How to Fall ?

BoardRider

How to Fall ?

Postby BoardRider » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:15 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if there is a right way to fall off a bike at speed. My first thought was not too.
I dont want to practice ? Is there a way of causing yourself the least possible injuries ,if you have time to react.
Thanks in advance
Board Rider

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Source Unknown

trailgumby

Re: How to Fall ?

Postby trailgumby » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:26 pm

If you're going to go and you can't wash off speed, turning it into a tuck/tumble/roll will do you the least amount of harm. A hard stop tends to break things. :oops:

The trick is to wash off as much speed with the brakes as you can before the dismount actually happens.

Apple

Postby Apple » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:30 pm

Make sure it is graceful and whatever you do, do not show that you are upset or need an ambulance, hold your head up high and smile :D. Get up if able brush your knees and shoulders from dirt, pick up your bike and walk away, just keep walking and hope no one you know saw you. :wink:
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Speak your mind,Those that mind dont matter, Those that matter dont mind!!

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:31 pm

Richard.L

Postby Richard.L » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:10 pm

If you lose your front wheel mid turn try to keep your hands on the bars(if you want to protect your bike)

Easier said than done in a split second coming off.

arkle

Postby arkle » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:15 pm

Hmm... well the only time I fell off at speed my knee and then my face hit the ground before I had time to even let go of the handlebars, so there probably wasn't much time to do anything pre-planned.

As for stationary clip-stacks, of which I've now had two, the established mode seems to be to get the leg you're falling towards onto the ground as quickly as possibly and use it to support the fall, i.e. deliberately put your knee/thigh/bum down rather than simply topple over sitting bolt upright. It worked for me although my ankle did hurt for several days afterwards.

arkle
http://www.facebook.com/SteveHargreavesArtwork
instagram: @stevehargreavesartwork

moreegolfer

How to Fall ?

Postby moreegolfer » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:16 pm

I have first hand knowledge after dismounting yesterday at 20+km/hr because my left leg locked up in cramp. I used my right elbow to bear the weight of my fall. In the end I got back on the bike with a bit of bark missing a bit of blood and a few bruises but able to ride the 20 odd Kim's home. My helmet didn't hit the bitumen and a few scrapes on the bike but otherwise rideable. My shoulder is fairly tender but I will be back on the bike tomorrow.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:05 pm

Topic was discussed in the Falling Correctly thread just two months ago.

Previously discussed topics can be found by googling : let me show you how
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

ginny247

Postby ginny247 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:36 pm

I've fallen off before going down Sheoak Rd. I went through this pothole I didn't see, my front wheel buckled and I hit the deck hard. Was going around 45-50 kmph by the time I knew what had happened I was lying in the middle of the road in agony, I believe It's something you cant prepare yourself for. I had to go to Hospital to get the wounds cleaned out.

buzz

Postby buzz » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:15 am

Back in high school we were taught in Physical Education classes the correct way to fall.

Sweeper59

Postby Sweeper59 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:07 am

buzz wrote:Back in high school we were taught in Physical Education classes the correct way to fall.
Back in high school, many of us were a lot more supple than we are today. :D
Giant TCR 0
Nobody looks back on their life....and remembers the nights they got plenty of sleep !!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:48 pm

buzz wrote:Back in high school we were taught in Physical Education classes the correct way to fall.
On a soft grassy oval at slow speed. Not from a pushy on tar at high speed.

TailWind

How to Fall ?

Postby TailWind » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:09 pm

Edit: Accidental post, was reading topic and stuffed phone into pocket, which resulted in an empty post.
For what it's worth, I certainly feel the effects of a stack for longer now than I did in school. :)
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

buzz

Postby buzz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:06 pm

MichaelB wrote:
On a soft grassy oval at slow speed. Not from a pushy on tar at high speed.
We were taught at varying of levels of speed on a variety of surfaces. As you have noted it is going to be a bit different learning to fall in a controlled environment, than coming off the bike at speed on unforgiving tar. However by developing the correct way to fall to an autonomous skill level, when falling off the bike at speed your automatic impulse is going to be to fall in the manner taught.

BRLVR.v2

Postby BRLVR.v2 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:10 pm

BoardRider wrote:Hi,
I was wondering if there is a right way to fall off a bike at speed. My first thought was not too.
I dont want to practice ? Is there a way of causing yourself the least possible injuries ,if you have time to react.
Thanks in advance

toolonglegs

How to Fall ?

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:32 pm

As long as it is front of a crowd with video running it is ok... What's the point of a 10 point fall if no one is there to see it!.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:52 pm

BRLVR.v2 wrote: Image
Sorry brauluver, but that comment's worth The McEnroe award...
There is a way of falling to minimize injury, and the NSW bicycle cops who have to pursing villains
fleeing up stairs, gutters and similar obstacles are well trained in them - before they go out on patrol.
Next time you see your local bicycle patrol police, have a chat with them about what training they get on this.
The only dumb questions are the ones that are not asked.
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:15 pm

wombatK wrote:There is a way of falling to minimize injury, and the NSW bicycle cops who have to pursing villains
fleeing up stairs, gutters and similar obstacles are well trained in them - before they go out on patrol.
Next time you see your local bicycle patrol police, have a chat with them about what training they get on this.
The only dumb questions are the ones that are not asked.
My curiousity is piqued! I will ask.

An aside - Why is this thread buried under SA?

I bailed up a pair of cycle cops this morning at the Christmas Pageant. They reckoned it sounded like a myth and certainly never they and their colleagues get no instruction on it in WA.

It would make interesting reading though if there is a correct way to fall. Does anyone know, for example if professional riders have an accepted way of going about a fall?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle