Super bright small rear light

SeanB

Re: Super bright small rear light

Postby SeanB » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:35 pm

pretty happy with my dinotte lights. gets a noticeably different reaction from people driving.
this pic is from their website

car123

Postby car123 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:18 pm

That pic look good!!! :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:41 pm

jcjordan wrote:Give this one a try, even had a driver complain about how bright it was :D

http://www.niteflux.com/Products_RedZone4.aspx
Useless if I can't bolt it securely on my rear rack or seatpost :|
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

steve-waters

Postby steve-waters » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:17 am

Bolt securely as in not get stolen or so it does not bounce - as if it boucing the point of this little guy is that it does not need to be directional like the others (maybe telling you what you already know but just checking)
Roadie:Merida Scultura Team 2017 Lintaman shoes mid-foot SpeedPlays
MTB:TWE 29er, Fox Terralogic, XT, 3T and TWE wheels

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:45 pm

Hi

I have a couple of Radbot 1000 which I am pretty happy with. I have had two motorists give me positive feedback on them; they where impressed with the brigthness.

I also came across a guy who was riding with one back in August. This is the video of it in action ...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agPsdv9H ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

Andrew

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:11 am

I also used the radbot, but I was sick and tired of changing the batteries...
Found that to be a weak spot as the light dies without warning, leaving you with nothing... :cry:
(riding in the dark for over an hour is not something I wanna do without lights...)

So I exchanged my commuter lights from the radbot for ay-ups. :shock:
With the red caps on , they are not as extremely bright like SeanB dinotte lights.
But defenatly bright enough to get enough room.. :wink:
For me the key factor reliability, as the ay-up is wel know for it's reliability.
The brightness is nice bonus.. :D

The radbot is stil great for the roadie on early starts...
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:36 am

I've been using a Serfas TL-2100 for a few years now and think its a great light. 8)
Maybe a little too bright and annoying for the folk behind but like I say:
"I maybe slow, but I'm in front of you!" :lol:

http://www.backcountry.com/serfas-tl-21 ... ID=1709695
It has 9 leds and Gets up to 90 hours of burn time from 2 "AA" batteries
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:42 pm

Dr_Mutley wrote:I used to use radbots, but changed to these as I think they are a little brighter, and certainly a little smaller and more aesthetically attractive...

http://www.this link is broken/smart-lunar-r2-rear-light/

I've seen these around locally and they match the radbot for brightness (IMHO) but don't have the reflector and aren't as sturdy. I was riding recently and we went over a big bump and the lady with one of these had it fall out of the case and go rattling down the road. Of course the screwed together radbot was just fine. :)

@Aushiker... I reckon the strobe function on the radbot is even more eye catching. I only run it on the pulsing mode (in video) in a bunch ride where I don't want the people behind me throwing an epileptic fit.

Dr_Mutley

Super bright small rear light

Postby Dr_Mutley » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:02 am

Comedian wrote:
Dr_Mutley wrote:I used to use radbots, but changed to these as I think they are a little brighter, and certainly a little smaller and more aesthetically attractive...

I've seen these around locally and they match the radbot for brightness (IMHO) but don't have the reflector and aren't as sturdy. I was riding recently and we went over a big bump and the lady with one of these had it fall out of the case and go rattling down the road. Of course the screwed together radbot was just fine. :)

@Aushiker... I reckon the strobe function on the radbot is even more eye catching. I only run it on the pulsing mode (in video) in a bunch ride where I don't want the people behind me throwing an epileptic fit.
I dont think the big ugly reflector does much on the radbot, from when I've been behind one... I could see how the smart could come out of the back case if it wasn't put into it correctly after changing batteries etc.... U need to make sure the rubber seal is perfectly in place before snapping the case back on... If it not then it will come part...
Last edited by Dr_Mutley on Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:53 am

Dr_Mutley wrote: I do t think the big ugly reflector does much on the radbot, from when I've been behind one... I could see how the smart could come out of the back case if it wasn't put into it correctly after changing batteries etc.... U need to make sure the rubber seal is perfectly in place before snapping the case back on... If it not then it will come part...
But the reflector won't do much if you are only shining a bike light at it. A pair of car headlights is a whole different issue though. ;)

jillybean

Postby jillybean » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:41 am

I prefer the PDW Danger Zone over the Radbot. So bright I had to angle it down a little after requests from others in our group who had ridden behind me. Doesn't have the built in reflector of the Radbot though.
1987 Colnago Master Piu | 1994 Trek OCLV Carbon |2013 Colnago CLX 3.0 Di2

