your Camera when touring?

rifraf

Re: your Camera when touring?

Postby rifraf » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:16 pm

Aushiker wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Andrew ebay is another source for both models.
Yep, search already in place, but would like to have a reference price :)

Andrew
These guys are a well known and respected grey importer who handle their own warranties (I think).
Many on the overclockers.com.au photography forum seem to have dealt with them favorably.
http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/sto ... oduct=3044
Hope this is helpful
Cheers
Aidan
Last edited by rifraf on Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:22 pm

rifraf wrote:
Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
These guys are a well known and respected grey importer who handle their own warranties.
Many on the overclockers.com.au photography forum seem to have dealt with them favorably.
http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/sto ... oduct=3044
Hope this is helpful
Cheers
Aidan
Thanks Aidan. That looks like a good price.

Andrew
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:20 pm

Hi Andrew,
just to be clear - I havnt yet dealt with them myself. :!:
Their name does come up heaps on the overclockers.com.au site with regards
to happy campers saving money.
Some feel safer dealing with their local camera shop for warranty issues whilst others
are happy with dealing with DWI.
You'll have to make up your own mind if this is worth it. :idea:
I think I'd be happy giving them a whirl.
As I said in a previous post I'm quietly contemplating a Nikon D7000 and if buying new
it will be most likely via DWI. :D
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:27 pm

Hi

A post has just come up in the Bike Forums on this very topic along with a link to a Path Less Pedaled post on camera choice for touring.

Adds a little more to the mix.

Andrew
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:12 pm

Aushiker wrote:Hi

A post has just come up in the Bike Forums on this very topic along with a link to a Path Less Pedaled post on camera choice for touring.

Adds a little more to the mix.

Andrew
There are some lengthy discussions about cameras on CGOAB. And there is also an interesting forum thread comparing of the output from the LX3 and Canon 5D. You'll quickly come to understand that the LX3/LX5 are seriously capable cameras.

It's quite a jump from a compact LX3 to a Micro 4/3 camera with interchangeable lenses. If this path is chosen look at the Lumix GF1 and the Olympus Pen series, but there is of course a step upwards in bulk and price.

The LX3 is probably becoming difficult to get now, but the LX5 is the logical alternative. If you want to make me a sensible offer for my pristine LX3 I might be tempted to upgrade myself :).

And a final point - no matter how good the camera is, photography is a creative art, and unless you are a natural it's something that has to be learned. It's easy to be blind-sided by all the technical features on modern cameras, but the result can easily be that you produce technically excellent, but uninteresting images. I recommend the Digital Photograpy School as a free resource, and I usually look up this page on composition for a refresher before I go on tour.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

jemo27

Postby jemo27 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:39 pm

gregmacc wrote:
jemo27 wrote: so I tried one without a lens and I'm not as happy with it.
...not quite sure what you mean here ... do you mean you tried a camera with a fixed focal length lens, not a zoom lens like your previous camera?
I think so.

I'm not sure if its because the new camera is only 5 megapixels rather than 10 megapixels and only cost me $100. I just worry about the fixed lens getting dust on it.

I just don't want to buy a more expensive similair types of fixed lens Camera, if the lens gets dirty.

the other worry i have is about rechargable batteries. who wants to carry a charger for something you may uses once a month or even longer time. I prefer using batterie si can buy.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:58 pm

jemo27 wrote:the other worry i have is about rechargable batteries. who wants to carry a charger for something you may uses once a month or even longer time. I prefer using batterie si can buy.
:?

When I go on tour I use my camera most days. The journey is all about discovering new places, and capturing good images is a part of documenting the journey - for myself and to show others.

I used to worry about batteries and charging/buying them in remote locations. My first digital camera was powered by AAs so I could buy replacement batteries. However with my recent cameras they have internal rechargable batteries and a charger. Even with frequent photo taking the battery will last for 5-7 days. Generally sometime in that period you'll come across a convenient power point.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:36 pm

Aushiker wrote:

Andrew
Ah ok Andrew then for Australia this will find the cheapest price in the Country to give you a starting price just enter the model in the search box.

http://www.staticice.com.au/index.html

gregmacc

Postby gregmacc » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:52 pm

jemo27 wrote:I just don't want to buy a more expensive similair types of fixed lens Camera, if the lens gets dirty.

the other worry i have is about rechargable batteries. who wants to carry a charger for something you may uses once a month or even longer time. I prefer using batterie si can buy.
Are you able to tell us the exact model of the new camera? ... I would have thought that if you were on tour for a month before needing to recharge a battery you can't be taking many photos ... especially when using an older camera with an older technology battery ... I personally have never had a problem with carrying a charger. I do take a lot of shots though and would be doing some charging within 5 to 6 days on most trips.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:04 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Ah ok Andrew then for Australia this will find the cheapest price in the Country to give you a starting price just enter the model in the search box.

:D Yep tried this yesterday .. I find Staticice a bit hit and miss ... not much good this time round for example. Aidan's suggestion seems the best price outside of Amazon.

Andrew
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:51 pm

Just to throw another idea into the mix - the Hero2 by GoPro produces stunning output.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:31 pm

Yep. Stunning :shock:

Is that available in Australia, or better to buy on-line from USA?
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

gregmacc

Postby gregmacc » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:33 pm

And only US $299 ... Gotta have one! :P

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:58 pm

il padrone wrote:Yep. Stunning :shock:

Is that available in Australia, or better to buy on-line from USA?
Just released in the US - can't find it on any Oz sites yet, but runout prices on the old model. I've tossing up about buying one for ages, but the picture quality of the Hero2 has made up my mind...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:28 am

RonK wrote:Just to throw another idea into the mix - the Hero2 by GoPro produces stunning output.
Its a video camera; is the still option really that good? Also can you point to any images which are not from GoPro or "sponsored" reviews?

Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

bodyboarding_bum

your Camera when touring?

Postby bodyboarding_bum » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:28 am

Check out DigitalRev, they are a HK based grey importer who I use to purchase all my camera gear from ($10k+ haha). They are ridiculously quick on postage too, if I order on friday - it arrives to me in Perth on Monday/Tuesday! :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:35 am

bodyboarding_bum wrote:Check out DigitalRev, they are a HK based grey importer who I use to purchase all my camera gear from ($10k+ haha). They are ridiculously quick on postage too, if I order on friday - it arrives to me in Perth on Monday/Tuesday! :)
Thanks for the link. Nearly $100 dearer than best price here but :(

Andrew
Andrew

jemo27

Postby jemo27 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:03 am

The easiest way to compare batttery life, is to say how many shots you can take before your Camera goes flat?

With two AA Lithium batteries i found i was taking more than a 1000 shots before i had to change batteries. With three AAA Lithium batteries i found it lasted around 500 shots.

My current Camera is AGFAPHOTO Compact 109uw, its a underwater and sports camera. 5x digital zoom 5.0 megapixel. Runs on AAA batteries with an optical lens.

My old Camera was a Kodak Easyshare C1013 with 10.3 megapixel and 3x zoom. Run on AA batteries

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:13 am

I have to say again, as an amateur photographer I would take my iPhone. I have the new 4S and the photos are very good, so is the video. Photos can be directly loaded to your blog or twitter which means you don't need a lapdog either. I use a D700 with a 14-24 F2.8 for landscapes and there is no way I'm going to carry that on a bike.

The cameras mentioned on here are great little cameras too but I just don't see the need to carry extra crap like chargers and computers when you'll be taking a phone anyway.

Have a look on Flickr for photos from the new iPhone.

Just my opinion. Really depends on personal use for the photos.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:54 am

Aushiker wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Ah ok Andrew then for Australia this will find the cheapest price in the Country to give you a starting price just enter the model in the search box.

:D Yep tried this yesterday .. I find Staticice a bit hit and miss ... not much good this time round for example. Aidan's suggestion seems the best price outside of Amazon.

Andrew
Yeah this time it turned up a dud and Aidan is cheap might have to look into getting one of these myself as there is so many glowing reviews here about this model and Aidan's price find is great.

Ricky

mike.ayling

Postby mike.ayling » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:59 am

RonK wrote:I use a Panasonic Lumix LX3. A little camera with a big reputation, now superceded by the LX5. A spare battery is a tiny impost and is good for many shots.
Great photos Ron!

Mike

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:49 pm

DaveOZ wrote:I have to say again, as an amateur photographer I would take my iPhone. I have the new 4S and the photos are very good, so is the video.
There is an interesting comparision of iPhone cameras here.

I have a Google Nexus S phone and whilst the camera is okay, I can't see myself using it as my camera on a tour ... battery life for starters, delay firing it up to take a photo, lack of camera features etc.

Andrew
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:09 pm

DaveOZ wrote:I have to say again, as an amateur photographer I would take my iPhone. I have the new 4S and the photos are very good, so is the video. Photos can be directly loaded to your blog or twitter which means you don't need a lapdog either. I use a D700 with a 14-24 F2.8 for landscapes and there is no way I'm going to carry that on a bike.

The cameras mentioned on here are great little cameras too but I just don't see the need to carry extra crap like chargers and computers when you'll be taking a phone anyway.

Have a look on Flickr for photos from the new iPhone.

Just my opinion. Really depends on personal use for the photos.
I freed myself from the tyranny of the SLR many years ago, and won't be going back.

Phone cameras may be fine if you only want to capture images for the web. If you want to do more than that, then the inadequacies of the lens will soon become obvious. It's a mistake to equate resolution(size) with quality, but a common one when phone cameras are discussed. That said, I have taken the odd picture with my iPhone, on the basis that when the moment arises, any picture is better than no picture.

I carry a computer anyway to edit my journals, so using a phone camera would not spare me that. The camera charger uses the same cord as the computer charger, is a little larger than a matchbox and weighs almost nothing, so it's no inconvenience to carry. The computer has an SD card slot, and no camera interface cable is required.

And now my camera photos are available on my iCloud Photostream and accessable to all the computers on my network within moments of capture by using an Eye-Fi SD card synced with my iPhone 4.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:23 pm

Aushiker wrote:
DaveOZ wrote:I have to say again, as an amateur photographer I would take my iPhone. I have the new 4S and the photos are very good, so is the video.
There is an interesting comparision of iPhone cameras here.

I have a Google Nexus S phone and whilst the camera is okay, I can't see myself using it as my camera on a tour ... battery life for starters, delay firing it up to take a photo, lack of camera features etc.

Andrew
That is a misleading comparison - all the images prior the 4s would probably have been enlarged so it's not so surprising that the detail has been lost. As per the comment
Interesting, but we really need 100% crops to get a true comparison
Last edited by RonK on Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:37 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Yeah this time it turned up a dud and Aidan is cheap might have to look into getting one of these myself as there is so many glowing reviews here about this model and Aidan's price find is great.
Well for me, the fact that Rob uses one (Rob is a professional photographer) and that I value his opinions and seen some of his photos taken with the camera (I use a couple of them on my blog) that is the way I will go if I buy a new camera. BTW there are some grey imports popping up on eBay. Might pick up a "bargain." :)

Andrew
Andrew