your Camera when touring?

RonK

Re: your Camera when touring?

Postby RonK » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:14 pm

Aushiker wrote:
RonK wrote:Just to throw another idea into the mix - the Hero2 by GoPro produces stunning output.
Its a video camera; is the still option really that good? Also can you point to any images which are not from GoPro or "sponsored" reviews?

Andrew
Here are the specifications:
RESOLUTIONS: 11MP, 8MP, 5 MP
FOV: Wide 170º FOV, Medium 127º FOV
CAPTURE MODES: Single, 10 Photo Burst, Time-Lapse*, Self-Timer
* Now supports time-lapse photo every 0.5 seconds. Requires Class 10 speed SD Card.

And this upcoming feature is very interesting:
Wi-Fi BacPacâ„¢ and Wi-Fi Remoteâ„¢ Compatible (coming soon)
Long Range Remote Control of up to 50 GoPro Cameras
Wi-Fi Video/Photo Preview + Playback + Control via GoPro App
Live Streaming Video and Photos to the Web

The ability to control the camera remotely will be a huge advantage to the solo tourist,

In reality, I would be surprised if the still images are as good as my LX3, but I'm very willing to be surprised.

The Hero2 has only just been released, so not much independent footage to be seen yet. But there are a few -lookie here.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:35 am

Hi

Comment on and photos (as opposed to video) from a GoPro camera at VeloDirt - Oregon Dunes - North
I only brought the GoPro camera, which is hit-or-miss on photos and video. I love that it’s waterproof and shoots in widescreen, but I’m tired of having lots of dark, out of focus pictures.

Andrew
Andrew

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:42 am

Aushiker wrote:
}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Yeah this time it turned up a dud and Aidan is cheap might have to look into getting one of these myself as there is so many glowing reviews here about this model and Aidan's price find is great.
Well for me, the fact that Rob uses one (Rob is a professional photographer) and that I value his opinions and seen some of his photos taken with the camera (I use a couple of them on my blog) that is the way I will go if I buy a new camera. BTW there are some grey imports popping up on eBay. Might pick up a "bargain." :)

Andrew
Andrew I'm a real hack when it come to being a photographer so in this area I need to listen to those around me and like you go with the members here and there advice. Thanks for the link I have made up my mind and will search out the cheapest option to purchase one or best deal. Also thanks for bring this thread to life it came at the right time for me and pushed me over the edge to make a decision rather than hold onto my old camera.

Ricky

spirito

Postby spirito » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:23 am

[quote="}SkOrPn--7:] ..... rather than hold onto my old camera.

[/quote]

You'll be fine. I had some old camera gear sitting in boxes for years and only when I bought a used LX3 (just to try it) did I realize that there was no point even keeping most of the old stuff. Life's too short, and if you buy wisely and familiarize yourself with the functions of most new camera's I'm sure you'll be happy and take some great pics. I'd wasting far too long holding into "serious" camera gear and being a snob when such brilliant, innovative and affordable camera's would have enabled me to capture much more special moments, especially when out riding.
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:32 am

I still have that old camera gear, sitting in a gear bag downstairs. What to do with it all now?? :?
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

spirito

Postby spirito » Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:24 pm

il padrone wrote:I still have that old camera gear, sitting in a gear bag downstairs. What to do with it all now?? :?
Sell it and buy more bikes and overseas tickets like I did. :wink:

I was pleasantly surprised at how much it all sold for and also relieved at not having to worry about where to keep/store it and how much to insure it all for.

