Canberra group rides?

Neumo

Canberra group rides?

Postby Neumo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:40 pm

Coming down to canberra for 3-5 days starting this friday from QLD. Are there any group rides that any one can join?
Thanks mitch

HAKS

Re: Canberra group rides?

Postby HAKS » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:42 pm

A bit of info of what you are looking for might help. Bike type, average speed, hills or flat, distance?
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

yyeric

Postby yyeric » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:48 pm

Pedal Power groups: http://www.pedalpower.org.au/events/index.asp

Bilby Triathlete Group (they do Saturday cycling trianing ride): http://bilbys.org/joomla/index.php?opti ... view&id=54

They are probably 2 of the bigger groups that accommodates different speed and distance for people.

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:02 am

Check the thread in this forum about the ride out to Uriarra, Cotter and Tidbinbilla. You're welcome to join if you think you can handle it
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:13 am

Bilbys also do a Wednesday morning ride from Dickson pool, 6am start (fast, medium and slow groups).

Vikings have a ride on Friday mornings (6am start) starting and finishing from ANU bridge near concourse, just down from Pickle Pickle cafe/Sports Union. Fast, medium and slow groups.

There is also Southside 'Grandpa' bunch starting from Bike Shed Phillip also starting at 6am Fridays. Only one group/speed for this bunch, usually it's mediumish to fast depending on who's on the front.

Saturday morning has the infamous 'Bakery Bunch' which I'm led to believe is basically a hammerfest all the way - I've never done it personally so can't comment in detail. Starts from Bike Shed Phillip at 6.30am I think? (Paging Mr Golf!) One group for this ride, keep up or get dropped!

Pedal Power have a Sunday ride leaving from Dickson College at 8am, fast, medium and slow groups, routes vary each week and each group usually does a different route.

Neumo

Postby Neumo » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:58 am

HAKS wrote:A bit of info of what you are looking for might help. Bike type, average speed, hills or flat, distance?
Yeh sorry about that. Road bike, average speed at least above 30km/h, dont care about whether its hills or flats and at least above 40km in distance.
mitch

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:53 pm

Neumo wrote:
HAKS wrote:A bit of info of what you are looking for might help. Bike type, average speed, hills or flat, distance?
Yeh sorry about that. Road bike, average speed at least above 30km/h, dont care about whether its hills or flats and at least above 40km in distance.
mitch
No worries, i think everyone else has already covered the options though. Enjoy your stay :)

s-s-a

Postby s-s-a » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:18 pm

There is also a bunch ride starting 8am at Scrivener Dam on all Sundays and public holidays. A fairly serious ride for fit roadies, usually with options for extra (or lesser) distance.

Steph

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:39 pm

Ross wrote:Bilbys also do a Wednesday morning ride from Dickson pool, 6am start (fast, medium and slow groups).

Saturday morning has the infamous 'Bakery Bunch' which I'm led to believe is basically a hammerfest all the way - I've never done it personally so can't comment in detail. Starts from Bike Shed Phillip at 6.30am I think? (Paging Mr Golf!) One group for this ride, keep up or get dropped!
Yeah, Bilby's arent too bad, but they always just stay same pace. Its good for getting some K's in the legs, but no real push for training.

'Infamous' Bakery Bunch?? Not sure why... They are pretty fast. Usually averages between 34-39km/h, but thats not that fast, is it? I can keep up easily, so its manageable. The tough bit is sprinting the 10kms between Barton hwy and Federal Hwy, especially along horse park drive. They step up a gear or two, and I usually get dropped in the last 2kms of the sprint. I think the guys on the front are A graders and there are usually some Drapac Porsche team riders. Its great fun, though. Occasionally dubious road manners and etiquette, but for the most legal and safe. Just dont expect them to stop if you puncture or have a light stack.

auskonrad

Postby auskonrad » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:49 am

So I was coming down Fed Hwy, over the Majura Rd overpass and down towards the Formula One motel, and I saw a bunch ride of sorts (Wednesday) at about 6.30am-ish.

From my googling-kung fu, would I be right in saying this is the 'Bilbys' bunch ride?

