Thinking about a bent/trike

Baalzamon

Thinking about a bent/trike

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:31 pm

I'm thinking of getting a bent or a trike sometime in the next 6 months. I have test ridden a few trikes to date so far. But what I've found is even if my cadence is 80-90rpm I'm kicking the rear of the trike around. Is this an issue with the trikes or tried, my riding style, or any other ideas?
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

rkelsen

Re: Thinking about a bent/trike

Postby rkelsen » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:51 pm

The real question to ask: Is your beard long enough?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:56 pm

rkelsen wrote:The real question to ask: Is your beard long enough?
Well I did have 14 days growth about a month ago, now it's 7hrs and growing :)

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:30 pm

You may have to go to a real 'bent forum to get an answer. Haven't seen many 'bent people posting on here recently.

Edit: Sorry to the sensitive. :)
Last edited by Nobody on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:12 pm

wow, i wonder why bent riders don't post here? :roll:

Hi Stuart

I think you are describing what is often referred to as pedal steer.

I believe the general consensus is it is worse in direct steering trikes, but can be quite noticeable in indirect steer ones as well. What I have read is that it generally disappears after a period of riding the trike.

My experience is that when I first started riding the GTR it was not really noticeable, but I was aware of it. It did disappear after a short time. I notice though that if I am tired and ride no hands that the trike will weave. Proper pedalling ie "in circles" seems the way to stop it entirely. I know my Greenspeeds with their bushes in the steering and kingpins tend to dampen the steering and probably absorb it a bit too.

I know Craig has some new model trikes in, with direct and indirect steering, don't know if you have tried those yet?

You are welcome to have a crack on mine, maybe stop me on the path one afternoon :D

cheers

glen
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:53 pm

G'day Stuart,

It seems if you mash down on the pedals you get the effect you mention. Also I notice some people move their bodies side to side as they pedal. A new rider might also without noticing it move the steering in sympathy partly due to holding on too hard and not relaxing.

The trick is to keep the cadence up (around 80 or so is good), not too high a gear and try to pedal smoothly in circles so to speak. You should also try to relax you grip on the steering. Use a very light hold and keep the body still.

After a little practice you will find the pedal steer will disappear and you will wonder what all the fuss was about. I know both Helen and I had the problem to begin with but now I would have to work to produce it.

John

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:04 pm

chuckchunder wrote: Hi Stuart

..... Proper pedalling ie "in circles" seems the way to stop it entirely.....
+1

You should take Glen up on his offer. He is the Guru of Trike here in WA. :D :D
Is pedal steer more noticeable with larger rear wheels compared to smaller rear wheels?
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:49 pm

bradwoodbr wrote:
chuckchunder wrote: Hi Stuart

..... Proper pedalling ie "in circles" seems the way to stop it entirely.....
+1

You should take Glen up on his offer. He is the Guru of Trike here in WA. :D :D
Is pedal steer more noticeable with larger rear wheels compared to smaller rear wheels?
I am intending too, sent him a pm already. However I'm not sure when I'll be back on the bike for a commute. My back is protesting if I ride at the moment and I'm seeing someone about it tonight so might now soon. These are long term plans tho as if I was to get a trike, it would be a greenspeed. And it would be fun to see Glen on 2 wheels :)
He would get to ride my thorn and me his trike. Both rohloff equipped.

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:25 pm

Baalzamon wrote: I'm kicking the rear of the trike around. Is this an issue with the trikes or tried, my riding style, or any other ideas?
Hi Baalzamon: Comment from a tricyclist from the other side of the sandpit.....My experience with 1st time trikers is that the pedal steer is related to the shoulder and arm compensation to the front wheel that is just natural when you're riding a conventional upright bike. If you consciously relax (to the extent of steering with the tips of your fingers) then you might find it all goes away.

In any case, welcome to three wheels - have you decided your particular steed yet?

Cheers

Alan
Alan
BentCyclist

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:13 pm

TrikeTragic wrote:
Baalzamon wrote: I'm kicking the rear of the trike around. Is this an issue with the trikes or tried, my riding style, or any other ideas?
Hi Baalzamon: Comment from a tricyclist from the other side of the sandpit.....My experience with 1st time trikers is that the pedal steer is related to the shoulder and arm compensation to the front wheel that is just natural when you're riding a conventional upright bike. If you consciously relax (to the extent of steering with the tips of your fingers) then you might find it all goes away.

