Managing Neck Pain

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Downhill

Managing Neck Pain

Postby Downhill » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:49 am

When I rediscovered cycling about 12 months ago, I was plagued by neck strain after riding only a few hundred metres. At around the 30 km mark the strain was a problem that couldn't be solved by mere stretching. It limited my range.

Then I discovered that with the seat correctly positioned, I felt that I was reaching just a tad too far forward when gripping the handlebars. My arms were slightly over extended. Consequently any shock from the front wheel was being transmitted through my wrists, elbows and shoulders to my neck.

Two weeks ago I replaced my 150mm headset for a 100 mm headset. Bingo! No more more neck problems, even when riding in the drop position. My range doubled overnight. Shortening the headset transferred some of the load from my hands and arms to my lower back muscles. I can now ride with "soft hands" and relaxed arms & shoulders.

Obviously this solution won't be appropriate for everyone. Always check with you GP or physio if you suffer from neck pain. There's also a lot of sense in having a proper "bike fit" done.

Previously I trawled the net to investigate causes for neck pain while cycling. I didn't find anything about the length of the headset as being a contributing factor, so I thought I'd post here in case any one else was having the same problem.
Today's effort = Tomorrows reward.
2010 Oppy C6

scotto

Re: Managing Neck Pain

Postby scotto » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:22 pm

good post.
bike fitting is overlooked by many, but like anything else. we make sure everything else we buy fits, but often overlook the bike. if you get pain cycling but no where else, the default solution is pretty much "bike fit"....

sumgy

Postby sumgy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:39 am

I am getting neck strain just thinking about using a 150mm stem.

johnm_oz

Postby johnm_oz » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:17 am

I've just bought my first decent bike (Trek Madone 3.1) and started riding. I've had a double fusion in my neck, so was worried about this exact subject. The shop set me up with shorter than normal stem- not sure of exact sizes, and a slightly more upright posture. I did my firt 'real' ride - about 40K a couple of weeks ago and I was very pleased with the outcome, nothing a half hour with the heatpack wouldn't fix. I'm hoping that as I get more K's under my belt it'll keep getting better.

Cheers
JM

Clubagreenie

Postby Clubagreenie » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:10 pm

Bike fit and get a POSTURE POLE
"My father touched me like that once. To this day, he still has to wear orthopedic shirts."

At the end of the day , it is the Indian , not the arrow .. so ride what you want

LG

Postby LG » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:45 pm

Clubagreenie wrote:Bike fit and get a POSTURE POLE
Bike fit and get a rolled up blanket to lie on. Cheaper.
LG = Low Gear

Clubagreenie

Postby Clubagreenie » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:23 am

LG wrote:
Clubagreenie wrote:Bike fit and get a POSTURE POLE
Bike fit and get a rolled up blanket to lie on. Cheaper.

Slightly different :roll:
"My father touched me like that once. To this day, he still has to wear orthopedic shirts."

At the end of the day , it is the Indian , not the arrow .. so ride what you want