I've kept some prime rangefinder lenses that I use with a 4/3 body and use the LX3 for about 75% of regular, out and about shooting. Simple, capable and quite cheap compared to what good photog gear once used to be.
Cranky Jim wrote: God did not invent gears. Men invented gears ... because we are not gods.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:25 pm

spirito wrote:[quote="}SkOrPn--7:] ..... rather than hold onto my old camera.
You'll be fine. I had some old camera gear sitting in boxes for years and only when I bought a used LX3 (just to try it) did I realize that there was no point even keeping most of the old stuff. Life's too short, and if you buy wisely and familiarize yourself with the functions of most new camera's I'm sure you'll be happy and take some great pics. I'd wasting far too long holding into "serious" camera gear and being a snob when such brilliant, innovative and affordable camera's would have enabled me to capture much more special moments, especially when out riding.[/quote][/quote]

I'm ok with tech things as the manual will get used to understand the basics spirito but what gets me is understanding the jargon used for all the different settings used for taking an image for different lighting. Little things like that is what I have to get my head around and because photography isn't my strong point nor something I like reading up on click and shoot is it for me but this camera with add to my limited knowledge and I dare say make things a little easier as I'm prepared to take things further.

Ricky

Riddley

Postby Riddley » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:30 pm

I also have the LX3: f2-2.8

http://www.flickr.com/photos/riddley_wa ... hotostream

Tough, takes good pics, iA is great, but you also can go balls-to-the-wall manual if you want to. Scene modes are useful. Max exposure 60 secs (in manual mode).

Looking at LX5, the extra zoom (90mm equiv) is a good option, and the photo quality is slightly better than the 3, due to a new sensor and firmware.

I found this book really useful: http://www.amazon.com/Photographers-Gui ... 0964987511

You can also add an adapter tube for polarizing and neutral density filters:
DMW-LA4/6 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7 ... apter.html

I find the polarizer hard to use on the LCD- too much reflection to tell if you have the sweet spot. That said, it's a useful filter for any photographer. You can get a feel for what people are doing with these cameras here:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/843626@N22/

As someone pointed out below - small zoom, small megapixels are better options in point and shoot style cameras.

Riddley

Postby Riddley » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:46 pm

jemo27 wrote: so I tried one without a lens and I'm not as happy with it.
Yes, a camera without a lens doesn't work very well :wink:

gregmacc

Postby gregmacc » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:55 pm

... pinhole? ... :shock:

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:05 am

Aushiker wrote:Hi

Comment on and photos (as opposed to video) from a GoPro camera at VeloDirt - Oregon Dunes - North
I only brought the GoPro camera, which is hit-or-miss on photos and video. I love that it’s waterproof and shoots in widescreen, but I’m tired of having lots of dark, out of focus pictures.

Andrew
As a point of reference (and great service)
Rob at HTA http://www.highlytunedathletes.com.au/ stocks the GoPro HD range
Hope this is helpful

Aidan
Surly Ogre, Extrawheel trailer.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:25 am

Hi

Came across this review of the LX5. Might be of value.

Andrew
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:11 am

Aushiker wrote:Came across this review of the LX5. Might be of value.
The reviewer mentioned the lens cap - it's been the source of endless angst on the LX3/LX5 forums. You may want to consider this cap.

Personally I don't find the OEM cap any inconvenience, and I have a polarising filter on my LX3 anyway. It requires a long barrel - long enough to fit over the fully extended lens. It does make the camera more bulky, as it's not something you would want to remove and replace too often, but it makes a huge difference to my images.

Note the aspect control switch at the base of the lens - that is one of the most useful and convenient features of the LX3. Without need to use the menu I can switch from 16:9 for landscapes to 4:3 for general scenes and 3:2 for vertical images and portraits.

With the filter mounted it snuggles nicely in a Tamrac 5692 case. The only other accessory I carry is a Zipshot.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:24 pm

Hi

Don't you love eBay, well sometimes :) Someone recently paid $397 for a grey import LX5 with no real warranty. At least Aidan's mob are offering warranty locally and are cheaper. A nice reminder to do your research :mrgreen:

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:53 pm

Hi

It was suggested to me that the new Fuji X10 would be a better choice now than the LX5. Pricing however is very high but given it is only just hitting the market. I might hold for a few months and see how the price goes.

Down side is it is a 28 mm lens versus the 24 mm on the LX5.

Andrew
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:00 pm

Aushiker wrote:It was suggested to me that the new Fuji X10 would be a better choice now than the LX5. Pricing however is very high but given it is only just hitting the market. I might hold for a few months and see how the price goes.