In any case, welcome to three wheels - have you decided your particular steed yet?

Cheers

Alan
Well when I was trying them out with JustBents, I did take my hands off the steerer and it was still doing it, so it's my legs. Even took my cadence to approx 100 and still happened. But I think it is a learning curve.
Particular steed is a Greenspeed most likely. Possibly a GTO would be my ultimate trike with a rohloff hub, but may opt for a GT3 or similar.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:05 am

BZ just be careful when testing shop trikes as none have the front wheel alignment is done to perfection so front wheel shudder will be there. Ruling out pedal steer is not only smooth pedalling but also front end set-up along with fine tuning. Also the rear wheel on trikes flex allot along with the rear frame so that adds to the feeling. One other point most trikes come with cheap ball ends so replacing them with quality of the bat will eliminate slop in the front steering rods etc.

Ricky

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:02 am

Mind you I'm considering a bachetta as well, so it is not just trikes.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:41 am

2 wheels vs 3 wheels, what is the better between them?

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:07 am

All depends on what you're trying to achieve.

Bikes are faster, trikes are more fun.

Trikes are better for very long-distance touring (only just) because at the end of the day, you've brought your lounge chair with you for the camp ... (and you can't fall sideways when going so slowly that walking up the hill is quicker. :roll: :D )

Trikes often have two differing wheel sizes (so you cary more tubes) and you have 50% more chance of getting a puncture.

Trikes brake better than any other pedal-powered vehicle: they have two front brakes.

Bacchettas sit as high as cars and are very visible on the road. No flag required.

Both beat headwinds. Neither can climb a gutter on your commute though. :(

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:25 pm

Well this is where my thinking is leaning towards

Bachetta for commuting/Audax and Sat/Sun rides
Trike for touring as well as the odd commute and Audax. Would still keep my Thorn for rough tracks etc

Problem, I have bikes I need to get rid of 1st :)

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:53 pm

If you want to compare 'bent bike vs 'bent trike, if you're up in my area, drop round for a chat. I've got a SWB Greenspeed bike as well as two Greenspeed trikes, 20"/26" and 16" wheels all the way round. As long as you're 175-178 cm and under 100 kg. (Bear in mind both trikes have got e-motors and batteries, so they're much heavier than normal.)

With the pedal flicking, I've had it on all my 'bents, but it's really noticeable on the SWB bike. I don't find it a problem, because although the bike "flicks" from side to side, it generally keeps going the direction I'm wanting to go. I suspect it goes with the 'bent turf, but unlike the beard, it doesn't seem to be optional. :lol:

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:23 pm

Joeblake wrote:If you want to compare 'bent bike vs 'bent trike, if you're up in my area, drop round for a chat. I've got a SWB Greenspeed bike as well as two Greenspeed trikes, 20"/26" and 16" wheels all the way round. As long as you're 175-178 cm and under 100 kg. (Bear in mind both trikes have got e-motors and batteries, so they're much heavier than normal.)

With the pedal flicking, I've had it on all my 'bents, but it's really noticeable on the SWB bike. I don't find it a problem, because although the bike "flicks" from side to side, it generally keeps going the direction I'm wanting to go. I suspect it goes with the 'bent turf, but unlike the beard, it doesn't seem to be optional. :lol:

Joe
I'm 183cm about 110kg, got an email back from flyingfurniture today which had the bent I was thinking of and a possible trike candidate as well. Looking at the Bachetta Giro 26" and the cattrike speed along with the greenspeed GT3

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:37 pm

Hmm. You'd probably find all mine a bit cramped. :lol:

But if feel you'd like to have a look and ask questions, by all means. I've got a GT3.

Joe
To acquire immunity to eloquence is of the utmost importance to the citizens of a democracy
Bertrand Russell

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:55 pm

John Lewis wrote:G'day Stuart,

It seems if you mash down on the pedals you get the effect you mention. Also I notice some people move their bodies side to side as they pedal. A new rider might also without noticing it move the steering in sympathy partly due to holding on too hard and not relaxing.

