Meadowbank section of PVC open

Ozkaban

Meadowbank section of PVC open

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:24 pm

Hi,

Just got back from a loop from Parramatta to Meadowbank then Rhodes and back on the Parra Valley Cycleway. The long awaited section bypassing Atkins, Hope and Waratah Sts has been opened, and it is a very nice section to ride on.

Makes the trip to/from Meadowbank very pleasant.

Cheers,
Dave

zero

Re: Meadowbank section of PVC open

Postby zero » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:23 pm

That sounds like its worth a trip out there. I'm going to homebush this weekend anyway, might make a wrong way detour to have a look on the way home.

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:14 pm

WooHoo!!!

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:17 pm

But really couldn't they have opened it a day or two earlier and used it in the Spring Cycle?

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:30 pm

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:26 pm

thomashouseman wrote:Tried it today. Loved it!

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout ... hhn3dl786k

T.
+1. Also found it this afternoon. A local walker told me that it was opened Wednesday morning. Huge shame that it was not
opened for the Spring Cycle. 100% worth checking out.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:50 pm

Good to hear. Hope to try it this weekend
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:21 pm

I rode it tonight after the track meet at Lidcombe. The bridge surface really sucks at your wheels, but they seem like a great alternative to the wooden bridges I've seen before through mangroves. If they put those across all of the creeks along the Parra river we'll have a wonderful loop for commuters and walkers.

BTW, taking the bends along there at speed while pumped up on post race adrenaline and in the dark is really worth doing.

David

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:28 am

Yikes! Glad you didn't end up in the mud!
Crazy!

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:23 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote: BTW, taking the bends along there at speed while pumped up on post race adrenaline and in the dark is really worth doing.

David
Except if it's wet. The grillage used for the pathway looks similar to that used on the Coast Walk around Waverley cemetery,
and will probably be reasonably good in the wet. But, it's a bit bumpy and the turn near the western end is pretty sharp -
wouldn't be good trying to brake off high speed there in the wet.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:24 pm

Tested the new section at Melrose Park in this afternoon's steady rain. Drainage and grip on the grillage sections is brilliant - better than the concrete path sections.
WombatK

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:29 am

Awesome, good to hear.

SmellyTofu
Location: Obviously not on the bike when I'm online in Sydney

Postby SmellyTofu » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:28 am

x2 The grip is fantastic. It's like a metal grate covered with those fine non slip thing you see at the end of each step of a flight of stairs.

Photo from this morning's ride at the sharp bend.

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:35 pm

Looking good like a mangrove walk. Must try it soon!

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:42 pm

Haven't done this for awhile so I did a loop and the grate is great... LOL...had fun around the bends. Good thinking esp since it's just above the mangroves. Saw some fishermen too. They really have done a splendid job as the path works with nature rather than destroying it. That said I wouldn't want to meet bfv in a post-adrenaline rush :-P

Would love to see it extended to Gladesville/Morrison Park and the signs show there are plans for it. Imagine, a bike path that hugs the river to near Gladesville Bridge.

And found this at the bottom of Silverwater bridge -the BMWers had their get together today and the Isetta was the standout!

SmellyTofu

Postby SmellyTofu » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:16 pm

Buggered! Missed the Bimmers. I rode it again early this morning and thought those clips that hold the grate down might be of concern if you're cornering on them. Probably more of an issue with narrow 23mm tyres (yet to ride my flatty on it) rather than my 1.5" slicks but I did feel a little uneasy cornering on them so best to avoid going over those clips.

Oh, if it did extend all the way to the Gladesville bridge, it'd be the perfect way for people to ride (almost) the full length on a cycle path. But after the Gladesville bridge, and then where? The next frontier is to the city and I don't see that happening soon. My sometimes route is to ride to the CBD via Concord so going beyond the Ryde bridge isn't really going to make me think I'm going to a destination rather than just a bike ride. Like riding through Homebush Bay and the myriad of paths going nowhere but round and around.

scotto

Postby scotto » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:47 am

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:I rode it tonight after the track meet at Lidcombe. The bridge surface really sucks at your wheels, but they seem like a great alternative to the wooden bridges I've seen before through mangroves. If they put those across all of the creeks along the Parra river we'll have a wonderful loop for commuters and walkers.

BTW, taking the bends along there at speed while pumped up on post race adrenaline and in the dark is really worth doing.

David
i hope you were on the track bike !

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:39 pm

I gave this a go on Tuesday since I have a week off work ;). Really good!! There aren't too many missing links between Meadowbank and Parramatta now.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:10 pm

Boognoss wrote:I gave this a go on Tuesday since I have a week off work ;). Really good!! There aren't too many missing links between Meadowbank and Parramatta now.
Apparently in this years budget (whatever that actually means), there's funding for the link between pike st and subiaco ck. Would avoid basically all of the Rydalmere industrial estate which would be brilliant. Other than that, maybe a link between James Ruse Dr and Macarthur st, but now I'm just getting greedy :D

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:46 pm

Ozkaban wrote:
Boognoss wrote:I gave this a go on Tuesday since I have a week off work ;). Really good!! There aren't too many missing links between Meadowbank and Parramatta now.
Apparently in this years budget (whatever that actually means), there's funding for the link between pike st and subiaco ck. Would avoid basically all of the Rydalmere industrial estate which would be brilliant. Other than that, maybe a link between James Ruse Dr and Macarthur st, but now I'm just getting greedy :D
Yep, I reckon too greedy :)

I don't have a problem with Thomas St (I just ride the whole length) but I wouldn't do it with my son on the bike trailer I suppose. Avoiding the industrial estate is a big one to do IMO. It's alright on weekends but weekdays when you're mixing it up with commercial vehicles, I can see there will be conflict. Now that the path ends at Pike St I think it's a bit worst as the Pike St traffic is busier on weekdays than South St which at least has a shoulder.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

CommuRider

Postby CommuRider » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:13 pm

From the BNSW newsletter:
Ermington Bay Nature Trail – now open

The opening of the Ermington Bay Nature Trails completes a major missing link along the Parramatta River. The raised boardwalk follows the Parramatta River foreshore from Wharf Road, Ermington to George Kendall Reserve. It is a combination of raised boardwalk and concrete shared path - a rideable boardwalk through the mangrove area in Ermington Bay. There are a number of excellent design features: the outward leaning side guards, side and bottom guard rails (mean a rider or rider's pedals won't catch on the side posts) and the slip-resistant composite material used for the platform surface.

The Ermington Bay Nature Trail is jointly funded by Federal Government, RTA and Parramatta City Council.
Thank you to all three bodies :-)

SmellyTofu

Postby SmellyTofu » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:35 pm

+1

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:16 pm

How does one get from UWS to Rhodes shopping centre? Can you just follow the river past Rydalmere wharf all the way now?

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:31 pm

Yeah but you'd still have to cross either Silverwater or Meadowbank bridge.