode a Brooks Professional for 12 years until my bike was stolen. Horrible archaic pieces of...
Because, amazing as this sounds, I didn't know any better. I still don't. Oh, also the fact that back in the day the choices for race saddles were really limited. I mean really limited. There was Brooks, Brooks, Brooks, and Unica and Ideale.
Ideale were cr4p, Unica were far far worse, which left Brooks. I spent a freaking fortune on the saddle, I think it cost me $25 in about 1977 and I lavished attention and neatsfoot oil on it until my buttocks glowed like a choirboys soft downy cheeks. I rode it a lot, through rain and hail to school every day, in high summer, to Victor Harbor and back, around Kangaroo Island, around Yorke Peninsula, every Adelaide Hills road within 40 miles, to uni and back every day... it was an okay saddle.

These days, there are better available*

* subject to your a r s e and comfort factor, which begs the original question, I guess. But you did ask.

master6

Postby master6 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:54 pm

I had a new Brooks B17 on my first racing bike in 1958. It was Ok, however they needed lots of care, and did not like wet weather. Pretty good in 1958. Fifty years later, I am convinced that we have better saddles, requiring no particular care. Finding the right one for your own backside is the challenge, just like buying shoes of any description. Selle Italia saddles suit me, however that is useless information to anyone else.
What will be best for you? I have no idea. I do believe that a bad saddle can become a good saddle with fine adjustments to the angle front to back. If you adjust this without a spirit level, you will be making changes that are too large, and probably go past the spot you need.
In a word : small small adjustments.

bepboy

Postby bepboy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:00 am

Back home after having to go interstate on work for a few days.
Thank you all for your advice, views, comments and kind offers.
I will take them all on board and let you know how things turn out.
ego veho ergo exsisto

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:26 pm

I must have close to the worst prospects on this thread when it comes to saddle rash and numbness issues.

The best thing I ever did was add a length of sheepskin doubled over. It is easily attached with plain old lacky bands. When the lacky bands start breaking it's ready for a whash and I fit a fresh one. Cheap, effective, works for me and maybe it works for others.

It's a big improvement but I still like to hop off every three or four kilometers though.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:45 pm

Nobody wrote:
rustychisel wrote:You don't need to prothletise.
That is just the reality of my experience. Yours is obviously different. I have no agenda. Buy what you want/suits. After my injury on the nose of the B17 Imperial while on the drops 13 days ago, I was considering a modern padded saddle which is softer on the nose. I still might get one if I get more problems. I might get a 'bent in the distant future too. I'm just interested in what works.
Just as an update to this. I've got a Pro now. Still breaking in after about 200Km. Although it may turn out to be the correct width, the rails are too short for my frame. Should be fixable with an expensive seatpost though. One of these times when it doesn't pay to be short. Even if I have to sell it again, at least it is another learning experience. :)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:21 pm

Nobody wrote: Just as an update to this. I've got a Pro now. Still breaking in after about 200Km. Although it may turn out to be the correct width, the rails are too short for my frame. Should be fixable with an expensive seatpost though. One of these times when it doesn't pay to be short. Even if I have to sell it again, at least it is another learning experience. :)
Know what you mean re short rails. I'm set on the limit, and I'm just fine. I'll give it a new home if it doesn't work ....