The trick is to keep the cadence up (around 80 or so is good), not too high a gear and try to pedal smoothly in circles so to speak. You should also try to relax you grip on the steering. Use a very light hold and keep the body still.

After a little practice you will find the pedal steer will disappear and you will wonder what all the fuss was about. I know both Helen and I had the problem to begin with but now I would have to work to produce it.

John
Hey John

Giving you heads up, I might be down that way in a few weeks time for one weekend. Heading down with Clubagreenie so he can get his Bont's sorted out at Passmore cycles, so if you want we can catch up and show clubagreenie what the bent fuss is all about :)

chuckchunder

Postby chuckchunder » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:33 pm

Kalgrm wrote:All depends on what you're trying to achieve.

Bikes are faster, trikes are more fun.

Trikes are better for very long-distance touring (only just) because at the end of the day, you've brought your lounge chair with you for the camp ... (and you can't fall sideways when going so slowly that walking up the hill is quicker. :roll: :D )

Trikes often have two differing wheel sizes (so you cary more tubes) and you have 50% more chance of getting a puncture.

Trikes brake better than any other pedal-powered vehicle: they have two front brakes.

Bacchettas sit as high as cars and are very visible on the road. No flag required.

Both beat headwinds. Neither can climb a gutter on your commute though. :(

Cheers,
Graeme
another advantage of a touring trike is that you can ride off the bitumen without worrying about the lip or the gravel on the shoulder, and the bow wave of passing trucks has absolutely no effect, so you just get to enjoy the pull after they pass.........

i regularly ride up and down kerbs on my commute. you can't do this on a GT3 though, they don't have the ground clearance. the Road might be better than a Speed - Road has three wheels in common 406 size, lots more tyre options compared to the Speed's 451 rear and 349 fronts. Road also has an inch more clearance. I notice the GT3 actually has more clearance than the Speed....... the first thing I did when test riding a GT3 was ride off a kerb outside the shop (something I'd done minutes before on my GTR) and grounded the damn thing :oops: :mrgreen:

after nearly ten years I still feel like a ten year old on a go-kart every time I ride the trike....
"We have thousands of miles of cycling infrastructure, we just need to get the cars off them....." US advocate

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:55 am

Baalzamon wrote: Hey John

Giving you heads up, I might be down that way in a few weeks time for one weekend. Heading down with Clubagreenie so he can get his Bont's sorted out at Passmore cycles, so if you want we can catch up and show clubagreenie what the bent fuss is all about :)
Think you have my phone No. If not I'll pm.
Give us a call when you get here and we can arrange to meet up.

John

Joeblake

Postby Joeblake » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:58 am

The 16" wheels on my GT3 don't give much clearance at all. Before the rain came and solidified all my dust which was my driveway, I would regularly have my rear derailleur grounding in the dust if I forgot to change onto one of the middle-of-the-cluster cogs when I came in. It isn't a problem now that the ground has firmed, but I'd probably like to have 20" wheels if I had the choice.

With the GRT 20"/26" riding over a kerb (down) isn't a great problem, but obviously you can't "bunny hop" up it. :mrgreen:

Joe
Bertrand Russell

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:55 am

Flyingfurniture got back to me. He is recommending the Bachetta Giro 26" which can take 700c wheels as well, and the Cattrike speed or 700. Do have to watch clearance issues now that you guys have pointed it out as I do have a flat speedhump on my commute and currently tree roots on Roe Hwy psp. 20" wheels should fair me fine I think

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:09 pm

That Bachetta is the one I own. If you want to try a large frame fitted with 700c wheels, give me a yell and you can have a go on it. (No problems with clearance on this baby! :) )

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

bradwoodbr

Postby bradwoodbr » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:09 pm

There is a 2008 at model for sale on the ozhpv for sale site.

Save some money for cool riding gear.

http://www.ozhpv.org.au/forsale/forsale.html
Optima Baron Raptor
Low Racer - Recumbent
http://lowracerrider.blogspot.com/
Rotovelo velomobile