Down side is it is a 28 mm lens versus the 24 mm on the LX5.
From my reading of the preview, there is much to like about the X10 - the viewfinder for one is something I'd really appreciate. It's a little disappointing that the lens isn't wider, and battery life is really poor at only 270 shots. It will be interesting to see how it performs on a full review. I'd be surprised if the retail price falls quickly.

spirito

Postby spirito » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:28 pm

Aushiker wrote:Hi

It was suggested to me that the new Fuji X10 would be a better choice now than the LX5. Pricing however is very high but given it is only just hitting the market. I might hold for a few months and see how the price goes.

Too expensive. Can't drop it, get it soaked, or stolen. Size/weight compared to the LX3 is also against it. My LX3 fits easy in a jersey pocket. If I crash and i gets damaged I'll buy another used one for less than $200.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:58 am

Theres a secondhand LX5 for sale on overclockers.com.au currently :D
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showt ... p?t=994803

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:03 pm

rifraf wrote:Theres a secondhand LX5 for sale on overclockers.com.au currently :D
http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showt ... p?t=994803
Need to register which is a slow process. Do you have the asking price by any chance?

Andrew
Andrew

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:26 pm

Hi Andrew, I've sent you a PM.
Overclockers is an excellent site with topics catering for a very wide audience including photography.
I very highly recommend you sign up.
A huge resource of knowledge at your fingertips which as bailed me out of many a conundrum.
I'm not going to post all the details of the add as the owner has only posted it for members of the overclockers site.
I dont want to lose my membership by breaking rules and I cannot be bothered at the moment reading a whole list of rules
when for the same investment in time someone interested can just sign up to overclockers.
If they dont like the site then they can cancel their membership.
What I'll do is PM the OP and ask permission now to post the details of his add on this site.
I'll update this when/if I get a response. :D
Cheers
Aidan

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:34 pm

rifraf wrote:Hi Andrew, I've sent you a PM.
Overclockers is an excellent site with topics catering for a very wide audience including photography.
I very highly recommend you sign up.
A huge resource of knowledge at your fingertips which as bailed me out of many a conundrum.
I'm not going to post all the details of the add as the owner has only posted it for members of the overclockers site.
I dont want to lose my membership by breaking rules and I cannot be bothered at the moment reading a whole list of rules
when for the same investment in time someone interested can just sign up to overclockers.
If they dont like the site then they can cancel their membership.
What I'll do is PM the OP and ask permission now to post the details of his add on this site.
I'll update this when/if I get a response. :D
Cheers
Aidan
Hi

Well I have signed up and have had my membership approved but cannot access the posting so I will give it a miss. Thanks anyway for posting it.

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:36 am

RonK wrote: I'd be surprised if the retail price falls quickly.
Dropped $200 to $300 already ... if it keeps up this pace it might be worth looking at:)

Andrew
Andrew

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:39 am

Aushiker wrote:
Dropped $200 to $300 already ... if it keeps up this pace it might be worth looking at:)
eBay prices now dropped to $583 for the Fuji X10 from $1000 when I first heard of them about a month ago. Starting to close to be competitive.

Andrew
Andrew

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:41 am

Aushiker wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
eBay prices now dropped to $583 for the Fuji X10 from $1000 when I first heard of them about a month ago. Starting to close to be competitive.

Andrew
That is astonishing - I might be tempted to upgrade from my LX3 if the prices become comparable with the LX5.

Negatives are short battery life and not-so-wide angle lens, but maybe I can live with that.

rifraf

Postby rifraf » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:31 pm

Dunno if it helps anyone,
but for those considering a GOPRO HD Hero2,
I spotted them at http://www.torpedo7.com.au/shop/bike/cameras for $299 which is about $50 cheaper
than the last cheap price I spotted.
I know they are $399 at the local mall here in WA.
I only mention it remembering that they were mentioned in this thread.
Myself, I've gone in the opposite direction and bought a Nikon D7000 dslr to help weigh down the bike :wink:

X10 down to $417 at
http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/sto ... oduct=3951

Panasonic LX5 now $329
http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/sto ... oduct=3044