I've only ever been on one bunch ride, as an invite to Vikings and I sort of liked it in a bemused sort of MTBer way. From my reading, Vikings don't really want you on their rides if you aren't a member due to insurance issues (which is fair enough). I'm not a Vikings or CCC member, and I don't see myself signing up anytime soon... although crits interest me a little (another discussion).

Is Bilbys happy for randoms to show up? And randoms new to bunch riding at that? (Though definitely not new to riding)

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:34 am

Wouldn't have been Bliblies. They went west to Golf Course in Holt.

Bilbies are more than happy for newbies/ outsiders to turn up. I have been riding bilbies wednesdays since December last year and am never likely to be a member. They have multiple groups catering for different speed abilities and are very friendly. Best introduce yourself and tell Gary what your experience in groups is like.

I haven't experienced Vikings putting up walls to non members. Training rides are just that. None of the Vikings riders would be covered with insurance to any big degree, either.

There are heaps of rides out there, though. Joining one will inform you of others.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:07 pm

I think the Vikings were doing a ride this morning out to OFH, a semi-regular recovery ride thing they do.

It's relatively new thing that the Vikings are requiring riders that participate in Friday "Norman" ride from ANU to have a CA licence (dunno if Vets licence is acceptable).

auskonrad

Postby auskonrad » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:48 pm

Thanks for the info - albeit conflicting info re Friday Normans rides.

But I think I will just try and go along next time and speak to an 'organiser'.

Anyone here go to those that I can yell out to and say hi? I'm mainly a MTB so will have hairy legs to match and will most likely be a pariah!

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:14 pm

Ross would know way more than me, as he is a Viking (nicht war?).

Bilbies are still fine without a licence. They have a couple of rides per week. There are a couple of rides from Woden on Friday, one of which (the one that leaves at 6:01, rather than 6:00) is fairly brutal in pace. The earlier ride is a nice relaxed pace, no licence needed.

As for MTB hairy legs, I am a roadie (mainly) with occasional visits to MTB meccas like the Scott, who has hairy legs. The euro cool rules stipulate that hairy legs are OK provided you can dish out pain. Thats something I am working at. They also say facial hair is unacceptable unless it is a trimmed goatee... I am a misfit.

Cruiserman

Postby Cruiserman » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:39 am

mrgolf wrote: I am a misfit.
Ill remember that quote for awards come Friday next.........
2008 Specialized SWorks Roubaix SL - Zipps - Campag - Nuff Said
1986 Spokesman Model 11 Racing - Campag Nuvo Record - Stronglight - Shimano 600

mrgolf

Postby mrgolf » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:10 pm

i don't think that is even worthy of a nomination, but ok...

Robdog

Postby Robdog » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:38 am

mrgolf wrote:i don't think that is even worthy of a nomination, but ok...
Common knowledge, eh?
2019 BMC TimeMachine R01
201x S-Works Shiv
2009 Avanti Cadent Team

auskonrad

Postby auskonrad » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:23 pm

So which club should I join guys? Vikings or CCC? I'm not a vet so they're out...

what's the overall vibe of each club?? Do they have stereo types? I'm mainly looking for an easy going crowd that is welcoming to new people and not hating on us MTBers. I'll try and dish the pain with my hairy legs on the hills.... I'll do my best on my 9-speed alu :P

Sorry for all the q's... $270 is a lot to drop... a lot more than an MTBA licence that's for sure.

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:20 am

Vikings have an online forum which appears quite good. Lots of race details, training rides, general chit chat which is always good.

auskonrad

Postby auskonrad » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:21 am

Bought my Viking membership last night - going to rock along this morning to the North side ANU group ride. Say hello to me if you see me - I'll have a silver Avanti with a jersey with greek lettering (aqua and white). My name is Matt. :)

skull

Postby skull » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:36 pm

Thread revive.

I move to Canberra on the 11 March, so will be needing to join up on these bunch rides.

Have had a look at the CCC and VCC websites, I am a masters age rider but have an open licence with the Defence Force Cycling Club. Racing C grade here in Tassie at the moment.

Pretty keen to get there and meet some riders.

Going to be a bit different to the riding here in Tassie I think.