First Road Bike: Reid Falco?

forumzuo

First Road Bike: Reid Falco?

Postby forumzuo » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:09 am

Hi guys,

First time poster, please be gently. As a novice, I have been reading this website religiously the last few days and found it to be a wealth of info. I have recently decided to take up cycling after a long abscence for fitness/fun. I have previously only used mountain bikes and have decided to try my hand at a road bike. I have been looking for an entry level bike to test the waters. My budget is around $1k (I know it's not much but it's all I can afford at the moment and I can upgrade later if I get into it). I have looked extensively at the second hand market (bikeexchange.com.au, ebay, gumtree) but all the bikes are either out of my price range or the wrong size (58 cm).

I have come across the Reid Falco for $900 new which seems a remarkable price for a 105 groupset.

I have tried to find a review of this bike but only found an intro by brendanwilding which didn't really go into how the bike fared later down the track.
Mulger bill did a review on Reid Cycles and the Aquila bike and was generally positive despite caveating that you get what you pay for.

My question (as a novice) is: is there anything I should be aware of/concerned about this bike given the remarkable price for a new bike with the 105 groupset (crappy frame, unlisted components)? It's sort of like a "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably isn't...."
Should I focus on getting the best groupset I can afford or have the frames/wheels/brand reputation as my priority?

I dont really care for brand names as long as the bike will suit me as a leisure bike for weekday/weekend rides ~20-30kms.

I'm aware of the previous spammer threads about Reid cycles and would like to state that I have no affiliation with them. I would genuinely like know your advice/opinions on what I should try and aim for as my first road bike.

Cheers guys,

forumzuo

From their website

http://www.reidcycles.com.au/product_in ... ducts_id=3

Frame: REID 6061 Alloy Frame
Fork: 700C carbon fibre
Front Derailleur:SHIMANO 105 5700
Rear Derailleur: SHIMANO105 5700 10 Speed
Shifters: SHIMANO 105 5700 20 Speed
Crankset: SHIMANO 105 5700
Bottom Bracket: SHIMANO 105 5700
Chain: SHIMANO 105 5700
Cassette: SHIMANO 105 5700 10 Speed
Brakes: SHIMANO 105 5700
Brake Levers: SHIMANO 105 5700
Hubs: SHIMANO 2200
Rims: ALEX DA-16 double wall alloy
Spoke: 14G Stainless Black
Tires: Kenda 700 x 23C
Pedals: VP Platform pedals
Stem: FSA Alloy
Seat Post: FSA Alloy
Saddle: VELO racing saddle
Handlebars: FSA alloy
Weight: 9.7kg

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: First Road Bike: Reid Falco?

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:27 pm

In all honesty, you'll have to audition one. I took the prototype around the block and it felt OK.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

brendanwilding

Postby brendanwilding » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:45 am

forumzuo wrote:I have tried to find a review of this bike but only found an intro by brendanwilding which didn't really go into how the bike fared later down the track.
Hi furumzuo,

I'm still alive, still riding this bke and yes I'm not a bot! I never really got around to writing the review but maybe one day...

Anyway I can give you some advice on the Reid Falco. This was the first bike I've ever purchased to get into riding. I purchased mine around the start of the year and have been riding it every weekday to/from work (~35km total), speedo is around 6000km at 8mo. Here are some issues:

- I got the one with Alex rims. At about 2 months in some of the spokes went so on advice I decided to get Fulcrum 7s. I would recommend you get better rims with it (they offer Aksiums, lighter and faster hub).
- I had a problem with the rear (right) shifter at about 6 mo. The cable had snapped so I took it in and they were quite busy so I said I can put the cable in. I installed it and it still wouldn't shift so I took it in again and they said the shifter was damaged by me putting the cable in and not covered by warranty so they put a new shift in for $300. Not 100% happy with that - you can get both L/R 105 shifter for less than $300.
- The front folk has become quite squeaky lately. I don't know if this is normal or not.
- From the start I use 105 cleats which I got from Wiggle, have a look into this if you will be riding a lot.
- I also now own a Merida Speeder 2 (about 4mo old) which has Tiagra groupset. I use this for wetter weather and more offroad. The Falco's 105 groupset is very much nicer, frame is light and more responsive.
- The 105 Brakes are pretty weak in the rain. My Merida has v-brakes which work very well in the wet.
- When I had problems with my Merida front derailure I took it back to Goldcross cycles where they did 'work' on it but such a shoddy job I went to eBay and got second hand front/rear for $25 and installed the front.

Overall I would highly recommend the Falco. Be aware of the warranty limitations (basically no warranty) and dodgy bike service. Be prepared to work on the bike (unless you want to spend $$$ on service), get component on Wiggle/eBay pre-emptively (spare inner tubes, spare tyres, spare chain etc.). Your arse will hurt for the first week and your quads for even longer - but its worth it! I would call the Falco a high entry level bike and I will probably ride it for another 12mo. before I build my upgrade. This bike is a fast workhorse and I overtake bikes costing any times more!

Good luck,
Brendan

forumzuo

Postby forumzuo » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:03 pm

Thanks a lot Shaun and Brendan for your advice. I think I'll head into the shop somtime this weekend and have a look/test drive.