Brissy bike clubs / rides

Brissy bike clubs / rides

Postby Sam_boss260 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:08 pm

Hi guys,

Relatively new to the whole bike riding thing, so apologies if I come across as naive.

I'm just starting out, and at the moment just riding solo, and sometimes with some guys from work, but they are fairly advanced compared to me.

Is it worth me joining a club, like the Balmoral Cycling Club, or do I try and find a coach for some tips and pointers?

I don't really want to join a riding group as I probably won't be able to keep up or be able to do the long rides.

What have other beginner or novice riders done before?
Last year I swore that I would never wear lycra...... must remember never to swear again....
Sam_boss260
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Westside

by BNA » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:07 pm

BNA
 

Re: Brissy bike clubs / rides

Postby Le Velo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:07 pm

Hi Sam,

Welcome to the cycling world and enjoy ..... I would recommend to join some sort of cycling club / group to learn things such as different training techniques, drafting, riding in a bunch , etc as well as technical things such as proper gearing use and maybe some tips on how to service your bike yourself, proper nutrition, etc....
The more you ride with other people the quicker you will pick up your pace and will make the ride more enjoyable too
Most groups / clubs have different speed group that you could get into so don't worry about that.
Otherwise go to some of the organized rides around Brisbane which also have different speed categories to cater for everyone
Your fitness will come very quick and you ll build up to do long distances in no time ......but the secret to get better is to ride, ride, ride and ride more ....
The river loop is a popular ride in the morning with many different groups you could jump on the back off and hang on to but don't be intimidated by the quicker riders out there ..... Remember we all started somewhere.
Image
User avatar
Le Velo
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:59 pm

Re: Brissy bike clubs / rides

Postby Sam_boss260 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:43 pm

Thanks Le Velo, I'll start looking into ths further. It's amazing how much of a beginner I feel at times. Couple of clip stacks and just getting stable on the bike, it's not that easy. But all in good time and as you said I just have to keep riding and riding !!
Last year I swore that I would never wear lycra...... must remember never to swear again....
Sam_boss260
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Westside

Re: Brissy bike clubs / rides

Postby sumgy » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:45 pm

Sam_boss260 wrote:Thanks Le Velo, I'll start looking into ths further. It's amazing how much of a beginner I feel at times. Couple of clip stacks and just getting stable on the bike, it's not that easy. But all in good time and as you said I just have to keep riding and riding !!


Not sure if this is the sort of thing you would be keen on but Uni have training sessions on Tuesday and Thursday, club races every 2nd week and also regular club rides.
The training is for all levels and the races cover A,B, C and X grades (so all levels of skill and fitness).
User avatar
sumgy
 
Posts: 1348
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: Brissy bike clubs / rides

Postby Sam_boss260 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:56 pm

sumgy wrote:
Sam_boss260 wrote:Thanks Le Velo, I'll start looking into ths further. It's amazing how much of a beginner I feel at times. Couple of clip stacks and just getting stable on the bike, it's not that easy. But all in good time and as you said I just have to keep riding and riding !!


Not sure if this is the sort of thing you would be keen on but Uni have training sessions on Tuesday and Thursday, club races every 2nd week and also regular club rides.
The training is for all levels and the races cover A,B, C and X grades (so all levels of skill and fitness).


Where abouts and what times?
Last year I swore that I would never wear lycra...... must remember never to swear again....
Sam_boss260
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Westside

Re: Brissy bike clubs / rides

Postby sumgy » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:43 am

Sam_boss260 wrote:
sumgy wrote:
Sam_boss260 wrote:Thanks Le Velo, I'll start looking into ths further. It's amazing how much of a beginner I feel at times. Couple of clip stacks and just getting stable on the bike, it's not that easy. But all in good time and as you said I just have to keep riding and riding !!


Not sure if this is the sort of thing you would be keen on but Uni have training sessions on Tuesday and Thursday, club races every 2nd week and also regular club rides.
The training is for all levels and the races cover A,B, C and X grades (so all levels of skill and fitness).


Where abouts and what times?


Sam
Keep in mind this is club member only stuff and to do the races you have to have a race license.
Have a read of the Uni website for more info:

http://www.uqcycle.com/

...and particularly the section about memberships:

http://www.uqcycle.com/index.php?option ... icle&id=10
User avatar
sumgy
 
Posts: 1348
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:58 pm

Re: Brissy bike clubs / rides

Postby uncle arthur » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:49 am

SPIKE Triathlon squad also do a bike handling/technique/skills/training session once a week over at UofQ. It's $10 casual, there's a mix of skill levels, and it's a good session - and yes - it's a triathlon squad as such, but you still have to be able to ride the bike.
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!
User avatar
uncle arthur
 
Posts: 1387
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:45 pm
Location: Brisvegas

Re: Brissy bike clubs / rides

Postby Sam_boss260 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:55 am

uncle arthur wrote:SPIKE Triathlon squad also do a bike handling/technique/skills/training session once a week over at UofQ. It's $10 casual, there's a mix of skill levels, and it's a good session - and yes - it's a triathlon squad as such, but you still have to be able to ride the bike.



Thanks Uncle Arthur... this could be what I am looking for.
Last year I swore that I would never wear lycra...... must remember never to swear again....
Sam_boss260
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:08 pm
Location: Brisbane, Westside

Re: Brissy bike clubs / rides

Postby Crawf » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:28 pm

Pay to learn how to ride your bike?

Everyone has to start somewhere, why not just join one of the numerous LBS rides around Brisbane that have novice slow groups?
Or contact Balmoral and join one of their Sunday morning rides.
Crawf
 
Posts: 1597
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:20 pm


Return to Queensland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot]



Support BNA
Click for online shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Cycling Express Cycling Express
Ebay Ebay AU
ProBikeKit ProBikeKit UK
Evans Cycles Evans Cycles UK
JensonUSA Jenson USA
JensonUSA Competitive Cyclist