PowerBars

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Bugsy

PowerBars

Postby Bugsy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:38 pm

Hi all,
I'm doing the Brisbane to Gold Coast ride and I wondered if PowerBars were any good?
Cheers,
Bugsy

wombatK

Re: PowerBars

Postby wombatK » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:46 pm

For a ride like that, you will need to top up your carbs along the way, and PowerBars are one of many products designed to help with that. There are other ways of achieving the same objective.

You also need to make sure you get your hydration right.

For objective scientific advice about what you need, see The Sports Dietitians Fact Sheets Road Cycling and Eating and Drinking During and After Sport.

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Bugsy

PowerBars

Postby Bugsy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:18 pm

That was great. Good info sheets. Thanks, Wombat.

Kururunfa

Postby Kururunfa » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:35 pm

I am making my own, as well as some Date and nut balls, you can find the recipe at http://www.tweedcycling.com/tweedcycling/tc/blog.aspx.
At least there are no preservatives in both recipes, the date and nut balls are my favourite

Redbull

Postby Redbull » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:24 pm

Taste like poop and expensive.

Generic brand supermarket fruit cake for the win!! Easy to eat (not dry, crumbly or hard to chew) and chock full of calories.

Some even taste pretty good 8)

I used half of one (cut into small pieces and wrapped in glad wrap) for the 250km ATB on Sunday plus 2 x gels as extra food to the lunch. Total cost was about $4.00-$4.50 (the gels were the out of date ones CE is selling)
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass