New Shot at Aussie Team

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Shot at Aussie Team

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:03 pm

Just for the record, Robbie McEwen has sign up in 2012, hire retirement year to do some riding and then convert to become the tactical analyst - scouting courses and finishlines for the team such as the TDF (should everything fall into place as hoped).
Cycling is in my BNA

philip

Postby philip » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:43 pm

Goss to greenedge... pretty big!

pauls51

Postby pauls51 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:44 pm

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:12 pm

And now Howard....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/greenedge-snares-howard

Have the ammo to win some races :D
FPR Ragamuffin

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:24 am

And now Wes !!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wesley- ... ge-in-2012

How many more to sign ?

BarryTas

Postby BarryTas » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:52 am

MichaelB wrote:And now Wes !!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wesley- ... ge-in-2012

How many more to sign ?

One day Tassie will have it's own team, it's own pro tream made up of 100% Tassie boys
when do we stop for coffee???

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:59 pm

Julian Dean remains non-committal on his cycling future beyond 2012, with the sprinter confirming he has signed a one-year deal with UCI ProTour hopefuls, GreenEdge following weeks of speculation.

"At this stage I am just looking one year at a time, and there are no specific plans to race in 2013. But you never say 'never'," he said in a GreenEdge media release. Dean finishes up with Garmin-Cervelo at the end of this current season following four years with Jonathan Vaughters' squad.

RICHARDH wrote:The Aussie Women may actually be the big winners with Greenedge, there is plenty of talent out there. Correct me if I'm wrong but i thought Stapleton was keeping the Womens team going? Shame if they are also folding, they were really the shinning light in Womens racing on how in should be done

The hugely successful High Road Sports' women's team lives on under the banner of Team Specialized lululemon in an announcement today by Velocio Sports, run by HTC-Highroad's former marketing and communications manager, Kristy Scrymgeour.

The HTC-Highroad team was forced to disband after five years in August, following a failed search for a new sponsor. Team owner Bob Stapleton held out hope that the women's outfit would continue and Highroad will support the Team Specialized lululemon.

"Bob [Stapleton] has been an avid supporter of women's cycling for many years and we would like to carry on his hard work by continuing the team with much of the same structure in place," said Director of Velocio Sports, Kristy Scrymgeour. "He has been very supportive of the project and will provide us with valuable equipment to get us going."
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:15 pm

They have enough UCI points to make the top 15, now just need to wait for 1 November 2011 to confirm they are going to the show.
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

Chuck

Postby Chuck » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:34 pm

bianchi928 wrote:They have enough UCI points to make the top 15, now just need to wait for 1 November 2011 to confirm they are going to the show.
Not sure what Bobridge's schedule will be like given it's an Olympic year, but imagine if he could take yellow in the prologue in GE's Tour debut 8)
FPR Ragamuffin

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:23 pm

bianchi928 wrote:They have enough UCI points to make the top 15, now just need to wait for 1 November 2011 to confirm they are going to the show.
It will be interesting to see which teams get the last three spots.

Geox-TMC is effectively out of the running although listed in the 16 - 20th spots.

They all have good reason to be in there, so which team would you leave out ??

AG2R La Mondiale
Geox – TMC effectively out since Geox dropped their $$
FDJ
Euskaltel – Euskadi
Team Europcar

Pity Skil didn't get in there, but that's life

bianchi928

Postby bianchi928 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:52 pm

Maybe E-E.

Given their connection to the basque region, is a world tour team really what they want especially as their main sponsers are the basque region and a basque telecommunication company.
They don't really shine at the classics (Flanders, Paris Roubaix etc) and despite Sanchez, haven't done a lot in the Tour of late (how long ago was Iban Mayo). They could still get an invite to the Vuelta.
I guess I am saying they are Basque centric and could turn their focus to other areas and hopefully maintain the sponsership next year in a market better suited than Beijing. (Euskatel are apparently having second thoughts).

I do have a soft spot for AG2R and it would be nice for the chocolate soldiers to crack the pro tour.
Stand on my dog I cut off your head

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:50 pm

Apparently Euskatel were looking at ending the sponsorship not sure were that is at. FDJ look like they picked up Garmin's sponsor BigMat http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bigmat- ... ponsor-fdj so they might be looking good especially as there is a distinct lack of french teams in the WT which just seems wrong :? Skil would have definately added something i think. Sponsorship dollars seems to be really tight in Europe which isn't really surprising is it .
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:50 am

Hi

From Road.cc

New Australian outfit GreenEdge and RadioShack-Nissan, the team formed from the merger of RadioShack and Leopard Trek which includes both Schleck brothers and Fabian Cancellara, have yet to satisfy the requirements of the UCI Licensing Commission in connection with their respective applications for a WorldTour licence for the 2012 season.

The news was povided in an update on the licensing process for the coming season provided by the UCI, which confirmed that the commission “is currently waiting for the teams to provide additional documents.”

In what is perhaps a signal that completion of the requirements regarding documentation is not a formality, the UCI added: “Therefore, as it stands, 16 teams will take part in the UCI WorldTour 2012. In accordance with UCI regulations, a maximum of 18 UCI ProTeams may take part in the UCI WorldTour.”

The UCI also confirmed that it had rejected an application for a WorldTour licence, which guarantees entry to all UCI World Calendar races including the three Grand Tours and major Classics.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:56 pm

One of the other interesting things out of the latest UCI list was that Saxo was only given a 1 year licence.

May make it harder for them to attract sponsorship given that Saxo are doing only 1 year deals, and if Conti gets suspended (oh dear, I hope so), then points may be hard for them to come by in 2012 ....

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:40 pm

So the GreenEdge training camp in Canberra kicks off today. Hoping they will pop out to the Wed night crits next week when i get back in town :lol:

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/ne ... ing-status
Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

HAKS

Postby HAKS » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:04 am

Current Ride: Trek Madone 6.5 (2013)

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:26 am

Awesome news, this should help a hell of a lot in getting a partner sponsor. Its the most strange thing about cycling that some teams have no idea where they stand for the next season not 2 months before the season starts. Could you imagine going to a potential sponsor and saying "look not entirely sure which race's where doing next year or if we will be at the biggest race of the year, that will depend on how we perform. Would you like to sponsor us ? " . Seems a bit daft to me, If there was one thing i think the UCI needs to get right is this detail it has so many follow on effects rider contracts etc , Pegasus being a prime example last year. Fingers crossed that there is a sponsor in the wings just waiting on this confirmation .
We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that works (Douglas Adams)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:03 pm

Interesting that they only got a 2 year contract, whilst the latest lot of new teams (laayooopaaard and RS) initially got 4 years, so maybe some learnings from that.

Great news anyway.

Looking fwd to seeing their jerseys, and hopefully with a big sponsor like BHP, NAB or even someone like Commonwealth Bank !!!

With Saxo only getting a year, is the UCI expecting Bertie to be banned and thet they'll not get enough points to qualify for next year. Sax's "leader" for the Giro is a 22 year old Polish rider that crashed out of the Vuelta when in 39th spot on GC. That's running on a bit of hope .....

JV911

Postby JV911 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:22 pm

MichaelB wrote:Looking fwd to seeing their jerseys, and hopefully with a big sponsor like BHP, NAB or even someone like Commonwealth Bank !!!
more likely to be Santos given their involvement in the TdU

CBA is too conservative and already sponsor the cricket
<---LACC--->
<---BMC SLR01--->

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:13 am

JV911 wrote:
MichaelB wrote:Looking fwd to seeing their jerseys, and hopefully with a big sponsor like BHP, NAB or even someone like Commonwealth Bank !!!
more likely to be Santos given their involvement in the TdU

CBA is too conservative and already sponsor the cricket
Make more than enough profit to chuck $1M or 2 a year to the team. The international exposure would be great !!

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:06 pm

I wonder what Chris White has to say about GE getting the nod from the UCI :lol:

skull

Postby skull » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:42 pm

Rowena Fry a top female athlete and a top person as well was officially named today.

Also another Tasmanian

Drunkmonkey

Postby Drunkmonkey » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:24 am

http://www.greenedgecycling.com/news/gr ... ith-subaru

GreenEDGE Joins Forces with Subaru

When the 2012 season kicks off, GreenEDGE – the newly appointed Australian WorldTour team – will be driving Subaru

Australia’s key cycling organizations have come together to form an alliance with Subaru in an effort to promote cycling in Australia and push a message of road safety across the nation. GreenEDGE joins Cycling Australia, AustCycle and the Amy Gillet Foundation in a partnership with the All-Wheel Drive car company.

“With GreenEDGE we have a team that can capture the imagination of Australians as they take on the best in the word,” said Subaru Australia General Marketing Manager Andrew Caie. “The team will have a huge influence in getting young people connected to the sport and out on their bikes to emulate their cycling heroes.

“As a company we’re in this for the long run as we know Subaru customers love to cycle, and, as a car company, we are committed to the safe use of the roads by everyone.”

GreenEDGE General Manager Shayne Bannan considers this alliance a perfect partnership for Australia’s first WorldTour team.

“For GreenEDGE this partnership is extremely valuable on several levels. With Subaru, we have access to the perfect vehicles for all our different purposes and demanding tasks throughout the season. From the cobbled paths of Paris-Roubaix to the alpine roads in the Tour de France, we’ll be driving great cars that suit the task at hand.

“Also, and just as importantly, we’ll be part of a great initiative promoting sustainability, safety and the joy of riding bikes. It’s great to see a big, international brand like Subaru support such a valuable cause and we are very happy to be a part of it too.”

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:08 pm

MichaelB wrote:Interesting that they only got a 2 year contract, whilst the latest lot of new teams (laayooopaaard and RS) initially got 4 years, so maybe some learnings from that. ....
I think Gerry Ryans' private finacial backing is only for two years. After that the team better have found a major sponsor by then.

MichaelB wrote:
JV911 wrote:
Make more than enough profit to chuck $1M or 2 a year to the team. The international exposure would be great !!
From my reading, it takes some where between $12 million to $16 million to run a World Tour team for a single season. Two million might pay for your top four or six riders.

RICHARDH

Postby RICHARDH » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:45 pm

Interesting article, certainly agree that more needs to be done in regards to there marketing. Nygard needs to start earning his pay check, in a week were they got WT status annouced there womens team and had there team presentation the main sream media has almost completely ignored them.

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/ph ... -greenedge