Reflective tape pictures

InTheWoods

Reflective tape pictures

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:59 am

Here's my bike wearing some 3M reflective tape (my commute is often in the dark). The tape on my rims will obviously be spinning, and is visible from the front and rear as well. The bit on my pedals is a reflective ankle strap.

Some of the retroreflective tape is actually black. Its not quite as reflective as the normal white stuff but its much less visible when taped onto black components of the bike.

Side view. I decided to only put 3 larger reflectors on each rim, with the idea that when the wheels are spinning, I want a visible gap between each one rather than it blurring into a circle - I want the movement. The tape goes over the entire cross section of the rim excluding the brake part. This means they are visible from behind and in front as well due to the angles covered.

Front view. The reflectors on the rims will work well as they spin around (as do the ankle straps) - you can see 2 on the front wheel and one on the rear wheel here:

Obviously I have lights as well, will try to take a movie of what it looks like at some point.

MREJ

Reflective tape pictures

Postby MREJ » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:54 am

Looks very effective. I also use reflective ankle straps - easy and very noticeable. I feel more confident wearing them.
2016 S-Works Tarmac, 2014 Wabi Lightning SE, 2012 Felt F75, 2011 Genesis Equilibrium 20, ancient Avanti Pista track bike

jasonc

Re: Reflective tape pictures

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:33 am

i think we need to see a picture of what they look like in the light of day.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:52 am

In retrospect maybe I should have done lots of blue&white stripes together - or even checkers ;)

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:58 pm

Good stuff. Definitely my reflector of choice, the plastic craptastics that come from the factory are too 19th century for me.

Where do you score your stuff Inwood?

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:33 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Where do you score your stuff Inwood?
Just ebay, got it off this guy: http://www.ebay.com/sch/armyof11/m.html ... ksid=p3686

The white and blue are very reflective. The red not quite as good but not bad. The black tape really is black, and it really does light up at night, but its not quite as bright, and it seems to need the angle between the light source and your eyes to be smaller. So if you have black components and are concerned for aesthetics, its ok for those if you don't mind it not performing as good as the other ones. You can see the black ones in the pictures above, they are the ones on the side and front of my forks.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:39 pm

Nice work - just watching commuting cyclists the other day there are big differences in visibility and once you get into traffic, the louder you are (visually), the better.
Cycling is in my BNA

Schmenz

Postby Schmenz » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:00 pm

anyone in syd want to go halvsies with me? i only need 1 sheet not 5.

i was also considering one of these and chopping it up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REFLECTIVE-RIM- ... 588f518753
Newbie to the cycling world.
2011 Giant TCR Advanced W
http://www.sea2summit2011.blogspot.com

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:13 am

Inwood wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Where do you score your stuff Inwood?
Just ebay, got it off this guy: http://www.ebay.com/sch/armyof11/m.html ... ksid=p3686

The white and blue are very reflective. The red not quite as good but not bad. The black tape really is black, and it really does light up at night, but its not quite as bright, and it seems to need the angle between the light source and your eyes to be smaller. So if you have black components and are concerned for aesthetics, its ok for those if you don't mind it not performing as good as the other ones. You can see the black ones in the pictures above, they are the ones on the side and front of my forks.
I got some too. The 'black' is actually more like a dark metallic grey which actually matches the colour of my Kona really well !!!.

Greta service and prices from teh guy as well.

kennethon

Postby kennethon » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:43 pm

I use those reflective tapes stickers on my ankles when riding at night too. Keep them on my socks to prevent the irritation that comes with it :)