STRIPPING & PAINT FRESHENING

feelthewheel

STRIPPING & PAINT FRESHENING

Postby feelthewheel » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:33 am

Hello Retro Cycling Forum
This is my first usergroup (ever) so if I get this all wrong please forgive me!

I have two questions:
1 Paint stripping - I've read a few posts about stripping layers of paint off old frames to reveal the original (someone had done this to a BATES frame I think). How exactly is this done please? And how do you not take away too much of the original colours (eg how do you negate the effect of the stripper)?

2 Bringing up flat paint - I've purchased an old 1950's English frame which time has severely flattened the shine of the paintwork on. The actual paint itself is in very good condition, just very dull and lifeless. What techniques and materials would people recommend to restore the good looks to this bicycle?

Thanks everyone who is able to help!

Torana68

Postby Torana68 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:06 pm

Hey!
Dont use chemical stripper........... it will turn everything to mush, wet and dry sandpaper very fine used wet might get you through the layers, I use a 2c piece as its nice and soft , use it as a scraper, if it hasnt been blasted the new paint wont adhere too well to the original as usually people give them a quick hit of paint with little care. Its practice and lots of care. Its not easy, try differrent light and angles before you give up, sometimes you cant see anything under fluro but you can in the shade outside...
Lack of shine, try auto polishes , if that fails try bees wax appplied thinly post how you go.
Roger
Ozpushies! for ALL Australian made bikes.
"It's only original once"

feelthewheel

THANKS FOR RESPONSE

Postby feelthewheel » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:05 pm

Hi Torana68
Many thanks for the information - will give the techniques a gentle tryout!
Andrew, feelthewheel