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:33 am

Comedian wrote: I've seen these around locally and they match the radbot for brightness (IMHO) but don't have the reflector and aren't as sturdy. I was riding recently and we went over a big bump and the lady with one of these had it fall out of the case and go rattling down the road. Of course the screwed together radbot was just fine. :)
I've had this happen with PB SF/Smart clone lights.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:18 pm

Ross wrote:
Comedian wrote: I've seen these around locally and they match the radbot for brightness (IMHO) but don't have the reflector and aren't as sturdy. I was riding recently and we went over a big bump and the lady with one of these had it fall out of the case and go rattling down the road. Of course the screwed together radbot was just fine. :)
I've had this happen with PB SF/Smart clone lights.
It looks ok. It's only half as bright as the radbot 1000 but has a longer runtime because of it. I'll try one when/if one of the radbots fails.

TonyL

Postby TonyL » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:35 pm

I have recently bought a 1 watt SuperFlash, Its small attractive and very bright
I have always used a half watt SuperFlash and swear by them, build quality water proofness and durability, this one seems a lot brighter, same quality, this is a poor photo of them side by side, but still an indication

Sydguy

Postby Sydguy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:47 pm

How do people attach the Radbot 1000 to their roadie seat post?

There are two plastic mounting clamps, small and large but they don't fit around the aero shaped seat post.

Wonder if the CatEye spare seat clamp will work with the Radbot... that or just return the light :(

JM

Pushy

Postby Pushy » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:16 pm

Sydguy wrote:How do people attach the Radbot 1000 to their roadie seat post?

There are two plastic mounting clamps, small and large but they don't fit around the aero shaped seat post.

Wonder if the CatEye spare seat clamp will work with the Radbot... that or just return the light :(

JM
Check you LBS, they may have some reflectors off aero seat post that weight weenies refuse to carry. They may even let you have a couple for free. or just bodgie up a zip tie.
Les
06' Giant TCR C1
08' Colnago CLX
07' Apollo Swift

VW Jetta Diesel 5.5l/100km

sogood

Postby sogood » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:01 pm

Looks good and thanks for the recommendation. I like the twin 1/2 watt design. Twice the energy. Found an eBay option at a good price.

What's the mounting like? Does it have a reliable clip for belts and saddle bag?
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:21 pm

sogood wrote:
Looks good and thanks for the recommendation. I like the twin 1/2 watt design. Twice the energy. Found an eBay option at a good price.

What's the mounting like? Does it have a reliable clip for belts and saddle bag?
I'll give a vote for these as well.

One of the flash modes is a randomly variable one, which I think attracts attention better than the standard repetitive pattern. I got mine from Ribble for bugger all, and about same price as the ebay option.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:55 am

I have a Dinotte - and love it.

I have it on the 5 quick beats, pause, 5 quick beats, pause mode.

Am thinking of getting new red lights for 3 nephews. I clicked on one of the Radbolt links to cell and they're cheap at the moment. The changing over of batteries would give me the pips though. all my lights are rechargable and i think they're cheaper that way (after the initial purchase).

Purt

Postby Purt » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:48 pm

I literally just got these in the mail today:

http://www.this link is broken/cateye-tl-ld110 ... ear-light/

http://www.this link is broken/fibre-flare-ult ... ht-single/

The cateye isn't by any means small, but it actually looks alot smaller irl than on wiggle. From the quick muck around with them I think this will be more than enough to be seen.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:55 pm

Purt wrote:I literally just got these in the mail today:
Why? Speaking as a car driver, I find those bar light pretty useless. They lack the intensity to make it standout.
Bianchi, Ridley, Tern, Montague and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.

Trepidious

Postby Trepidious » Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:53 am

sogood wrote:
Why? Speaking as a car driver, I find those bar light pretty useless. They lack the intensity to make it standout.
I've just bought a 2x set of these. Individually they're average but they do stand out as a back-up light. I'll post a review up with preety pictures soon...

Purt

Postby Purt » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:46 pm

sogood wrote:
Used it this morning, I'd say it stands out pretty well, especially on flash mode. I bought the cateye to be seen from a longer way out, the flare is more to be noticed closer as the cateye doesn't have enough spread.

mogwaiboi

Postby mogwaiboi » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:23 am

Merry Xmas

Has anyone tried one of these bad boys http://www.this link is broken/Cygolite-Ho ... ar-Light_2?
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:50 am

sogood wrote:
We use the Fibre Flare, we do not use them as a rear light. They are mounted under the top tube and give excellent side on visability.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *